• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

CAN Communication Error

keri21

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Good Afternoon, I'm trying to find some answers on an issue we're having with our 17’ Yamaha SX 210

Motors cranked and are running just fine but we’re getting an error than says CAN communication error and the RPM gauges are running wild. Alarm sounds after a few seconds, you can silence the alarm but it starts again.

* New Battery and still having the same issue*** I called Cycle Springs where we purchased and have had our service done and they had no clue what the error code means.

I recently spoke to a mechanic who is about 2 hours from us, his suggestions were:
"Ok so normally this can be a few issues - one could be the wiring with a communication failure I have also had bad relays or voltage regulators."

Please Advise!

CAN is the bus system that connects the ECU to the engines and gauges (and everything). This error means you have a fault in that bus system. It is either:
a) one of the units is unplugged
b) one of the connectors has corrosion
c) one of the terminators (at either end of the bus) is missing/unplugged

And, yes, they are nasty to locate... basically need to start at one side of the bus and work your way to the other side and check everything.

Thank you, do you think this is something we can do on our own?

I would at least take a run at it on your own first. It may be as simple as a disconnected wire (someplace like behind the helm, where you may have put something in and hit it). You can find the connector on the back of the gauges (in fact, I think one of the lines usually terminates there or right after them). Then it is a matter of following that cable. Pull apart the junctions, look for corrosion, check that they are put together solidly... move to the next. Only trick usually is figuring out how to release the connectors (some you pull up on the little tab; others you press down on the little tab...).

You may not solve the problem (it may be more advanced, etc.). But I usually like to try that stuff before I take it in. Would really frustrate me to hear, 'oh, there was a connector lose behind the helm' after I troubled to drag the boat in and all.

Back