• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Busted tweeter on transom speaker

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Somehow the tweeter got broken on one of the db522s on my transom.

I can’t buy one speaker, would I be better off changing brands to something a little better and with a full grille? Would this end up sounding unbalanced with the remaining Polk 652s?

No plans to do anything but add a small amp to power the factory speakers.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
The 522's have the same tweeters and timbre should be the same, but I don't think it'll matter because the sound from the swim platform doesn't really mesh with the sound from the cockpit. You could probably go either way. I have noticed the smaller cones produce a substantially less full tone from the 522's, but that's to be expected due to the small surface area. If you want better and more sound at the rear, you need larger speakers, hence the reason tower speakers are popular.

Adding an amp does make a big difference for the stock speakers though. The 652's can handle 60w and the 522's are 50w speakers. The stock head units can only push a few watts of clean power to the speakers so an amp really gets them pumping and sound much better. When I bought my JL 500/4 amp, I got a good sale price not much over the 280/4 model which I wanted, so I bought it in case I did upgrades down the road. So far no need to upgrade as they're plenty loud and sound decent with the amp. If I have a mechanical issue with the stock speakers, I will upgrade to better JL speakers, but no rush to do that.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hey I got a reply! Thanks!

If I have to replace the one speaker would it be worth it to upgrade the pair to Wet sounds recon? There don’t seem to be a lot of marine specific 5.25” speakers & those transom ones get soaked.