• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Can I just charge the batteries with a simple battery tender charger?

JMSGA

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ive got a 22 AR250. I like to keep my batteries on a tender at the house. The battery setup is throwing me for a loop with the BEP setup. Ive read alot of the posts already but am still confused. Can I just charge each of the two batteries individually by unplugging the small ground wire coming off the back of the BEP? Then plug it back in when I get done charging?

jamesk

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That is what I do now, I added a fuse inline to the grounding wire and I just pull the fuse out when I am charging the 2 Batteries at home. I use a 2 bank charger that charges each battery separately. I have my charger always connected so I just need to plug it into 120 line and pull the fuse. You can rewire the ground to go live when the boat is running but I did not want to pull the switches off to get to the back of them etc.

JMSGA

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks, I forgot I need a deep cycle charger too.

MrBubbaGump

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Depends on the amperage... Most simple battery tenders won't supply enough amperage to fully charge the battery especially on a deep cycle. I would recommend at least 10 amps like this NOCO - 2-Bank 20A On-Board Battery Charger - GENPRO10X2 I have the one bank version but plan on getting this when it comes back in stock. If you run your radio for hours on end at the beach like I do you need this to bring the battery back up.