• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bringing home a 2016 AR192 Friday!

Kasmiller

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just put a deposit down on a 2016 AR192! We were hoping for a newer one but no luck finding anything. Upgrading from a 94 chaparral we bought last year only to hand it die on is our first trip out. Put in what was supposed to be a new motor and got a 89 Astro Van motor put in which died on us last week. Hoping this boat has better luck for us. I was reading on here about some of the 2016’s having a timing chain issue. Anything we can do or specifically look for when we do our lake test? We are hoping to have no issues for a bit. This forum is what convinced us to look at the Yamaha. Thank you all!

Patman941

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The timing chain issue was corrected in the 2016 MY 1.8L engines. You should be fine. Only thing to keep tabs on is the clutch on your supercharger. Other than that you should be good to go. Hope this boat brings you nothing but joy on, and off, the water! My 2016 242 is a beast. No issues. Got any pictures of the new boat?

Kasmiller

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank you! Salesman thought it was a repo, they have to change out the ignition and it doesn’t have any cover 👎🏼 but other than that, looks to be in great shape.
1B3EC5D7-6B51-4C84-B2FB-1C5D346F4ED8.png

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
For that price they should def throw in a cover, unbelievable if they won't. Got lucky and bought from there on 4/20 before the boat madness

Robconn

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I experienced a total engine failure due to the known timing chain issue. I would inquire the date of manufacture of the engine. Depending on what month that year will help you determine if it was addressed at the factory with upgraded chain and assembly. If that is not the case, no worries, mechanical records would indicate if timing chain was upgraded at a dealership. That being said, I have had zero issue with the boat since that debacle. Statistically, the occurrence of failure was low and through the years only a select few on this forum can attest to that personally. I am excited for you. You will get a lot of performance out of that boat. Just keep up with maintenance and you’ll be fine.

Last edited:

Kasmiller

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I experienced a total engine failure due to the known timing chain issue. I would inquire the date of manufacture of the engine. Depending on what month that year will help you determine if it was addressed at the factory with upgraded chain and assembly. If that is not the case, no worries, mechanical records would indicate if timing chain was upgraded at a dealership. That being said, I have had zero issue with the boat since that debacle. Statistically, the occurrence of failure was low and through the years only a select few on this forum can attest to that personally. I am excited for you. You will get a lot of performance out of that boat. Just keep up with maintenance and you’ll be fine.
Thanks! After the luck we’ve had with our last boat, we’re hoping this one has no issues!

Kasmiller

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
For that price they should def throw in a cover, unbelievable if they won't. Got lucky and bought from there on 4/20 before the boat madness
They told us with how the market is, it’s a take it or leave it. It was literally the only ski boat available at a dealer within 100 miles. BUT thanks for replying, I just checked the online ad again and it shows a cover is included…so will now make sure it is. 🙃

REM835

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
I think it was said engine stamped date 7/2015 and above has the upgraded chain. Don’t think there was anything official from Yamaha though. There is a sticker with date on it. Curiosity just got to me and it’s under the engine cover by the first coil pack.

449BE56A-5161-49D8-9603-68573D03588A.jpeg

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
They told us with how the market is, it’s a take it or leave it. It was literally the only ski boat available at a dealer within 100 miles. BUT thanks for replying, I just checked the online ad again and it shows a cover is included…so will now make sure it is. 🙃
Cool, if you need any help don't hesitate to reach out. I live in Fishers and have learned a shit ton about these from this great forum

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Ya I just looked, it says shipping cover is standard. Which all of their ads say, doesn't say anything about a premium mooring cover. They may have an extra shipping cover laying around but very doubtful I would think