• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Buying used

Epsmith19

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Other
Hi All!
Im new to the group and have already learned a lot! I have decided to pull the trigger on a boat. I'm looking to buy used and am looking at Yamaha AR/SX.

I plan on having a marine mechanic look over any boat before I buy but is there anything I should be n the lookout for?

Thanks!

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Where are you located?
is this your first boat?
Do you intend on doing maintenance service / repairs yourself or will you pay someone?

I would suggest a marine mechanic that is familiar with jetskis, this is not a prop boat and many don't know what to do with them or how they should operate,

I'd suggest a test run and a pwc mechanic to look at it, in my signature below is a list of common issues for boats of this vintage,

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Good solid test drive will tell you a lot about the boat. Mechanic will tell you more, but if he misses something he won't fix it for free so you need both... Knowledgeable mechanic and solid test drive.

Ask a lot of questions, some that you know the answer to, so you can gauge the weight you can give to their other answers. Many sellers are honest and upfront. Trust but verify! If something smells like BS, it probably is. An enthusiast can help you with the test drive. Ask around your social group. Somebody knows somebody who owns a boat.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Where are you located?

Epsmith19

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Other
Where are you located?
is this your first boat?
Do you intend on doing maintenance service / repairs yourself or will you pay someone?

I would suggest a marine mechanic that is familiar with jetskis, this is not a prop boat and many don't know what to do with them or how they should operate,

I'd suggest a test run and a pwc mechanic to look at it, in my signature below is a list of common issues for boats of this vintage,
Thank you Scott,

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thx. Too far for me, but with the info is possible others can help.

fireflymedic

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What year boat are you leaning towards? If new enough you may find one with extended warranty. Believe Yamaha realy pushed it 2015 on. Could give you some peace of mind.