• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Buying Advice: 2008 AR230

hillcountryview

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It has been a long time since we've owned a boat and we're hoping to purchase a 2008 AR230 today. Online, it looks promising. 1 owner, has yearly service records, and has been kept covered in a storage garage when not being used. It was last in the water last summer. They're selling because they don't have time to use anymore. According to the owner, the only thing that needs to be replaced is the stereo.

We're meeting in a few hours to see what it actually looks like and put it in the water. Is there anything specific that we should check out for this specific year model?

Also, I'd appreciate any input you can share on what you would expect to pay for a similar boat, given the current market conditions in your area. (We are in Texas).

Thanks!

Screenshot 2021-06-17 at 7.27.20 PM.jpeg

Last edited:

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@hillcountryview Looks quite nice. Question: 1st picture shows it on a galvanized trailer; 2nd on a painted trailer; which is it? Are those the same boat?

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
One picture shows gray on top of the seats and another picture shows orange on top of the seats and the one boat is red other is orange. I’d be Leary of this if theses are the pics that is either of the listing or from the buyer. How many hours? Recommend having someone hook up YDS to check hours. Scupper on bottom pic is plastic & needs to be SS. Any other info?? Carpet come with? Fenders? Anchors? Ropes? Clean out ports easy to remove & install? Check the condition of keel(roll under & check for exposed fiberglass). Brakes work on trailer? Age of tires on trailer? Clean engine bay? Check to see if No Wake mode works. Bilge pump been tested? Stereo original?
I would thing you could get it for $20-25k.

Last edited:

hillcountryview

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@hillcountryview Looks quite nice. Question: 1st picture shows it on a galvanized trailer; 2nd on a painted trailer; which is it? Are those the same boat?
You have a great eye!! Not kidding.. a little bit of panic just rushed in.

The actual boat is shown on the galvanized trailer it is being sold with. I have a good video of the boat, but can't seem to upload it correctly.

Screenshot 2021-06-17 at 7.27.20 PM.jpeg

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
You have a great eye!! Not kidding.. a little bit of panic just rushed in.

The actual boat is shown on the galvanized trailer it is being sold with. I have a good video of the boat, but can't seem to upload it correctly.

View attachment 153979
You have to upload to YouTube first and then post here

hillcountryview

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It has been a long time since we've owned a boat and we're hoping to purchase a 2008 AR230 today. Online, it looks promising. 1 owner, has yearly service records, and has been kept covered in a storage garage when not being used. It was last in the water last summer. They're selling because they don't have time to use anymore. According to the owner, the only thing that needs to be replaced is the stereo.

We're meeting in a few hours to see what it actually looks like and put it in the water. Is there anything specific that we should check out for this specific year model?

Also, I'd appreciate any input you can share on what you would expect to pay for a similar boat, given the current market conditions in your area. (We are in Texas).

Thanks!

View attachment 153966
My apologies. I deleted the photo of the boat on the painted trailer. It was a stock photo I didn't intend to save or post. The photos above are of the actual boat and trailer.

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
One picture shows gray on top of the seats and another picture shows orange on top of the seats and the one boat is red other is orange. I’d be Leary of this if theses are the pics that is either of the listing or from the buyer. How many hours? Recommend having someone hook up YDS to check hours. Scupper on bottom pic is plastic & needs to be SS. Any other info?? Carpet come with? Fenders? Anchors? Ropes? Clean out ports easy to remove & install? Check the condition of keel(roll under & check for exposed fiberglass). Brakes work on trailer? Age of tires on trailer? Clean engine bay? Check to see if No Wake mode works. Bilge pump been tested? Stereo original?
I would thing you could get it for $20-25k.
Same thing I was thinking, like wtf 🤔

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
My apologies. I deleted the photo of the boat on the painted trailer. It was a stock photo I didn't intend to save or post. The photos above are of the actual boat and trailer.
I like that orange interior and looks to be in great shape

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Bimini boot is missing. Check to see if all the gauges work, depth, speed & rpms. Horn work?

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Stainless scupper drain or factory plastic?

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Check and see if the deck around the table mount is mushy

hillcountryview

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If it had Seadeck, upgraded stereo & eveyrhing you need to be on the water tomorrow that would be a good price.
I would shoot for $25
The plot thickens... owner just called and said they have 2 other offers at $27k. They're having all 3 interested buyers come at the same time. I get first choice at $27k and if I pass, it goes to the next 2 guys. If they both pass, it goes down to $26 and starts back with me. This is nuts, but it is what the market is right now in Texas. While we really want to pull the trigger on this (assuming everything else checks out)- I am not up for paying more than the boat is worth. Question is- What do we think it's worth based on the current market?

I know it needs a new stereo bc owner said current one doesn't work. Likely needs a Bimini boot and possibly a SS Scupper drain. I won't know on the carpet vs. seadeck until I get there. I doubt it has seadeck and wonder if it even has carpet bc there doesn't seem to be anything in the photos. Any thoughts?

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It got a SS scupper according to the video. The price is what your willing to pay. If it’s super clean and all checks out & what you want buy it but if you have any hesitations then I would pass. Just my .02

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Do you get to go first on the water? If it does not overheat or throw an alarm after a few minutes at 7k-8k rpm, I might jump. I paid 36K in 2007.