• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Can JL Audio MX650 speakers be driven at 2 Ohms?

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
You don't drive a speaker at lower ohms. That's a measure of the electrical resistance of the speaker and the resultant load they place on an amplifier. The real question is can you run your amplifier into the load presented by the speakers. If you were to put two 4 ohm speakers in parallel, that would present a 2 ohm load to your amplifier. Most aftermarket amplifiers can drive a 2 ohm load (not when bridged, though). In any case, the impedance of a speaker is what it is.

lashburn1

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
^^^ what he said.
Speakers are dumb

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ah, good point. Been a long time since my circuits class. :shamefullyembarrased::shamefullyembarrased::shamefullyembarrased:

I am considering using a JL Audio M400/4 to drive a pair of MX650s on the swimdeck.
If I go that route, I will probably reserve a pair of channels for a sub to be added later.
Really, just trying to re-learn all of this.
http://www.jlaudio.com/m400-4-marine-audio-m-series-amplifiers-98271

Thanks for pointing out my ignorance so concisely. :p

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
With that amp, for the time being you could bridge it down to 2 channels and run one MX650 off of each. That way, each of the 4 channels would effectively see a 2 ohm load, resulting in a lot of power to the MX650s. Maybe too much. I'm looking at that amp as a possibility to run 4 MX650s or MX770s (haven't decided yet) inside my boat.

brockhals

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
If you're planning to run a sub anyway (at some point), I'd do a 500/3 instead. Still gives you 100 watts for each 650, plus 300 watts for a sub

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Plan is slowly coming together...

image.jpg

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:cool:

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Your going to love those speakers. I am not certain your reserving enough with a 400/4 for the sub. I have a 600/6 and a 500/3 to drive 8 JL MX650's and the 10" JL sub. That gives a nominal 100w to each speaker and 300 to the sub at 14.4v It is stated to be less at 12.2V but as @David Analog always says, JL Amps deliver their rated 14.4 power at 12.2. But I could also swear that Odin told me that even though it is 400, it is more like 240W total, or 4 amps internally rated 60w each. David?

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think I may take @brockhals advice and go with the M500/3.

@txav8r , you were 100% correct about build quality! Very, very solid in the hand.
I can't wait to get them installed and hear 'em.

David Analog

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
Your going to love those speakers. I am not certain your reserving enough with a 400/4 for the sub. I have a 600/6 and a 500/3 to drive 8 JL MX650's and the 10" JL sub. That gives a nominal 100w to each speaker and 300 to the sub at 14.4v It is stated to be less at 12.2V but as @David Analog always says, JL Amps deliver their rated 14.4 power at 12.2. But I could also swear that Odin told me that even though it is 400, it is more like 240W total, or 4 amps internally rated 60w each. David?
PasMag tested and reviewed the JL Audio XD500/3 amplifier. The review revealed that the amplifier delivered about 135% of its rated power, maintained its 14.4 volt rated power even with a 12.6 volt supply, and maintained 97% of its 1 kHz rated power across the entire audio bandwidth.
The JL Audio XD400/4 is similar in its abilities compared to its conservative ratings. Bridged, the 400/4 will deliver 2 X 280 watts with a 14.4V supply and 2 X 200 watts with a 12.6V supply, which is a bit rich for an MX series coaxial.
Most would select one amplifier versus the other, between the 500/3 and 400/4, based on the impedance of their single subwoofer selection. But even with a 4-ohm sub, I'd have to give the edge to the headroom gained with an amplifier having the largest power supply which is likely to be the 500/3.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
PasMag tested and reviewed the JL Audio XD500/3 amplifier. The review revealed that the amplifier delivered about 135% of its rated power, maintained its 14.4 volt rated power even with a 12.6 volt supply, and maintained 97% of its 1 kHz rated power across the entire audio bandwidth.
The JL Audio XD400/4 is similar in its abilities compared to its conservative ratings. Bridged, the 400/4 will deliver 2 X 280 watts with a 14.4V supply and 2 X 200 watts with a 12.6V supply, which is a bit rich for an MX series coaxial.
Most would select one amplifier versus the other, between the 500/3 and 400/4, based on the impedance of their single subwoofer selection. But even with a 4-ohm sub, I'd have to give the edge to the headroom gained with an amplifier having the largest power supply which is likely to be the 500/3.
Thanks for your input, David. Always appreciated. I am assuming the M and XD are essentially similar other than more moisture hardening and a corresponding higher price point on the M, is that correct?

I am thinking I will go with an M300/5 amp and the MX10IB3 or the M10IB5 sub...depends a bit on the money situation and spousal tolerance, of course.

Anyone have any thoughts on the M vs MX sub?

If all goes to plan, I will likely approach Odin on a package with the sub, amp, mounting ring, etc. plus a WS-420 in a couple of months. Dialing in on the target!

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I think you meant the 700/5 didn't you? The sub you want is the M10iB5.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Or you could do the 600/6 and use two channels together on the sub I think.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
No, meant the M300/5, to drive the two swimdeck MX650s and the sub. I have a Clarion driving the cockpits coaxes.

What is benefit of M sub over MX?

Edit: I may upgrade the cockpit db651 coaxes and amp to JL, but that would be down the road. Also trying to slide in Seadek this year!

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Sorry, I got lost in the number of speakers. I thought we were talking 4 in the boat. Does JL make a 300/3 in the marine version? The JL Amps are all the same internally pretty much. The XD is not marine rated and the M is. It is external stainless hardware and corrosion coatings that the M has.
I will Look at the subs again, but the only two 10" JL's recommended generally is the air suspension and the IB. And both are M10's.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
The mx series sub is only rated 50-175w. The M series is 75-250w. In an open air boat, the mx is going to be less than you want. It is good for placement in a cabin really, not open air.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
But you can drive the M10W5 enclosed or the M10iB5 infinite baffle with 180-200w very well.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The mx series sub is only rated 50-175w. The M series is 75-250w. In an open air boat, the mx is going to be less than you want. It is good for placement in a cabin really, not open air.
Ah, got it. I was missing that. Makes sense. Funny how, at least in boating, the better solution almost always costs more $$$! ;)

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Yeah, but the best bang for the buck on a 6.5" JL is the MX, not the M! So sometimes the better solution doesn't cost more!