• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bypass capacitor and or resistor in bow light (Flip style on vortex)

BobJohnson

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
My bow light was not working. Tested pwr to light assembly and good. On the assembly are what I believe (not good with this stuff) are a capacitor and resistor. I did not have power coming out of the square item or capacitor. I bypassed these 2 items and just have blk & white wire going straight to light. Works. But these wouldn't be here if not needed. What am I damaging by bypassing?

Attachments

Scott E

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Led or regular bulb? LEDs need a resistor to limit the current. The black barrel looks to be a capacitor. Good time to replace with an led assembly if it's not already if you don't want to replace the bad resistor or capacitor.

BobJohnson

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
regular bulb, not LED. it is a 12v bulb. The resistor said 16v on it. Which I thought was odd. I couldn't see any writing on the capacitor (sq thing... I really need to learn more about this). The whole underside of the light assembly was caked in caulk. I pulled what I could away to check contacts and get it working. So, regular, 12 volt bulb should be OK being direct wired (direct at this point, still going through fuses down line).

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would just buy another nav light for peace of mind. Bypassing anything electrical in a boat is just silly.

Chuckbig

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm guessing it's just a voltage/current regulating circuit. What voltage is the bulb? Just a guess, they may be doing something funky to reduce heat in an encapsulated environment, where heat could be an issue. I too wouldn't bypass this.

BobJohnson

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
I've done some research on this. The light is a flip over style made by aqua signal. https://www.amazon.com/Aqua-Signal-Stainless-Hideaway-Navigation/dp/B001B012CS/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_pl_foot_top?ie=UTF8

The light is designed to cut power to the bulb when it is flipped over. That switching component is what I thought was the capacitor. This switch appears to commonly fail and kills power to the light all the time.

From my quick reading on the light, and the number issues I've read about the switch failing going back a few years on other boat brands, I am very disappointed in Chaparral for using this brand light.

I really do like the flip over style. We hardly ever drive at night and my son loves using the bow ladder, so very nice to not have the light sticking up all the time.

I feel better now about bypassing the wires that I know it's a switch. Need to go back and waterproof my connections.

David Analog

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
Resistors are rated in resistance (ohms) and wattage. No reason for a resistor to have a voltage rating.
Capacitors (the round black thing) will not pass DC so you can't test a capacitor without an AC source. A capacitor is typically rated in microfarads (or some increment of farad) and voltage.
I know less than zero about this fixture, and can't see much from the photos, but there must be some form of orientation detection (such as a mercury switch?), possibly a switching relay, and the remaining parts would be in support of the orientation detection/switching function power supply. Again, just thin speculation here. But perhaps this will help reason through the circuit.

Floyd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Impulse
Boat Length
The black electrolytic capacitor can might be used to smooth or even out the voltage. Does the engine supply choppy voltage? Capacitors work like batteries...absorbing and releasing voltage...which tends to average out the voltage supplied to them. The greater the rating(in micro-farads) of the capacitor, the greater the smoothing effect.