• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

C2161 - Reverse module error - Fuse Location - Dual 150HP Motors

ElJefe

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
I know there are some other threads similar to this. Hoping to get some clarity on a specific piece. I have a 2018 215 ID with the twin 150s. I did a oil/filter/plug change recently and went ahead and replaced the battery as well. It was 3 years old, original from the dealer, and did it mostly for piece of mind.

When I turn the key I get the reverse module error and the code is C2161. Both engines start and run fine. I’m just stuck in limp mode and can’t go in reverse. After looking online it seems it’s either a low voltage issue or a fuse. I think I can rule out the low voltage issue because of the new battery. I’m having an issue locating the fuse though.

I can locate 3 fuse boxes. One in the storage area in front of the console. The other two are on the port and starboard walls of the engine compartment. None of them seem to have the reverse fuse.

The dealership says it should be on top of the motor but can’t say exactly where or which motor since I have 2.

Hoping someone has solved this issue or may have a picture of where the fuse is located. Thanks in advance.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Different boat but same stuff...Look to see if you have something like this. This is a fuse for the ereverse unit. When it is blown a lever pivots downward. To reset just swing it back up and it will lock into place. These should be located near the battery(s).

1621521056280.png

ElJefe

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Thanks for the picture and help. I can't seem to find that unit. I've uploaded an overall picture of my engine compartment. There is a fuse box under/behind each coolant overflow bottle. But I haven't been able to find anything that looks like what you have. 2018 scarab engine compartment.jpeg

ElJefe

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Also, just thought about it, I think I may have lost my mind while at the marina working on this. I have ballast bags in both rear, under-seat storage compartments. I *think* there's a panel similar to the one @Dean P posted in his picture on the port side which is in-front of where the batter is in the engine compartment. Of course I was thinking that had to do with the ballast system and didn't think about it being related.

Will report back after I make a trip back down to see if my hunch is right. 2 Follow-up questions in case someone see's this before I do:

1. Is this a fuse or a breaker? Most descriptions make it seem like it's a breaker with an arm of some kind. If it's a fuse that needs to be replaced does anyone know what the amps are?

2. If anyone has a similar boat, and doesn't have to drive an hour to get to it, do you happen to have a picture to confirm I'm not crazy?

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
1. Is this a fuse or a breaker? Most descriptions make it seem like it's a breaker with an arm of some kind. If it's a fuse that needs to be replaced does anyone know what the amps are?
You're correct, it is a breaker and not a fuse (just using your terminology). There is nothing to replace; just swing the arm back up till it clicks. To test the breaker you can push the red button in. This will break the circuit and cause the "arm" to swing down. Sorry to cause any confusion.

ElJefe

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Problem resolved! It was indeed the breaker/fuse. Mine is just in a different location and (being the n00b that I am) I had always associated it with the ballast system. The top breaker in the image marked INR is the one that was tripped. When pushed it clicked back into place. Took the boat out for the inaugural 2021 spin around the lake and she ran perfectly. Pictures attached in hopes this helps someone else.
IMG_0731.jpg IMG_0730.jpg

John Spadavecchia

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I know there are some other threads similar to this. Hoping to get some clarity on a specific piece. I have a 2018 215 ID with the twin 150s. I did a oil/filter/plug change recently and went ahead and replaced the battery as well. It was 3 years old, original from the dealer, and did it mostly for piece of mind.

When I turn the key I get the reverse module error and the code is C2161. Both engines start and run fine. I’m just stuck in limp mode and can’t go in reverse. After looking online it seems it’s either a low voltage issue or a fuse. I think I can rule out the low voltage issue because of the new battery. I’m having an issue locating the fuse though.

I can locate 3 fuse boxes. One in the storage area in front of the console. The other two are on the port and starboard walls of the engine compartment. None of them seem to have the reverse fuse.

The dealership says it should be on top of the motor but can’t say exactly where or which motor since I have 2.

Hoping someone has solved this issue or may have a picture of where the fuse is located. Thanks in advance.
There are 2 plug-in relays inside each of the fuse boxes at the front of each engine. I replaced all 4 relays with these from Amazon. Make sure you get genuine Omron and not counterfeit s.

Attachments

Abdon

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
generally !!! I was hurt a lot by the jet boat, I will sell it and buy an outboard engine