• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Buying a new Jet Boat

ducati848

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Ok so I currently own a 2011 Fourwinns 210ss. We are looking to buy a jet boat. I really like both the Yamaha 212X and the Scarab Impulse (Twin 250s). I have a couple of general questions regarding these two boats.

Does anyone know what kind of towing capacity they have? I like to pull multiple tubes, and I had my current boat reinforced in the tow ring area to compensate for this? Would a Yamaha or the Scarab have any issues pulling 4 tubes with 200 pound riders? Would there be enough power engine wise and would the hull be structurally sound enough for this?

Second question, Who makes the better boat? Yamaha or Scarab? I would like to hear some feedback from actual owners.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Don't know about tow ring capacity, but I would think both boats would have enough power to pull. My vote is Yamaha, but I am biased.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Power should be fine but I would question the structural integrity of the tow ring to pull 4 tubes with 200 plus pounds of riders each. I would reinforce it again like you did on your current boat. Both boats both will have different benefits and features so tough to say which is a better boat as each user is a little different. Scarabs have the typical BRP problems with the engine and drive train a lot of carbon seal issues on here and the Yamahas are no where near as refined as the Scarabs and Chapparal jet boats.

ducati848

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Don't know about tow ring capacity, but I would think both boats would have enough power to pull. My vote is Yamaha, but I am biased.

Do you own a Yamaha? If so which one?

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Do you own a Yamaha? If so which one?
yes, 2015 242 Limited S. Great boat, had no issues out of it so far. Like Robert said above, the Yamaha's are really reliable, but not as refined as the Chap's or Scarabs.

Papa

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I don't think either one will hold 4 of the large tube ropes. Four 200# people in tubes would also be a heck of a strain on the pulling ring on any boat. Except a Sea Tow. Just my two cents.....

ducati848

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
yes, 2015 242 Limited S. Great boat, had no issues out of it so far. Like Robert said above, the Yamaha's are really reliable, but not as refined as the Chap's or Scarabs.
How do you like the cleanout ports in the back? Really useful or not that necessary? And what do you guys say is so not refined on them?

ducati848

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I don't think either one will hold 4 of the large tube ropes. Four 200# people in tubes would also be a heck of a strain on the pulling ring on any boat. Except a Sea Tow. Just my two cents.....
What about from the transom hooks? I called Yamaha and they said 350 pounds from the transom hooks only? I find this hard to believe

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
You don't want a rope anywhere near the jet pump or intake so using a transom eye wouldn't be recommended IMO.

fraserjr

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
How do you like the cleanout ports in the back? Really useful or not that necessary? And what do you guys say is so not refined on them?
I have used mine at least a couple times this season. I couldn't imagine having to swim under the boat or get it up on a trailer. Especially since I leave my boat on an Air Dock. I am partial to Yamaha but also have never set foot in a Scarab.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Had my boat two summers and never had to use the clean out ports. I'm sure I would be thankful for them if I ever have to though. As far as the refined thing, some of the lower end Yamaha's fit and finish are not as nice as the Chap's. Not sure about Scarab. I have never looked at one of them. The upper end Yamaha's have nicer interiors and finishes so I would at least recommend a limited S or an X model.

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Transom eye is no issue for towing - did it from my LS all the time - one or 2 ropes on each eye. Or just use the ski hook although you won't get 4 ropes on there. Just be careful with the lines. But yes, read up on this forum about this - you need to be diligent about the ski rope/tow line you CANNOT leave it unattended EVER or it will get sucked up. When it does (and it will) you will be happy you have the clean out plugs so you can reach in and cut the line out. As for towing 800 pounds? Hmmmm that is alot of tonnage but the power is there on a 212 for sure. But that's alot of traffic, pulling 4 tubes. Well, maybe not. Scroll to 12.10 where I'm pulling the Clemson center who is 6'3 315, and his young brother and cousin who weigh about 240 together. I've pulled 3 o-lineman on one tube - they destroyed the tube but the power was no issue and that was a good 800 plus pounds. I have a 2008 SX230 and the 212 is smaller and more powerful.

Fit and finish? Scarab. Reliability and (no) maintenance? The Yamaha hands down.

Last edited:

fraserjr

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Transom eye is no issue for towing - been doing it for ten years plus on 2 yamahas. That is why it is there. It's a ski hook. But yes, read up on this forum about this - you need to be diligent about the ski rope/tow line you CANNOT leave it unattended EVER or it will get sucked up. When it does (and it will) you will be happy you have the clean out plugs so you can reach in and cut the line out. As for towing 800 pounds? Hmmmm that is alot of tonnage but the power is there on a 212 for sure. But that's alot of traffic, pulling 4 tubes. Well, maybe not. Scroll to 12.10 where I'm pulling the Clemson center who is 6'3 315, and his young brother and cousin who weigh about 240 together. I've pulled 3 o-lineman on one tube - they destroyed the tube but the power was no issue and that was a good 800 plus pounds. I have a 2008 SX230 and the 212 is smaller and more powerful.

Fit and finish? Scarab. Reliability and (no) maintenance? The Yamaha hands down.

The other option would be to tow from the tower or a combination of tower and ski hook. The engines will have no problem handling the load and the stress will be divided between the two tow points. You would just have to have the tubes spaced appropriately as to not cut anyones head off with the ropes on the tower.

Papa

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I see a problem using the tower and ski ring. With the rope higher on the tower and tubes crossing some one could get seriously injured. Also, my manual says not to tube with the tower.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
My boat also says no more then 2100 pounds also......I blow that out of the water.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Both my Yamaha manuals have said no towing from the tower. I also agree with the comments above as the fit & finish on a Yamaha isn't as nice as other boats however, they are traditionally vey reliable and dependable.

The need for cleanup ports depends on where you boat and the water levels there. For the past 2-3 years up at Lake Tahoe, I would always have to stop and remove milfoil from the impeller shafts once out on the lake. Now that the lake is about 5 feet higher, I've only had to stop once this entire season to clean out the ports. That being said, with a jet boat, you WILL eventually suck something in there that WILL need to be picked out. Case in point, about two years ago up at Lake Shasta while my friend was towing a wakeboarder, all of the sudden we got this horrendous cavitation. I saw where he was driving and didn't see anything. Upon pulling the tubes and inspecting, I found a small twig about 1/2" long wedged in the wall between the impeller. I easily removed it, gave him his "trophy" and we continued on with our day. In that case, a Yamaha is the clear winner, as all other boats would have required a limp back to the trailer on one engine.

ducati848

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Ok so at this point I am pretty set on the Yamaha 212x. Took one for a test ride today and really liked it. I was reading some stuff about the ballast system not filling properly. Like it would overfill and run into the hull....Anyone know if they have fixed this for 2017? Also does anyone know how long the ballast system takes to fill/empty?

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I have not heard of that problem. The hard tanks dump overboard. There is a calibration process to get them dialed in so they display properly on the screen.