• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Broken Steering cable

Elio195HOI

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Other
Finally! The weather was a nice 89*, seas were relativity calm. Took the family out, made just past the jetty to hear a pop, steering wheel was stuck, hard to turn and the boat started going in circles. Luckily this happened right outside the Inlet so I was able to anchor and keep everyone safe. A 20 minute $400 Tow, Yes, I never renewed, stupid me, lesson Learned. I was able to remove the Old cable once back home, what a Pain in the A** that was. Now I need to Locate another Steering Cable, Any suggestions?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You are going to have to either let the dealer order the cable, or go to greenhulk, and try one of the older seadoo boat cables. I think the 20' speedster may have the closest fit. Or you can look up the 210 challenger. It may be a little long, but that wont hurt it.

Speedster 200

Challenger 210

Elio195HOI

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Other
Thanks Guys, As always, Great Info, I'll check it out. I know Riva and Broward Motor Sports are now Dealers.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I wonder if you could have tied ropes to each side of the jet pump and had passengers steer the boat, certainly not ideal but it could have gotten you back in ???

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Usually with a broken cable the nozzle will remain in a straight line and often you can slow down and get the nozzle to turn to the left as the cable will still push but it just won't pull the nozzle to the right, and that direction is usually the way you are going when the cable breaks, and if you are careful you can get back in it just depends on the traffic and surroundings. So going slow with a single engine boat if you need to turn right you stop turn the wheel to the left and put it in reverse, once the bow is in the correct direction you can continue to go straight.

Elio195HOI

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Other
I wonder if you could have tied ropes to each side of the jet pump and had passengers steer the boat, certainly not ideal but it could have gotten you back in ???
Thats what I was hoping to do but it was jammed to the right. I jumped in the water and tried to loosen it up with no luck. Trust me, I tried everything before calling SEA TOW.

Elio195HOI

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Other
Usually with a broken cable the nozzle will remain in a straight line and often you can slow down and get the nozzle to turn to the left as the cable will still push but it just won't pull the nozzle to the right, and that direction is usually the way you are going when the cable breaks, and if you are careful you can get back in it just depends on the traffic and surroundings. So going slow with a single engine boat if you need to turn right you stop turn the wheel to the left and put it in reverse, once the bow is in the correct direction you can continue to go straight.
Correction, The pump was facing Left casing the boat to go extreme Right. Whats ever broke within the cable caused the bucket to go hard left and would not move what so ever, Almost as if the steering wheel itself was jammed but I could rotate it back and forth with friction but no results.

Elio195HOI

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Other
You are going to have to either let the dealer order the cable, or go to greenhulk, and try one of the older seadoo boat cables. I think the 20' speedster may have the closest fit. Or you can look up the 210 challenger. It may be a little long, but that wont hurt it.

Speedster 200

Challenger 210
unfortunately, it looks like these used a different type of steering assembly. Looking at The cable I removed, the part number is scratched across the entire length. I think is says Teleflex 007981 with a length of 14.65'.