• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Break away cable "S" hook broken

Brian_NY

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
I have a 2017 Shorelandr dual axle trailer:

I came home from a day on the lake and I noticed that the safety break away "S" hook was ripped off the cable where it attaches to the hitch. I am guessing it probably broke off on a sharp turn.

Is this a difficult job to replace the cable safely or should a mechanic do the job?

Where can I buy a cable replacement and is there any guides on how to do the repair.

Thank you in advance for any help.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'm not sure if the Shorelandr trailers are exactly the same but here's a pretty informative video how it looks inside this trailer mechanism

Brian_NY

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Thanks for the reply. I saw that video but I was unsure if I wanted to try it since it dealt with safety. After watching the video a second time, I think I will take her apart and see what's going on.

Any suggestions on where to find a break away cable?

Thanks

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

Brian_NY

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Thank you very much!

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I broke mine when I first got it. I forget where I got the part but it was cheap and easy to fix.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Here is a link to an older post on the subject on Yamaha jet boaters.

http://yamahajetboaters.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=63775&p=524241&hilit=Safety+cable#p524241

There is a link to pacific trailers in the string referenced. Pacific trialers sells complete surge brake actuators as well as parts to them. Their site also contains a short animated video of bow surge brakes work.

The long and the short of it is that the concepts of what to fix and how a simple but for me actually replacing the cable was a time consuming pos. If I had to do it again I would replace the entire assembly for $150ish instead is just the safety cable for $5.
Why? Because I think I could replace in an hour or less including bleeding the brakes where as it took me 4 or more hours to repair the unit.

If you go the repair route I recommend that you do so on a bench in the shade.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I didn't have to take off the surge, it was left behind. It literally was a 30 minute job.

fraserjr

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I didn't have to take off the surge, it was left behind. It literally was a 30 minute job.
Can you explain this a little further? I have a broken break away cable as well that I have been putting off fixing.

Brian_NY

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
I finally found the right part number after finding the model number of my actuator on the front of the trailer.
It was UFP A-60 and the breakaway part number is 34370 with a new number of 32264. It just ordered one on ebay for $20. It comes with the cable, breakaway retainer ring and the clip for mounting inside the actuator.

I literally just got this email from Shorelandr containing the manual for the A-60A, 75A and 84 actuators. Hope it helps someone.

Attachments

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Can you explain this a little further? I have a broken break away cable as well that I have been putting off fixing.
There are 2 pins on the trailer that have snap rings on them. Pull those 2 pins out and the slide assembly will just come out the front. Note where the bushing are inside. It can be a pain but isn't too bad to fix.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Others’ experience is bound to be different than mine but the most time consuming part of this was removing and reinstalling the brake line to the solenoid, it’s threaded but does not flex much add to that the tight working conditions and it resulted in a 30 minute job turning into a 4+ hour job for me and another member who had an mfi trailer.

$20 on eBay for the cable, s hook and two washers. I’m sure I paid just $3 for the cable, it came with the washers (same as those taped into my owners manual) and the s hook installed. I think reused the clip on the shaft. Again I bough from the site with the animation on how siege brakes work.

Brian_NY

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
I got my new breakaway cable today and I will put it on tomorrow. Do I have to disconnect the brake line to change the cable, I really don't want to bleed the brakes. Any suggestions would be helpful. thanks

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I’d take another look at the video posted by @haknslash above, as I recall that guy did not detach his Break line.

Maccam26

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
There are 2 pins on the trailer that have snap rings on them. Pull those 2 pins out and the slide assembly will just come out the front. Note where the bushing are inside. It can be a pain but isn't too bad to fix.
Was there enough brake line slack to do the work without disconnecting

PJ73

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
You can pull up the VIN of your trailer and then go to their site to cross reference what you need. Go here https://www.shorelandr.com/parts/.

You can go here too https://midwestindustries.partsmartweb.com/scripts/EmpartISAPI.dll?MF. Not sure which Yamaha trailer folder it is but when I click one of the ones named CURRENT they have a sub folder with the various assemblies in there.

View attachment 78463

View attachment 78464

View attachment 78465

View attachment 78466
Nice work, But don't expect a pat on the butt...

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Was there enough brake line slack to do the work without disconnecting
You do not have to disconnect the brake line from the silonoide.