• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Car Audio

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I know some of you are very knowledgeable of car audio and I'm not getting much help on the BMW forums. I'm looking to buy a 2017 BMW M240i soon and it has the stock Hifi system: stock amp, 2x 5" front, 2x 5" rear, 1 center, 2 underseat woofers. I'm looking for an upgrade and keep it around $1000.

Bavsound sells 4x speakers for $550, but I'm wondering if there's a better strategy. Like buy from a more reputable brand like Kicker, find crossovers, and add tweeters to the doors (I can buy the OEM trim for tweeters for $100). And add a powered sub like Hideaway Powered Subwoofer | KICKER® I don't think I need more bass than that, I haven't had crazy subs in my cars since NYC was wearing oversized shirts and pants at the knees.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
As a professional installer ~15 years - stick with the Bavsound. Modern BMWs suck to upgrade. Their OEM style solution is the best bet, going to a big name brand is cost a lot of money, labor, and headaches.

I've installed probably 25 of the Kicker Hide-Aways. They are ok at best. I leave for single cab trucks really. You already have two woofers - this won't add much. I also don't think it would fit under your seat.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
As a professional installer ~15 years - stick with the Bavsound. Modern BMWs suck to upgrade. Their OEM style solution is the best bet, going to a big name brand is cost a lot of money, labor, and headaches.

I've installed probably 25 of the Kicker Hide-Aways. They are ok at best. I leave for single cab trucks really. You already have two woofers - this won't add much. I also don't think it would fit under your seat.
What would you do to upgrade the bass then? Bavsound has upgraded subs with the speakers for $1050. They also don't ship internationally so I would have to bring them on the plane. I'm already planning to travel with a new mountain bike, seasucker bike rack, a larger screen for the bmw, and now speakers lol I don't know if they will stop me to try to get import duties from me.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
What would you do to upgrade the bass then? Bavsound has upgraded subs with the speakers for $1050. They also don't ship internationally so I would have to bring them on the plane. I'm already planning to travel with a new mountain bike, seasucker bike rack, a larger screen for the bmw, and now speakers lol I don't know if they will stop me to try to get import duties from me.
For a simple solution I would go with their subs. Other than it would be traditional box and woofer... which will put you over $1000 alone all in.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I'm not sure if their subs will give me the sound that I'm looking for. The following would keep me within my budget..

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I'm not sure if their subs will give me the sound that I'm looking for. The following would keep me within my budget..
Add in an amp kit as well. The CX400 is a great budget amp and does take high-level signal and remote sensing so you can tag directly off the rear speakers and not use a remote wire. If doing the labor your self, the job isn't bad at all - if the battery is in the trunk. I don't recall on the 2series.... but I think they are on most BMWs. I've done a shit ton of the old CX300s. Get some Tessa Tape to wrap your wires and if done right it will look 100% oem.