• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Can you surf behind a 2010 Yamaha 242?

Orion

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Looking at possibly getting a 2010 Yamaha 242, and wanted to see if anyone had success surfing behind one. If so, what modifications did you do?

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have a 2012 ( same hull & engines ) that I use as transportation, so no first and experience, but I have been on a 2008 surfing and a 2015, so you should be able to do it. Although you might want to plan 3,000 of mods

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looking at possibly getting a 2010 Yamaha 242, and wanted to see if anyone had success surfing behind one. If so, what modifications did you do?
It's not primarily a surf boat but it can be made to surf.

- It will take ballast in the swim platform:

- It will help to have ballast in your ski locker

- It will help to have a wake shaping device. The Gantlin is THE BEST.

- It will help tremendously to have a GPS speed control.

- I can get you on the right board and surf rope. When you're ready hook help you make the best selection and shoot you a discount code.

We hope to see you back on here soon with pics of your awesome new to you boat! 🤙

Orion

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Thanks for the info. Is it possible to surf with only internal ballast and the wake shaping device? Wake doesn’t have to be perfect and I don’t mind having to hold onto the rope a little.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the info. Is it possible to surf with only internal ballast and the wake shaping device? Wake doesn’t have to be perfect and I don’t mind having to hold onto the rope a little.
It is possible, but it can be challenging to go ropeless, and if you do the pocket is so small you don't really do a whole lot of room to play. Boats compatible with the new WakeBooster are getting better results, but even that has been reported to be better with additional ballast. The real key is to get as much weight as you can in the back corner and get the boat to list surf side.

Here's a write up I did on on creating the best wake with stock ballast:

The Wake Wedge is at its best with more ballast on the swim platform. I've never seen a better wake than with this combination. I'm on my 3rd season with the Wake Wedge and my first with the Custom Transom Ballast. The addition of the extra bag completely transformed the surf experience. The wedge wasn't very effective without it unless we had a lot of human ballast to move to the back and one side.

I'm with you though... I disliked the idea of external ballast strapped to my boat and it is a bit cumbersome to deal with. But the first time I got on the wake with it... it was a RUSH... It was liberating to have a wake I could play on. It's so much better, it's worth the hassle.

My recommendation is, if you like wakesurfing. Don't waste a season with a mediocre wake. Bite the bullet and get set up to have fun from the start, you'll enjoy your boat and the surf experience so much more.

Orion

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Ok. Thanks for the info.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the info. Is it possible to surf with only internal ballast and the wake shaping device?
Short answer: no.
Currently, the minimal best setup would be considered to include Custom swim deck bag, another bag in ski locker (factory or aftermarket) and a Wake Wedge, or possibly Yamaha WakeBooster (in this order).

--

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Just to clarify, a 242LS has no internal/stock ballast. But if you are referring to internal ballast, as in the ski locker, that does help, but not like the custom transom bag. You can rope surf behind it with plenty of friends stacked on one side of the boat towards the rear. Just don't expect a wave like you see from these other custom setups.

Best bet is buy the board and rope first and play with it. Once you are up on the board, you will start justifying all the other mods listed one at a time.

Good luck,

Last edited: