• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Budget stereo upgrade for SX190...

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks to awesome advice in this forum I decided to tackle my stereo system upgrade. I think I read just about every post on the subject here...:). And the ones posted by @David Analog - at least twice. You guys make it instructive and fun, love this forum!

All together (so far) my total cost came up to about $1,000, all in parts (my labor). I'm still on the fence about tower speakers, which are not included in this upgrade.

EDIT: As it always seems to happen here, I ended up getting tower speakers and a bunch of other $$$hit, so my "budget" upgrade I was so proud of became just another jetboaters.net style upgrade (read: it kind of doubled...tripled...).

Because I've added several amps, EQ, and BT to the system - all power antennae are connected via a relay.

Here is what I did:

1. HU
I decided to keep my OEM JBL MR 145.2 radio, at least for now. Just fixed all the connections and added a remote. This unit used to drive me crazy - cutting in and out randomly in chop - it turned out to be a bunch of loose connections / the main plug - I ended up cutting the plug out and soldering speaker level line outputs. Not included here - adding Premium Marine Bluetooth 4.0 + Aptx Music Receiver - Exile Audio.

Because this HU comes enclosed in the glove box, I installed a wired remote from Prospec Inc. mounted in the dashboard, works great. I got a 20' cable with it which was plenty.
upload_2016-4-4_23-54-22.png

2. Coaxials in the cockpit
Following advice of several members here, I got the Clarion XC1410 class D 4-channel amp driving 4 Polk DB651 coaxials (replacing OEM junk). Very good resulting sound.

3. Subwoofers
Needless to say - this was the critical part of the project - took me a few weeks to figure it out, and countless scenarios. Almost, almost went with IB type subs, but then reversed course and ended up with two Kicker 10' mounted subwoofers in ported enclosures (which have a slanted/trapezoid profile). I know, if only I had @Speedling carpentering skills...
These are driven by Kicker CX600.1 1200W Class D Mono Amplifier. I actually tried a couple of different versions of the setup, thank you my local Best Buy, before settling on that and proceeding with the final install.

I ended up mounting the sub enclosures inside the helm and the passenger side consoles and vented them with SS marine vents - see the pics below.

Here is the starboard side, Kicker enclosure inside the helm, it was a very tight fit to squeeze it in there. Hard to take pics, too, but it is basically wedged in between the hull and the cockpit (bulkhead), supported by steel braces that lift it up from the sole. The fit is incredible, it is almost like if it was custom made...
upload_2016-4-5_0-2-34.png
upload_2016-4-5_0-7-21.png

On the port side - inside the passenger console/storage compartment - I mounted the second subwoofer facing aft, directly underneath the glove compartment, also supported by braces and lifted a couple of inches above the sole.

upload_2016-4-5_0-14-10.pngupload_2016-4-5_0-17-17.png

upload_2016-4-5_0-18-24.pngupload_2016-4-5_0-19-0.png

The wiring is not cleaned up, yet. I used 6 AWG stranded copper wire with a 80A fuse for the Kicker amp from the battery.
Importantly - loss of storage space in this scenario is alleviated on the port side (as this sub enclosure is fairly slim) and basically none on the starboard side.
Not obvious from the pictures, but both subwoofer enclosures are "upside-down" with the cones slanted / angled towards the sole.

I also mounted a separate Bass Level controller under the dashboard, works great and is super easy to use (for those less crazy about shaking the boat with the new bass base).
upload_2016-4-5_0-28-46.png

The toughest part, of course, was cutting the vents - I hate cutting holes in my boat... But, it needed to be done as I did not want the bass to be all muffled up, with only thump and no music.
http://www.amazon.com/stainless-ste...psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00

Here is the port side:
upload_2016-4-5_0-34-28.pngupload_2016-4-5_0-35-8.png

The woofer cone is pretty much centered on the middle vent, with the cone rim stretching out to side vents:
(the cone is actually a few inches away behind the opening, it just looks juxtaposed in the picture; the cone is also angled downwards as the enclosure wall is slanted).
upload_2016-4-5_0-36-12.png

Here is the helm side:
upload_2016-4-5_0-37-4.png
upload_2016-4-5_0-38-16.png

I must say my subsequent sound-check carried out on the water surpassed my expectations. The system sounds freaking awesome. With a lot of power to spare. Most importantly, it passed muster of my 14 and 12 yo critics / daughters who decided to be my judging panel. And - they loved it :D!

Cheers, and thank you all who contribute to these threads with great tips and advice!

--

Last edited:

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Looks good man!
Carpeted enclosures are always nice too. And that's a bit trickier (to me) to do yourself.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm wondering if anyone here installed a PA system/"talkback"-style setup with an amp and a mic only - routed to tower speakers - as opposed to using the Wet Sounds WS420 (equalizer system). I don't necessarily mind an equalizer for all it can do, but I do not want any additional complexity and must keep things as simple as possible...
I would like to add tower speakers and an amp, but it would be great to have a mic for yelling instructions at the kids :D.

Last edited:

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
What about using an app on your phone or iPod hooked up to your stereo? I just did a quick search, but this looks like an option.

Intercom | AirPlay Bluetooth by Von Bruno
https://appsto.re/us/A-GpE.i

Although, if I had tower speakers and wanted a PA, I would probably go with the EQ. If only to have the volume control versatility.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What about using an app on your phone or iPod hooked up to your stereo? I just did a quick search, but this looks like an option.

Intercom | AirPlay Bluetooth by Von Bruno
https://appsto.re/us/A-GpE.i

Although, if I had tower speakers and wanted a PA, I would probably go with the EQ. If only to have the volume control versatility.
I like the idea and considered it. However, it seems that with my iPhone any amount of wind and/or background noise renders it's mic pretty much useless outside.

All I want is a simple, rugged marine mic (with a knob for volume control) hooked up to an amp that powers tower speakers. Infinity makes 6100M Wakeboard Sound System that looks exactly right, except I can not justify spending over 1k for it...

Last edited:

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Okay, I think I convinced myself that WS-420SQ is the way to go, there are just too many benefits in a single package. I don't think I need the BT model as I'm installing a Bluetooth 4.0 receiver by Exile.

My only hesitation is about running three sets of RCA cables around the whole boat... as my amps are in the port side compartment and I would like the WS-420 to sit somewhere in the dashboard. But I guess there isn't any other way.

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Okay, I think I convinced myself that WS-420SQ is the way to go, there are just too many benefits in a single package. I don't think I need the BT model as I'm installing a Bluetooth 4.0 receiver by Exile.

My only hesitation is about running three sets of RCA cables around the whole boat... as my amps are in the port side compartment and I would like the WS-420 to sit somewhere in the dashboard. But I guess there isn't any other way.
You can run them across the fuel tank. That should save you some length.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
You can run them across the fuel tank. That should save you some length.
Yeah, i don't know about newer boats but i got a thicker extra shielded cable and ran through an opening between deck and the main storage locker. Tucked completely out of the way and comes out in the "cuddy". No idea how i fished it through but good luck!

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You guys are right! of course, and that would be the way to go...
Except, I installed a ton of sound proofing in my boat (I think 190s are articularly bad offenders). In the gunnels, it is mostly acoustic foam that's easy to work around. But I also used polyurethane foam to fill some gaps in the fiberglass liner panels. Works well to reduce sound travel and rattle, but... not so easy to work with cables.
Here is what I'm talking about (before trimmed and cleaned up):
upload_2016-4-7_8-14-1.png

So, I will have to go with some relatively long runs of RCAs which, as I understand it, should not be an issue.

--

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Lol, isn't that always the way? Is it any shorter or easier to go around the bow? On my 242 I went through there for some of my LED's.

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The 2015's have insulation around the openning as well, except where the throttle cables and fuel line travel. When I was wiring my speakers, I could not go directly across, but I was still able to safe a little distance by following the throttle cables and fuel line.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Need to change the title of this thread and remove the (now) misleading budget qualifier... ;)
Thanks to this board, I just ordered a double set of tower Kicker KM6500.2 w/Wet Sounds amp, along with the WS-420 EQ talkback mic!- that is going to be soooo awesome.
Oh, boy.... You guys are bad influence.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
WS HT-4 - For my tower speakers. I have to say it is very slick for an amp.
image.jpeg

Last edited:

David Analog

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
Need to change the title of this thread and remove the (now) misleading budget qualifier... ;)
Thanks to this board, I just ordered a double set of tower Kicker KM6500.2 w/Wet Sounds amp, along with the WS-420 EQ talkback mic!- that is going to be soooo awesome.
Oh, boy.... You guys are bad influence.
So it that Kicker tower speaker system with one pair of horn tweeters and one pair of 6.5" midbass, or one pair of horn tweeters and two pair of 6.5" midbass?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So it that Kicker tower speaker system with one pair of horn tweeters and one pair of 6.5" midbass, or one pair of horn tweeters and two pair of 6.5" midbass?
@David Analog I believe it is the former, still waiting for the delivery. Kicker's KM6500.2 HLCD marine tower component system - a set of 6-1/2" midrange drivers with a set of 2" compression horns.
upload_2016-4-14_11-1-28.png
I'm aware these will not touch any of the WS REVs, but I'm already so woefully over my "budget", I'm really selecting "the leper with the most fingers" here... (LOL, such a strange expression, but it kinda works).

And, I decided I really want the WS420. Being able to yell at your kids without straining your voice - priceless!

Last edited:

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My "budget" stereo upgrade is almost finished. After all my budget got very bloated, but to my credit I did all the install myself. Not sure I would want to do it again though, this install kicked my a$$. The worst part was running the wires for my aftermarket tower harness - that was just AWFUL work. But, the system seems to function very well, and I did add some extras like the tower LED nav light and a pair of nice docking LED lights (800 lumen each). I also installed a pair of LED rings on one of the speakers.

So, I ended up with the Kicker KM6500.2 combo of 2 mid-bass and 2 HLCD powered by a dedicated WS HT-4. I was initially set on using their double enclosures, but didn't really care for the look and the way they had exposed wires etc., so after all ended up splurging for individual enclosures. Ended up being a lot more work, but I really like the way it all turned out.

I also got the WS-420SQ equalizer with the "talkback" mic. That thing is simply fantastic.

My wife insisted we may want to be taking the tower off if we trailer long distance, such as the planned Bimini trip later this year. So, I had to use a couple (3) 4 pin connectors to accommodate all the wiring - not easy to find multipin connectors with large enough pins.

Here are some pictures:
WS-420SQ installed
upload_2016-5-2_0-58-1.png

HT-4 being installed
upload_2016-5-2_0-58-48.png

Planning the wire runs
upload_2016-5-2_1-1-22.png

Mocking the connectors
upload_2016-5-2_1-5-41.png

And some shots of the final product
upload_2016-5-2_1-3-1.png

upload_2016-5-2_1-3-37.png

upload_2016-5-2_1-7-31.png

Nav light
upload_2016-5-2_1-29-12.png

upload_2016-5-2_1-9-9.png

upload_2016-5-2_1-30-25.png

--

Attachments

Last edited:

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
How do you like the KM6500??

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How do you like the KM6500??
I am very surprised with this system (KM6500.2). It is remarkable. I have heard rumors it was originally developed to rival the WS REVs, which I find believable. I've read comments how it can sound "shrill" with treble overload, etc., I'm thinking it may be all in the tuning. There is an internal +6dB jumper inside the HLCDs (that I left alone) meant to be used in the context of 2 HLDC / 4 midbass configuration (6 pods system). These speakers are naturally treble heavy, no doubt, but can be balanced with midbass and subs to produce what appears to be overall FANTASTIC musical sound that is both soft and strong.

My wife has been the biggest skeptic of the project, calling it some choice names of which "total redneck" was about the nicest I can recall. That is, until it was all done, we sat in the driveway, and I played her favorite Dido CD at real low volume. She was just dumbfounded, it sounded so damn good (she still made an obligatory "way too much bass" comment, but that's beside the point).

Now, as we all know, that nice quality goes to hell quickly once you are "cruising" at 7000RPM... But then - the volume is very impressive too, with no distortion.
Just ask the guys in my marina - when I was "broadcasting" the end of St. Louis Blues game on Sunday, it was freaking awesome.

Last edited:

Irvs

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
My "budget" stereo upgrade is almost finished. After all my budget got very bloated, but to my credit I did all the install myself. Not sure I would want to do it again though, this install kicked my a$$. The worst part was running the wires for my aftermarket tower harness - that was just AWFUL work. But, the system seems to function very well, and I did add some extras like the tower LED nav light and a pair of nice docking LED lights (800 lumen each). I also installed a pair of LED rings on one of the speakers.

So, I ended up with the Kicker KM6500.2 combo of 2 mid-bass and 2 HLCD powered by a dedicated WS HT-4. I was initially set on using their double enclosures, but didn't really care for the look and the way they had exposed wires etc., so after all ended up splurging for individual enclosures. Ended up being a lot more work, but I really like the way it all turned out.

I also got the WS-420SQ equalizer with the "talkback" mic. That thing is simply fantastic.

My wife insisted we may want to be taking the tower off if we trailer long distance, such as the planned Bimini trip later this year. So, I had to use a couple (3) 4 pin connectors to accommodate all the wiring - not easy to find multipin connectors with large enough pins.

Here are some pictures:
WS-420SQ installed
View attachment 36537

HT-4 being installed
View attachment 36538

Planning the wire runs
View attachment 36539

Mocking the connectors
View attachment 36542

And some shots of the final product
View attachment 36540

View attachment 36541