• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Bunk Glides

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a question,

Since my Scarab's trailer sits the boat higher than a regular trailer, Im having to dip it into the water deeper.

Ive noticed my bunk carpeting was getting eaten up, and small scratches on my boat's hull where the bunks were. Since then, I have been letting it start to float. This is causing me to back the truck farther back and into the water here in my community ramp. I really don't need this new truck to start to rust or have diff issues in the future do to water intrusion. These glides would make it easier to launch the boat while not having to back it up so much.

Im looking to either re-carpet the bunks and place some glides (Picture and link 1), or recovering the bunks with the poly glides. (Picture and link 2)

What do you guys think?

Pic 1/Link 1
91KCYv%2Bkr0L._SL1500_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Trailer-Bunk-Glides-48/dp/B00CXADP34/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1432212626&sr=8-2&keywords=bunk glides

Pic2/Link 2
41O2-svyJ7L.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Tie-Down-Engineering-86295-Modular/dp/B001EYHK7C/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1432212626&sr=8-3&keywords=bunk glides

some of us from YJB had tried a product called Ultimate bunk boards, it was some type of plastic/wood product,
it had varying reviews, Here is a picture of mine which I am going to revert back to wood/carpet shortly, the chalking in the picture is at least 3x worse now, still not sure if the trailer supports are mfg wrong causing additional friction points (it's the same spots my original carpet was worn through) or our gelcoat is just that sensitive,

Attachments

• IMG_3363.JPG
    IMG_3363.JPG
    340.2 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_3364.JPG
    IMG_3364.JPG
    411.7 KB · Views: 36
@Scottintexas

No mine are in the rear where the boat first comes into contact with the hull. The carpet is wearing badly for a trailer less than a year old. It may be cheap carpet.

@scokill Great advice!

I just took the leap, and purchased the Tie-Down ones. I talked to them, and they stand by their products, so it was a no brainer. They should be here by Saturday. I only have one set of bunks that are 2"x 6"x 8'. Ill keep everyone posted.

@scokill Great advice!

I just took the leap, and purchased the Tie-Down ones. I talked to them, and they stand by their products, so it was a no brainer. They should be here by Saturday. I only have one set of bunks that are 2"x 6"x 8'. Ill keep everyone posted.

Some other folks have used these on the other site and I didn't see anything negative.

The manufactured boards are what I have on my lift. I plan to spray silicon on them to help the boat slid on and off. The boards will leave black marks on the hull! I was also going to replace the carpet on my trailer bunks but now I am wondering if I should either just add one of these products or go ahead and put the manufactured wood and keep silicon on them as well. I will be interested to here the results.

@scokill Great advice!

I forgot to mention that you will need longer screws than provided. I wasn't comfortable on getting the amount wood on screw of the ones that came with the kit.

It will be good to post your experiences as time goes on. I debated using plastic slides but found too many comments regarding fiberglass hull wear so ended up using carpet again when I redid my bunks. With carpet bunks the silicone spray does wonders in making them slippery. Keep us posted on how it works out. Cam.

Well folks, The bunk guides didn't fit because the Scarab's trailer is a little over 8ft. These have to be perfect. They do look good though.

So, what I did is re carpet the bunks. I went to West Marine, and low and behold... I purchased some premium grade bunk carpet, and it was way thicker, and better quality than what was on there. I also grabbed a bottle of Liquid Roller Bunk Spray.

Once I got home, installed the new carpet, and then sprayed it with the liquid roller. Once it was dry, i picked up my boat from the dock. What a difference! Almost no effort winch the boat on to the trailer.

Ill update this post with some pictures later on. Mission accomplished.

Glad you avoided those plastic glides. They WILL mar the crap out of your hull if you trailer a lot.

Will the Liquid Roller Bunk Spray harm the gelcoat as was mentioned about the silicone?

@rkluck No, its just silicone liquid that dries, and makes the fabric slick once it touches water. I have launched and retrieved the boat twice since applying it, and its 90% easier. Best spent money so far.

Will the Liquid Roller Bunk Spray harm the gelcoat as was mentioned about the silicone?

Great I will get some of that then! Thanks!

+1 on the Liquid Rollers. It's truly amazing the difference it makes. It's almost too good.

The silicone spray doesn't damage the gelcoat. It it just a cheaper version of the liquid rollers. LR is not avail. in my area so I use cheap auto silicone spray. Soak the bunks and then let them dry. Makes a huge difference and you can easily move the boat on the trailer with the winch. I go through a $2.99 can a season. Cam.

Cam - That is what I was thinking but there was advice that the silicone spray may make the gel coat bubble with the build up of moisture (if I recall the reason correctly). Have you been doing this for awhile with no side effects?

I have been using it on the bunks for 4 or 5 years now. I put new bunks on last fall and soaked them with silicone beforehand. I am not sure how silcone would make gel coat bubble as it is a primary ingredient in many polishes. I did a unscientific test with the new bunks, trying different types of polishes on the scrap carpet. Silicone was the best as in slipperiest (and cheapest) when dry. Cam.

Back