• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Can you drive on highway with wakeboard in wakeboard rack?

dansshin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Now that we took out the "bandwagon" tube (I didn't realize how huge until I tried to lift the box it came in, LOL) and storing it in floor storage bin of my 212x I need to find another place to transport the wakeboards. For now we are just throwing it in the back of our MDX but was wondering if putting it on wakeboard rack that 212x comes with is an option if you drive on highway at speeds of 65 MPH?

Thank you in advance for any feedback and input.

I don't have Wake boards but I wouldn't. I do not transport my kneeboard or surf boards in the racks while trailering.

@jcyamaharider Thanks. That's what I thought as well but wanted to verify as I'm running out of space in the boat to store with the tube taking all the space under the floor. Also having it in MDX is not a good option when we need to put the third row up.

By the way how do you put your knee board on the rack? Knee board seems bit thick to fit in the 212x rack and it was too wide to even put it in the floor storage.

@jcyamaharider Thanks. That's what I thought as well but wanted to verify as I'm running out of space in the boat to store with the tube taking all the space under the floor. Also having it in MDX is not a good option when we need to put the third row up.

By the way how do you put your knee board on the rack? Knee board seems bit thick to fit in the 212x rack and it was too wide to even put it in the floor storage.

I have a wake/kneeboard fingers and a wake/surf fingers.

20150504_173836.jpg

20150504_173842.jpg

Wow. I like those. Did you replace the factory wake board racks? Would those work on 2013 212x towers? Where did you buy it from?

Thank you.

No I just bought the cheap 100 dollar racks off of eBay and robbed the forks off of those and put them on my racks. I wasn't worried about bolt holes lining up because I have access to CNC equipment that can take care of anything. But I didn't need them, bolt holes lined up perfect. I just needed to buy some different hardware, flat head cap screws. I did have to mill a slot in the fingers for a place to stretch the nylon cord to, but that could be done with a bimetal jig saw blade as well.

I wouldn't. I would think that it wouldn't be much different than moving through the water at 'x' mph, but the big difference is IF they somehow come loose and fall off. On the water, not that big of a deal. On the road, only the board will be trashed if you're lucky. If you're not, you could do major property damage or injure or kill someone in another vehicle if they hit it.

You would also be over the max width for your trailer with the boards in and could possibly get a ticket (I've heard of this done before). Also, be careful how you set boards in the boat, they will fly out at highway speeds, we lost one this way and were fortunate that it didn't hit anyone.

If you need seating, you could add a Thule ski carrier to the MDX, they hold a few boards perfectly.

@MOA_Chaser I agree it's probably not good ideal to leave the board in the rack while driving in highway speeds.

@robbo3 Thanks for the info on Thule ski carrier. I'll take a look to see if that's an option for us. When the 3rd row seats are up there isn't any room left in our MDX for wake board or knee board so something like this may come in handy.

@jcyamaharider I could definitely use more space to store away things like a knee board as it doesn't fit in 212x rack. Then it occurred to me. I have more storage space above that I could potentially utilize. But is there anything to help secure it?

19397103721_5a407bedfa_b.jpg

I wouldn't tow with board on the rack. Especially if you're towing on a major highway at highway speeds. While the speeds are similar to that out on the lake, I'm still yet to see a semi tractor trailer pass me on the lake. Those things (along with larger RV's and tall boats on trailers like ours) can "push" a lot of air and cause a ton of turbulence. Also, I'd hate for a mirror on a truck like that to grab hold of something sticking out a few extra inches as they passed on by.

I always tow with the trailering cover on so things are completely covered. That being said, it's still a challenge to find a place to put the wake boards. The best place I've found is to place one of my tubes in the bow seats and then put the boards on top of the deflated tube with one end of the board on the port seat and the other on the starboard. They don't seem to move and don't scratch the seats that way.

Back