• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Broken rudder

Akh97

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SD
Boat Length
Hi all,
We broke our rudder while putting it on our lift for the first time. Can we still run the boat? My understanding is yes given older jet boats didn’t use rudders.

Judge

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
I would think you would be ok..... as long as you did not bend one of the tie rods running from the rudder to the buckets. If so, your buckets would be out of alignment and the boat would want to pull in one direction.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Inspect and make sure you have no Fiberglass damage where the rudder connects to the hull and no cracks.

Akh97

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SD
Boat Length
All makes sense thank you both - for repairs if needed, does it make most sense to order parts ourselves, bring to Yamaha, or do a third party boat mechanic site visit?

Judge

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
Replacing the rudder should be pretty straight forward. I installed the CobraJet Fins and removing the steering rods is easy so getting the ridder off should be easy as well.

Jeff from CobraJet has published a procedure for checking and aligning the nozzles / rudder. Most are not well aligned from the factory. I had to adjust mine on my '22 275SD.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
This happens a lot hopefully you did not bend the rod the rudder pivots on or break the mount I am told the mount is really a pain to replace I even have customers who remove the rudder completely and just use a set of my super ultimate al-19 deluxe steering system in place of it so they don't need to be concerned about the rudder being the lowest point of the hull and the furthest back. This customer removed the rudder after it was ripped off the boat by a tow boat after the boat was run into a sand bar and he replaced it with a set of super ultimate ak-19 deluxe steering . no need to worry about it now.
1684502481778.jpeg rudder and tie rod destroyed
1684502538157.png after it was re done with the cobra steering

Akh97

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SD
Boat Length
Actually few pics below if you can gather anything from that. For the time being thinking to remove the rudder and the rod until we fix it. Re cobra jet what’s delivery eta like? Forest lake MN

Attachments

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Actually few pics below if you can gather anything from that. For the time being thinking to remove the rudder and the rod until we fix it. Re cobra jet what’s delivery eta like? Forest lake MN
I Have everything in stock and I ship priority mail one thing you probably don't know is my system even minus the rudder is way more effective than the rudder alone , the fins are not in harms way even if you run aground they are spring loaded adjustable and tempered aircraft aluminum etc etc and each twin setup costs $537.98 with free shipping install is simple and it will spoil you. you won't want the rudder back on!