• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Buddy A-60 Actuator Problems

Thor

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have a 2013 Shorelandr with the Trailer Buddy A-60 Actuator. I have a hell of a time getting it on and off the hitch ball. Hooking up I need to lower slowly, at the same time lower the A-60 handle as it sits on the ball, otherwise the lip gets caught up on the bottom of the ball and it won't close. It has to be done just right or the "lip" jams on the bottom part of the hitch ball, and usually takes a few tries.

Getting it off I need to jump on my truck bumper to break it loose. So far I have tried 3 different hitch balls with no luck. I have checked the fit per the JBL FAQ technique, taking the drawbar off the truck, attaching the hitch ball to the trailer and standing on it. It is snug, moves freely and it seems to be spot on.

It seems to be getting worse and I don't see any way to adjust it. I would appreciate any ideas.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The only time I have an issue uncoupling is when there's forward pressure on the hitch. In other words, if I backed up a hill and chock the boat wheels. The boat is "pushing forward" on the ball and coupler. Sometimes I have to pull forward an inch or two (with he trailer tires chocked) to stretch out the brake actuator. This takes the pressure off the ball/coupler. Then I can jack up the boat and separate it from the hitch.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have had the "latch" part of the coupler get caught on the top of the ball while coupling if the hitch is too far back when I lower the tongue of the trailer onto the ball. It seems that it's easier to stop short a half an inch and have the ball slide into the coupler from the front rather than have the tow vehicle too far back.

Sorry, re reading this, I'm not sure if all this makes sense. Maybe too much use of the word ball? ;)