• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

BRP just addressed the carbon seal issue on the new skis

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Attachments

ALAN MANN SR.

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
If you read it, It says approximately 1 minute on the left side flush connecter then approximately 1 minute on the right side flush connector. and yes it does say have enough pressure so that water comes from the intercooler over flow. It also says that you don't want to run engine more than 30 seconds with out water, and you may have to shut it off to switch from left to right.

BobJohnson

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
@ScarabMike - I've been following the posts on this as much as I can. I am under the impression that the carbon seal is on all Rotax engines, so I have it on my Chaparral as well. So far, on here the discussions I have seen have been regarding Scarab boats only. But, this issue with the carbon seal is present on all Rotax powered boats, right?

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm not sure what the manual says but my dealer told me after a carbon seal failure on my old sea doo ski with 20 hrs on it that you were not supposed to hit the throttle at all as well when flushing as it will overheat the carbon seal and cause failure.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The 95 seadoos had a seal carrier with a bearing inside, instead of the carbon ring. It would fail due to lack of lubrication from folks not greasing it.

I always liked that design better and converted my 99 boat to that design. I wonder if there is an opportunity for someone to build such a thing for the newer boats.

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
All Rotax watercraft have the seal. But Scarabs have the most issues because they are trying to pump out so many units that i guess quality control on the engine/pump isnt happening. Chaparral has a reputation to keep, and Im sure they did their homework before rolling out their boats. They also design their hulls where Scarab is just reusing older Seadoo hulls.

@ScarabMike - I've been following the posts on this as much as I can. I am under the impression that the carbon seal is on all Rotax engines, so I have it on my Chaparral as well. So far, on here the discussions I have seen have been regarding Scarab boats only. But, this issue with the carbon seal is present on all Rotax powered boats, right?

Briwhy

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
I feel like since the beginning scarab has had nothing but problems. Don't get me wrong they are sick looking boats but most people that have one always seem to be having some sorta issue with it. Glastron is the lower end of the line and made in the same factory as scarab and people don't seem to have as many issues with them other then the one that had a major steering issue. What is scarab doing wrong that glastron isn't. I'm guessing they definitely are selling more scarabs so maybe they are pushing them out the door faster.