• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Cape Coral/Ft Myers info.

spaz944

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Any one in the Cape Coral area have any advice for a newbie to this area for traversing canals, Caloosahatchee river, and gulf waters? I live near the Veterans bridge and have watched a few boats in and out of Horton park. I have a small lift that I think will fit my boat but haven't tried it. Boat is in storage. I'm looking for some assistance as I've never been on salt waters or had to navigate waterways. I was only on small lakes where I moved from. It doesn't seem too difficult but I don't want to scrape up my nice Yamaha boat.

Thanks for your time and any advice.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Welcome aboard! I am down in Naples and do not get into the Ft. Myers waterways too much. I can only tell you to stay within the channel markers due to the shallow waters in some of the areas especially behind Ft. Myers Beach.

There are quite a few salt water boaters on the site and have posted many tips. My number 1 rule is keep the salt water in the Gulf! Dry off before entering and hosing down the entire boat is a must after every trip. Flush the motors with salt-a-way after every trip as well.

Feel free to post up any questions you may have in the general discussion area. Check out the FAQ thread for endless tip and answers.

Cheers!

The Wanderer2

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Murf is correct about following the channel markers due to the shallow waters and crab pots. Crab pots are everywhere except within the channel markers around here. The Caloosahatchee River is well marked and easy to follow. You need to be aware of the slow speed Manatee Zones and follow the rules. I would get a map from West Marine to help you learn the area. Also, a Gps is a valuable tool and I highly recommend getting one. The Caloosahatchee can get choppy but the Gulf can get down right rough. I'm use to boating the Great Lakes and Lake Erie, so the river is a piece of cake. I would only venture out in the Gulf on calm days after you get a lay of the land. I live off Four Mile Cove not far from Veterans Bridge and Horton Park. I just put my boat in the water last Thursday at Horton Park.

spaz944

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for the tips. I am thinking of joining a boat club and venturing out with people that know the areas before heading out on my own. I'll get the maps and I've looked at some of the GPS units at West already. I've just got to get my nerves up and just do it. It sounds like I'm making more of it than it really is.

Thanks again for the tips. I'll also check the other areas mentioned on this site.

The Wanderer2

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Don't be afraid of the river, it's marked pretty good. When I first came down to Cape Coral, I cruised the river and Pine Island Sound with no navigational aids and never had a problem.

spaz944

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Update: I've been out a few times now and it really is an easy commute. I've been as far as the Sanibel light house so far. I really like the area and have seen Dolphins, turtles, lots of birds and even a flamingo. It's nice to just lower the boat and go without trailering and dealing with the ramp issues.

Hopefully I'll see some other Yamaha owners out on the water and be able to connect.

Britboater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi there, I venture down to Sanibel occasionally, we love North Captiva, beautiful and very quiet, the beach is awesome.
As mentioned, crab pots :mad: what a nightmare, at high tide some of them disappear below the surface, it's a constant problem travelling around Peace River. However, I'm not sure if at speed they will affect us jetboaters, logic tells me we would just glide over them, unlike when I had a rental boat a few years ago and caught one with the outboard, the cage just wrapped itself around the prop and leg.

spaz944

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That's a beautiful boat ya got there. Maybe we will see you on the water sometime.

Kevin Carlin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
Thanks for the tips. I am thinking of joining a boat club and venturing out with people that know the areas before heading out on my own. I'll get the maps and I've looked at some of the GPS units at West already. I've just got to get my nerves up and just do it. It sounds like I'm making more of it than it really is.

Thanks again for the tips. I'll also check the other areas mentioned on this site.

Kevin Carlin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
Welcome! I'm fairly new to the jetboat thing also. But I have ventured out about 10 times since I bought my boat in Jan.
I now have about 27 hrs on her. I am also in the Cape, right off skyline.
The first few times I went on out during break in I went out on the canals off burnt store. Just trolling.
Then I did the Caloosahachee river a few times out to Sanibel.
With all the water from lake "O" being released and seeing all the dead fish the river for my wife and I it's been a real turn off. The black sum on my boat was terrible.
Last time I put out at Bokeelia. With 5 minutes we were in Charlotte harbor. Then we ventured out to Cayo Costa island.
(you can only get thier by boat)
What a difference in water clarity and fish! My wife and I loved it. Untouched.
You just need navigation charts and depth finder because there are a lot of very shallow waters getting there.
I have a new Garmin that I bought from west marine. Very user friendly.
So for me, until they stop letting the water from lake O I'm done with the river and FMB.
I'll go north or 20 mile south.
Good luck with the boat! Maybe we can all get together in this area and go out as a group.

spaz944

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Kevin Carlin, thanks for your post. I haven't been out since the water releases. It's really sad that they know what it's doing to the river, tourism, and wildlife, yet they just keep releasing waters. I think it is BS personally.
Anyway, I have done my maintenance on my boat and I am itching to go out again soon. I finally got a GPS/Plotter and I am waiting on a bracket to get it installed. I will be nice to have that instead of trying to read my iPad in the sunlight.

My boat is on a lift in my back yard so trailering to another area would be a pain since my trailer is in storage.

I hope we can hook up at some point. That would be great.

Take care and we will see you on the water.

The Wanderer2

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I haven't been out for awhile myself. I didn't realize how bad the water has gotten. From what I understand they have started cutting back on the water releases as of last Friday. Maybe I'll see you guy's out on the water. I also have my boat on a lift and the trailer in storage.

Britboater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome! I'm fairly new to the jetboat thing also. But I have ventured out about 10 times since I bought my boat in Jan.
I now have about 27 hrs on her. I am also in the Cape, right off skyline.
The first few times I went on out during break in I went out on the canals off burnt store. Just trolling.
Then I did the Caloosahachee river a few times out to Sanibel.
With all the water from lake "O" being released and seeing all the dead fish the river for my wife and I it's been a real turn off. The black sum on my boat was terrible.
Last time I put out at Bokeelia. With 5 minutes we were in Charlotte harbor. Then we ventured out to Cayo Costa island.
(you can only get thier by boat)
What a difference in water clarity and fish! My wife and I loved it. Untouched.
You just need navigation charts and depth finder because there are a lot of very shallow waters getting there.
I have a new Garmin that I bought from west marine. Very user friendly.
So for me, until they stop letting the water from lake O I'm done with the river and FMB.
I'll go north or 20 mile south.
Good luck with the boat! Maybe we can all get together in this area and go out as a group.
I did see a feature on the water release from lake O and the detrimental effect its having to tourism, very sad. Sometimes you notice the water around Cayo Costa slightly green from the wash out from Peace River but thats natural.