• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Can’t decide between two boats, same model, same price

RichardJ

Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
My wife and I just moved to Cape Coral, Fl. We brought our 2010 Malibu Wakesetter with us from Ky. We love to go up river to wakeboard and wake surf. However, when we take the Malibu out on the Gulf to go to Fort Myers Beach or Sanibel Island the flat bottum on this boat is a terrible ride(not to mention the pounding the boat gets). I’ve done a lot of research and I think the answer is to get a Yamaha x series boat that has the built in ballast tanks. So, here’s my dilemma, I found 2 Yamaha 212x models for sale down here in SWFL. I’d love to get some feedback on which boat you would purchase. Both boats are selling for $58,000
Boat #1 - Yamaha 2020 212x, 150hrs, boat includes Yamaha Wake Booster kit, thrust vectors, FlyHigh ballast bag and pump, Perfect Pass, no trailer, no boat cover.
Boat #2 - Yamaha 2020 212x, 28hrs, boat includes boat cover, thrust vectors and a trailer.

We live on a fresh water canal that flows out to the Calosahatchee River. We have a boat lift and the yamaha service center is on the river.
I’m a new member and would love to hear anyone’s thoughts.

Dave burke

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
To me it’s a no brainer (the 2nd one) but how important is the trailer to you? If not maybe the first one but the cover is important too. Everybody who has a perfect pass says they’re great but you can always add this later if you want.

Low hours is always better in general. Do you know the maintenance history of both boats? The hours on the second boat are so low (avg 10 a year) I’d want to make sure the basic maintenance is done. I assume you’ll do sea trials of both boats? This is a must in my view.

One last thought, coming from a dedicated wakeboat, you’ll find the Yamahas are very versatile but they’re not specialized.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Second boat is a by far better value.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I would go for the boat with a trailer. The lower hours is attractive as well.

fireflymedic

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I also say 2nd boat. Will make it easier to sell when time comes. The New perfect pass is so much easier to install now that it is plug and Play. I admit if you ski/wakeboard much you probably want this.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Many prefer the RideSteady system over PerfectPass as it is more accurate (feature rich) and maybe easier to use, if I remember right.

RichardJ

Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Sounds like the 2nd boat is a better idea and yes, I’ll need to sea trial each boat. if I get boat 2, I’ll check into the RideSteady system. Thanks for all the feedback!

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Boat number 2 for sure

Dixemon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I wouldn't be so quick to jump on the #2 boat bandwagon just yet. I seem to remember a new member here recently asking about a boat that had sat in saltwater for a year. If that were the case, would you still pick Boat #2? I guess my point is that boat #1 could be the better buy depending on how the boat was maintained and care for. In my opinion, there is a lot more to it than just hours.

Last edited:

fireflymedic

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I wouldn't be so quick to jump on the #2 boat bandwagon just yet. I seem to remember a new member here recently asking about a boat that had sat in saltwater for a year. If that were the case, would you still pick Boat #2? I guess my point is that boat #1 could be the better buy depending on how the boat was maintained and care for. In my opinion, there is a lot more to it than just hours.
I think I remember the salt boat from other post had no trailer. But yes both boats need inspection before an informed decision could be made.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
While agreed - a few notes here - #1 comes without trailer so that means it either sat on a lift or in water. It also did not have a cover so was open to elements (even if inside a Marina). In either case I would have doubts it was cared for properly.

#2 - #1 can easily apply minus the cover.... however more than likely this sat on a trailer so it covered and washed/flushed with each outing.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
100% demand a sea trial and see the surf wave. As much as we all love growing the yamaha owning family, if you truly love surfing quite a bit with your existing boat, you may be very disappointed with what those two boats can do for you when it comes to surfing.

Now if that is much less of a priority than pleasure boating, then you are on the right track. None of us can make that decision for you. We can only point it out. As the wave behind my buddies Wakesetter is beyond what any Yamaha can do. But I would pleasure ride in our boat 100x over his boat.

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
If you are expecting a yamaha to have smoother ride in rough surf, it will probably similar to your current boat. Unless you get a deep V hull you need to slow down if you dont want to slam the boat to the waves.

LKMSurfing

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hey Richard. I am down in Bonita. Longtime wake surfer from VA. I surf the Gulf in our Centurion. Granted with the V hull of the Centurion it rides very smooth in the chop. We have a 19ft Yamaha for just zipping around.

Although many years ago, I learned to surf on a Yamaha (2009) There is no replacing a V drive fro the sport. Really depends on how avid of a surfer you are and expectations of a wave. Yamahas are an amazing all around boat. Just really depends what your needs are. We also have a yamaha as for causing around.

message me if you'd like to connect and want more local info.

Attachments

FSUjmm

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I live in Cape Coral and trailer by 22, 210 FSh and love it. If its rough out you have to slow down but haven't had any issues yet with island hopping etc. Look forward to eventually get a tube and towing the kiddo around one day.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Aren't all of the canals in the Cape brackish water? Just didn't want you to think that there is zero salt.

FSUjmm

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
If the canal is gulf access then yes it would be brackish but there is allot of fresh water canals that do not connect to gulf access. Not many people boat in the fresh canals

Judge

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
Welcome! I agree with everyone else that Boat #2 is the way to go.

And as mentioned... the Gulf Access Canals are all brackish as is the Caloosahatchee so you want to make sure you flush the boat after every trip out.

I also live in Cape Coral. I have a '22 275SD that I have yet to get into the water because of hurricane Ian. I bought the boat a month before the hurricane and fortunately didn't have it in the water.

I live down at Tarpon Point and the marina is still closed and I am waiting to see if I can get into a slip with a lift. I was under contract to have a lift put in but a lot of people are bailing after the hurricane and the Harbor Master things he can get me into a slip that already has a lift.

I'm also currently on the wait list at MarineMax off McGregor in Ft Myers. I'm starting to lean more towards rack storing it right off the Caloosahatchee. It's a ~15 minute drive vs a 5 minute walk to the boat but it is cheaper and they flush the boat, wash it, put the cover off and will fuel it.

I'm waiting to see which place calls first but I won't get it into the water until October. We just left the Cape to see some family up in PA and then we are taking out motorhome on a trip to Alaska.

Hopefully we can meet up in the fall and hang out at Sanibel.