• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Buying 2015 SX190, but throttle is very stiff. Ideas?

dawgduo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am looking at buying a 2015 Yamaha SX 190 with pretty low hours on it. I test drove it on Saturday and found that the throttle lever was extremely stiff/tight all the way through the range from neutral to full throttle and back into reverse. I owned a 2014 SX 190, so I know what it is supposed to feel like, which is very smooth and free. Any idea what would cause this? Is this something I should be concerned about? Any ideas of what the fix may be? Thanks so much in advance!

AboveTheBest

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Without looking at it I would say there’s something wrong with the throttle cable, or maybe the cable that moves the reverse bucket. The actual throttle is fly-by-wire, so the only thing the cable is moving is the sensor (and the reverse bucket).

Both cables can be had for under $100, and the install shouldn’t be that bad. It may be that one of the cables just needs to be adjusted.

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
That's not actually correct on the 190/192's. These have cables for both throttle and bucket. The best thing to do would be replace the cable. Most likely it has some internal corrosion. There are tips and tricks on lubricating the cable, but I didn't have much luck forcing oil into the cable on my 2014 192. If you do a search for cable lubrication or cable replacement I know there are a few threads around on each for whichever way you decide to go.