• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Buying Experience in the NY Metro Area. . . .

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
*****Disclaimer - This is my own personal experience and opinion, based on a recent purchase. . . I have ZERO affiliation (and NO personal relationship) with ANY dealership*****

So, if you live in the NY Metro Region you have your choice of 3-4 dealers depending upon how far you might be willing to travel. I am writing this post to recommend Patsy's Bay Marina, in Stony Point (on the Hudson in Rockland County). Furthermore, I highly suggest working with Jim over there, who was not only genuinely nice, but extremely professional as well.

Because of my line of work in the customer service industry, it is not often my own customer service expectations are met. I strive everyday to provide my own customers with excellent customer service, and have made a very good living by doing just that. But because of how much I do for MY OWN customers, I also have a VERY high expectation level for when I am the customer. In today's busy world I find that more often than not folks make little effort (ESPECIALLY in the NY Metro Region) to address my concerns, or if they do, it is not out of genuine concern for my happiness.

Picture how astonished I was when my expectations were not only met, but EXCEEDED.

In 2013 I had NO intention of being a new boat owner in 2014. But through an unfortunate series of events, involving the WORST mechanic of all time (located @ Mavrix MotorSports, in Middletown, N.Y.) my 2000 Sea Doo Challenger SE was effectively rendered a paperweight. So, the NY Boat Show came to town and we headed there on 1/1/2014 to take a look at the 212x I had been eying. We arrived prior to the show opening and were one of the first people to arrive at the Yamaha booth. Well, it was there that we met Jim Tammen, the GM for Patsy's Bay Marina. Jim helped answer question after question, over a 1.5 hour period while my wife, 2 young sons and I literally crawled through the 212x and 242LS.

He spent a ridiculous amount of time with us, and NEVER did he try and pressure us to make a purchase (although he did subtly go for the close on only one occasion). He understood our timeframe to buy, budget, and concerns with the potential for 2'itis.

On a side note, he also literally caught my 2.5yr old from toppling out of the back of the boat after taking a mis-step.

His patience, when the kids started to melt after being in the same spot for 90 minutes was incredible. He was understanding and appreciative of the fact that the kids were hitting a wall and that we needed to get moving. (Even though daddy wasn't quite ready to leave yet
icon_mrgreen.gif
)

After our time with him there we traded info and parted company.

That is when my serious research began. . . . I came to this site, then wound up on Boat Trader looking for 2013 leftover 212x's or lightly used 2012's possibly. I found a 212x at another dealer and called them up. I negotiated a SICK deal with him over the phone "knowing" that the 212x was what we wanted. But, I had reservations about completing the deal for 2 reasons. 1. The proximity of the dealer to my location AND 2. I felt bad about not doing business with Jim after all the time we spent on his dime.

I justified the latter to myself by saying that "Jim has no leftover 212x's in inventory" so I had no choice but to work with the people that had inventory, and could give me a fair price/deal. But the fact that he practically saved my son's neck from breaking, left me feeling a little guilty. So I called him up and leveled with him. . . .

Me: Hey Jim, it's (Name) from the opening minutes of day 1 at the show.
Jim: How's (Son's Name) doing? (yes, he actually remembered his name 5 days later)
Me: Fine, thanks for asking. . . . So here's the deal. I found a 2013 212x at (Dealer Name) and ( X ) is what I'm paying for it.
he is including 3yr Warranty and Galv. Trailer. Based on your site you have no leftovers in inventory, and while I'd like to do business with you I don't feel as though I can pass on this deal.
Jim: I completely understand, that sounds like a great price.
Me: I am not sure how it works with Yamaha dealers, but is there anyway you can pull inventory from another dealer?
Jim: Gimme 20 minutes and I'll call you back

Here is where he called the Yamaha rep and attempted to make some moves on my behalf, which I only found out later
(15 minutes passed)

Jim: Hey John, Looks like I can absolutley pull that boat from the other dealer and offer you the same price/options. However, what if I told you that I would be able to offer you a 2014 212x at the dealer cost of the model year difference ($1800 more)?
Me: Then you would have yourself a deal on a 2014 212x

It was at that point I left my deposit on a 212x, on 1/5/13. . . . . . The following day he wrote everything up and emailed me over the details. It was then I started having my reservations about 212x v.s. AR240HO, and the 2'itis that might come later. So, I reached out to Jim to ask:

"Not saying we WOULD do this, but IF we considered the AR240HO, would we simply be able to pay the model difference of the MSRP's?"

His response, "Absolutely, simply pay the model msrp difference and you can take the 240". . . . Now the wheels begin to turn, because although the 212x would be fine for the next few years, we plan on having this boat for the next 10 (at least). So after serious consideration, and back and forth, and polling, and reading, I decided I had to go through these 2 boats side by side to decide once and for all.

So we meet with Jim on his day off (which was my only day off) at the Marina, on a bitter cold, wet Sunday afternoon. Over the course of ANOTHER hour we went through both boats side by side. When we were done crawling through them yet again, we were on the fence about which way to go. ( I know, I know, I was thinking the SAME thing "MAKE A DAMN DECISION ALREADY") Again, Jim was there to reassure us that there was NO pressure, by telling us:

"This is an important decision, you don't have to make it today. . . . . "

On the drive home we ultimately decided on the AR240HO. I went back the following Tuesday and closed on the boat.

Since I knew I got a great deal on the boat, and because I knew it was and added cost to him, I told him not to worry about delivery (which was offered) as I have two very capable trucks to tow her in the spring. At which point he offered up a freshwater slip at his Marina, until I was ready to tow her out of there.

Now, while I have not yet taken delivery. . . . the experience so far has been quite a pleasant surprise.

I felt compelled to write this up for ANYONE in the NY Metro Area that is considering buying a Yamaha, or boating on the Hudson this season.

I will be sure to come back and update this, once I take delivery in a few weeks.

Reactions: Gym
We were also at the NYC show on the first day ( maybe bumped into each other ) and when we walked in the yahama booth we were greeted by a young guy from Patsys, not that he was bad but his lack of sales experience made me look for someone else. So we looked around some more and found Pete from Toms River Yamaha and he was great! First off we knew what we wanted and there was no reason for anyone to sell us on the boat it was more like what dealer had the best deal. Within less than a half hour Pete had us approved thru yamaha fiancing and the only thing left was pick the color and delivery date ( which by the way is this Saturday!!! ) Im happy with his service so far and Im also waiting for the delivery experience. Devildog congrats on your boat and Im happy to hear that Patsy's customer service is top notch. I also try to give the best cust experience possible at my job so I do expect the same level in return.

Ahhh the great experiences have already begun. These are damn good boats.. I hope your good fortune continues guys.

Devil Dog - We've been wintering at Patsy's for years now and keep our Yammi there during the summer as well. I think you will love the service that you receive from Patsy's after you take delivery of your new boat as much as you did your sales experience. Let us know when you take delivery - and make sure you stop by "Justa Little Bit Longer" if we are in our summer slip! We'll have a cold one waiting for you! Just ask Jim where the girls that drink Becks are - he'll know.

I just sent him a note to let him know I'd be reaching out soon to come up with a timeframe for delivery in the next few weeks. . . . . Finally gotta scratch that itch.

@RumDiet sorry I missed you. . . . I came looking for my beer.

Attachments

• 20140921_181944.jpg
    20140921_181944.jpg
    310.8 KB · Views: 14
Don't worry - we'll give you a rain check! Nice meeting you!

Back