• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bunk replacement

Bruggar709

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Anyone ever used HDPE 2x6 (boards made from recyclied plastic) for bunk board replacement? It's supposed to be stronger than wood and should last as it won't rot. Anyone ever replace their bunks for rollers?

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I looked into composite wood a couple years ago, when I replaced the bunks on my trailer. The problem with composite wood is the linear strength isn't what real wood is. Imagine setting up two sawhorses, 8' apart, and spanning them with each product. The composite products will sag more than wood when weight is applied between the sawhorses. As my memory goes, there is a company that has aluminum "boards" with composite skids, but they're pretty pricey, and I can't remember the name.

Bruggar709

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
oK, so wood it will be unless I hear from someone who has had success switching to rollers

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Rollers are the wrong choice on these fiberglass hulls. Some need rollers for special landing instances, but they are not recommended for these hulls, as the even support of bunks is so much better.

Bruggar709

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks I wasn't aware of that. The current bunks seem to be a full 2x6 not a 1 1/2 x 5 1/2. Will a 1 1/2 x 5 1/2 be strong enough to support these boats. I've never seen a full 2x6 in PT.

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That’s what my 23’ rides on…. Pressure treated 2X6, which is actually 1 1/2” X 5 1/2”.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
That’s what my 23’ rides on…. Pressure treated 2X6, which is actually 1 1/2” X 5 1/2”.
Same, I just redid mine with 2x6 pressure treated from Home Depot. Took an hour to replace both and re carpet

Billtex2000

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just bought on eBay and replaced my bow set.

Only set I could find in close to 8' length.

Bruggar709

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Have a 2014 Shorelander 19ft trailer that I am replacing the bunks on, have 2x6 PT lumber and CE Smith bunk carpet, what do I need for staples and bolts for attaching the brackets to the boards and the brackets to the trailer? Thanks in advance

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Each trailer is different, but you should be able to re-use all hardware. My MFI trailer actually used short lag bolts directly through the brackets and into the wood. Deep enough to grab, but not too deep as to go through. I laid the bunks on the brackets while on the trailer, pre-drilled and ran the lags in with an impact. Easy.

Staples should be stainless, to help keep the rust off. Nothing special. An air stapler, or electric is helpful for sure. Be sure they are long enough to get through all the carpet and into the wood.

Good luck

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Each trailer is different, but you should be able to re-use all hardware. My MFI trailer actually used short lag bolts directly through the brackets and into the wood. Deep enough to grab, but not too deep as to go through. I laid the bunks on the brackets while on the trailer, pre-drilled and ran the lags in with an impact. Easy.

Staples should be stainless, to help keep the rust off. Nothing special. An air stapler, or electric is helpful for sure. Be sure they are long enough to get through all the carpet and into the wood.

Good luck
I used a hand stapler and it still went pretty quick.