• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Brevard/Space Coast Florida Area

chris325s

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
All, I wanted to reach out to any Brevard/Space Coast residents (Melbourne, Viera, Palm Bay, Rockledge, etc...)....was wondering what the condition of the Indian River/Intracoastal boating was these days...I've heard the last few years took it's toll...

I left in 2012 with 2 Jet Ski's and a number of weekends going up and down between 520 and 192 on the intracoastal, pulling tubes, etc...moved to upstate SC (lakes) and 2 kids later, upgraded to an AR195...but miss the Space Coast. The wife and I are driving down in March to check out the area again, network some, and are hoping to get back 'home' by summer time...but a big part of it that hopefully hasn't changed to much is boating...what are you still there seeing?

Thanks
Chris

Reasy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Hi Chris,
If you decide to visit this area- check launch schedules.
Kelly Park just SW of RT 528 on the Banana River has an excellent boat ramp. The best viewing area is north 0f RT 528. Follow the channel to the last spoil island and drop anchor east of the channel. Be careful not to travel and further because you are just outside the boundaries of the Space Center.
Even if there isn't a launch this is a nice place to visit.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm looking at relocating to the area. What's the jet boating Ike there? I grew up in WPB where it was mostly wake boarding in the intracoastal and offshore fishing boats. Been living in NC and we have nice lakes with sand bars to hang at, which I prefer. What sort of boating can I expect in Melbourne?

Reasy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Probably not as nice as NC- more like WPB. Although the spoil islands this area have a few sandbars.
The closest to Melbourne is marker 21about 7 miles S. Farther south including Sebastain Inlet sandbars change with annual storms. Sebastian having the clearest water.
North around Cocoa and Cocoa Beach You will find local hangouts N of Rt 528 at both ends of the barge canal.
If you don't mind trailering check out the St Johns river and springs like Sliver Glen.
Pictures from Silver Glen in October when crowds are much less. Water temp 72 year round.

Attachments

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It's looking more and more likely (I just have to accept the offer at this point).

Do you know much about the area in general? Seems like Palm Bay is a bit cheaper, where's the good places to live?

Reasy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Moved here in '79 and have watched the area grow.
Palm Bay is a nice area. Check the availability of locations on Turkey Creek in Palm Bay. One of the few places where you can go from fresh to salt water in a few minutes.
If you want space- check out the rural area S of Palm Bay. It's only 5 miles from Palm Bay to Grant.
If you like beachside plan to pay at least 1.5X more.
Viera, a new and growing area just N of Melbourne is worth a look.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My dad lives in SE Palm Bay. I also lived there years ago. Nice area, a lot more suburban than Melbourne. Close to the intercoastal. If you are in the market for a house to buy or rental my dads partner is a realtor i can refer you

chris325s

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I loved the Melbourne (Brevard Area). About 8 years ago moved to Greenville SC area and it's nice too but missed boating (jet skiing at the time) of the intracoastal of Brevard. Planning on taking myself back in 2021, was going to check out the area again in March but the virus thing kind of killed that. Lots of great areas, I've lived in Palm Bay, Melbourne and Viera and they all had their perks (I'd likely go back to Viera). I've heard recently the intracoastal is a bit polluted lately, wanted to see if anyone on here thought so too (my original post way back)...but you can always head down south to the inlet. Hope the job is good (who's the company)?

Chris

Smiley

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Headed down tomorrow to this area for the early launch, not viewing from the boat, but looking forward to a long weekend around Coco Beach/Melbourne. Any recommendations would be appreciated greatly.

RobinSC

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Headed down tomorrow to this area for the early launch, not viewing from the boat, but looking forward to a long weekend around Coco Beach/Melbourne. Any recommendations would be appreciated greatly.
Spent a week there last summer, Lee Werner park is a great easy boat ramp, quick access to river, go up and go thru canal to Banana River (hanging on Indian river is fine to) then for nice long ride loop all the way down to Dragon Point and come back up Indian! Lots to see and depending on pace can be all day trip if you want you can also go the other way around but we did it that way so we could stop at Grills on the way back later in day, it is right off Pindea causeway. By the way there is a ramp there too but much smaller with less parking and kind of dicey channel in and out.
Another trip is a long ride down to Sebastian Inlet, lots to see and island to stop at just do not try Inlet unless you know your boating stuff! Huge sand bar just inside inlet will likely have lots and lots of boats there!

Good luck and have fun!

PS Lake George has Silver Glen and Salt spring which are great to visit too, just launch from Astor park (1.5 hr or so from Cocoa) if the big water is not cooperating then hit the lake!

Smiley

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Thanks! About to hit the road, we’ll snap a few pics!