• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Buying a new Jet Boat

AJR1977

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I have the 2017 212x zero issues of any kind with the boat after 20 hours on the engines... However to surf ropeless we needed to add more ballast....

bobbie

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@ducati848 Just a thought....i would get a used 212x (mine is a 2014) that doesn't have the hard tanks. Much easier to pull the stock bags and add bigger bags. Mine were replace custom wakemakers that come in about 1100 a side.

ducati848

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Ok so after some consideration I have decided on either the 2018 212x or the 2018 242x. Does anyone know if the towers can be folded while towing? The massive tower/canopy on the 242x might pose some height issues for me while launching and or towing to the lake. I know I have another thread talking about buying a Scarab but that has since gone out the window. I really like the 242x but is it too much boat? Does anyone that has one feel that they lose maneuverability or anything like that with such a big boat?

synackattack

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If the tower is anything like my 210, when folded the tower is just resting on a washer with a cable through the middle of it to stop it from hitting the dash. I don't know that I would tow with it folded full speed in fear of snapping the cable.
I know they ship them with the towers folded, and have brackets that are bolted to the tower behind the hinges that stabilize it. Maybe you can get your dealer to give those brackets to you to when you take delivery. I believe they normally toss them.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Let's not confuse the issues, the 242X towers are ROBUST and have never given anyone trouble in Bimini trips. The new AR towers are completely different design w/locking mechanism that is questionable at best.
And yes, the new AR towers do fold down very easily.
Maybe too easily in some cases...

--

ducati848

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
But the main question here is “Can you tow the boat” with the tower folded down. Or does the tower need to stay upright and locked in its normal position?

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Tower up

Ancient canoe

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It's going to bang around too much if you tow with the tower down. Your height is 10'11" with it up per the specs just make sure that clears whatever is in the way on your route.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The boats leave the factory shipped with the tower folded down but they use brackets to ensure the tower doesn't move or bang around. Once the dealers get the bits off the truck and set up they generally toss the brackets. You can call your local dealer to see if they have any they haven't thrown away but it's unlikely.