• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Can you convert a 2015 to have the drive by wire throttles

jwells

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I love my boat but would like to have the single throttle co trol both without having to hold both throttle together. Can it be changed?

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would think it is possible but the cost would be extremely high, so high in fact you would have been better off buying the E model instead.
Throttles, wiring harnesses , 2 ECUs

jwells

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I would think it is possible but the cost would be extremely high, so high in fact you would have been better off buying the E model instead.
Throttles, wiring harnesses , 2 ECUs
Ya I was just curious I need to adjust my cables I haven't touched them in four years and they are slightly out of line I wish the had the eaeries in 15 I would bought it I think I'm gonna wait and at 60 months but a new one through that program Yamaha gives you at 60 montha

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
RideSteady would let you sync your throttles (and gps cruise control) with a knob, if that’s what you’re looking for.

@Ridesteady @swatski (and others) has experience with the system.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I love my boat but would like to have the single throttle co trol both without having to hold both throttle together. Can it be changed?
Your best bet and the closest thing would be RideSteady.
It is a fabulous system, BTW.

--

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The e series throttles are just 5v ref 6 lead potentiometers (pots) and replace the 5v ref 6 lead aps pots that are in the enigine bay on non eseries models. Running new wire back to those from the throttles would not be that hard. The more difficult part is the bucket control and a control unit to to manage them. Someone familiar with with building and programming steppers or actuator controls could do that. Parts cost would be the thrttles plus another $200 in wire, control board (arduino or similar), and steppers/actuators. The biggest cost would be time which is why I avoided that project. Mechanical throttle syncs from jbp were very easy to install. Now if someone has the time and skills please do this and post the full how to along with pics.

I have and like Ridesteady. I don’t choose to use it for cruising speed control very often though. For tow sports it is awesome.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My vote is to save yourself some money and trouble. Get yourself the Ridesteady system for this boat and then upgrade to an E-Series in a couple of years.

I think the ridesteady is the simplest way to get you what you want in the meantime. I love having it! You can combine that with the JBP throttle sync and it'll be as close as you can get.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
At risk of being viewed as too eager to praise the RideSteady system, lets clarify some things here!

First, JBP throttle synch is NOT a throttle synch. It is simply a plastic tether that ties the binnacle levers together, it does nothing to synchronize the twin engines (RPM).

Yamaha throttles/APSs are almost impossible to mechanically synchronize across the full RPM range.

If you are like me and you can not stand the resonant noise of an out-of-synch twin 4-cylinder engines revving at 5k+ (cruise speeds) you need something to electronically synchronize the engines (across the range).

I have very limited experience with E-throttles, but the regular non-E throttles response curve in both of my Yamahas (sx190, ar240) is just ridiculous; it has a long dead zone followed by an extremely short range of zero-to-WOT!
(think Ford Fiesta/Chevy Spark rental - no offense)

When pounding rough water throttle levers can move (by inertia) which can be annoying or dangerous depending on the circumstances; it is difficult/impossible to make fine adjustments while under way in rough water.

The RideSteady in RPM mode provides a fine tool for engine synch and cruise control; personally, I just push the throttles up all the way and adjust cruise speeds with the knob. LOVE IT.

The R-S system is expensive at over $1,000, but it is plug-and-play, fully supported by the manufacturer; and the price is literally a fraction of cost of a non-E to E conversion with factory parts.

--