• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Car robbed, boat ok

paratrooper39

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just thought I would share my sadness for the fact that my car was broken into last night, along with about 20 others in my neighborhood. There were several instances where they actually took garage door openers, however mine was not one. Typically we park in the garage but recently got the boat out of storage and it's now resting in the garage.

If nothing else, I wanted to just post a PSA for the love of your family and toys, please remember to always lock your vehicles and keep in mind if you park outside place your garage door opener in a spot that is not visible from the exterior of the vehicle.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sorry for your loss. I know the feeling.

Since they took garage door openers they must be planning to come back or sell them to others that will. Home invasion is so much more dangerous than taking stuff out of unlocked cars. Please be careful and make sure your family is prepared.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Do not leave anything valuable in plain site... they typically will open unlocked cars because a locked car will wake the neighborhood if the alarm goes off. However they will risk it of they can see a valuable object through the window.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Also I have had many reports of garage door openers taken but never heard of them come back and use them. However that is not something u can risk... change remote code... or disable the garage door until u can get it sorted out.. never risk it..

paratrooper39

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Bruce and @bronze_10 the garage door opener isn't as concerning to me since I have an automated home I can limit the ability to open the garage with only our phones and additionally it logs and alerts both of us of any opening/closing. I didn't have anything on display in the vehicle, however I have Army Veteran license plates which the detective noted was a good indicator of what might be in the vehicle, which subsequently was. That being said, I keep a very careful logbook of all inventory and was able to report the serial number, which increases the likelihood of it being caught at a pawn shop. Thanks for your concerns, it's just so sad/annoying since we just built the house only a year ago and didn't expect this.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Bruce and @bronze_10 the garage door opener isn't as concerning to me since I have an automated home I can limit the ability to open the garage with only our phones and additionally it logs and alerts both of us of any opening/closing. I didn't have anything on display in the vehicle, however I have Army Veteran license plates which the detective noted was a good indicator of what might be in the vehicle, which subsequently was. That being said, I keep a very careful logbook of all inventory and was able to report the serial number, which increases the likelihood of it being caught at a pawn shop. Thanks for your concerns, it's just so sad/annoying since we just built the house only a year ago and didn't expect this.
Well.. I'll tell you like I tell people when I get called out there and they tell me that same item was stolen.... don't leave it in the car! (I have done the same and woke up and went out at 2 am to get it out.)

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Well.. I'll tell you like I tell people when I get called out there and they tell me that same item was stolen.... don't leave it in the car! (I have done the same and woke up and went out at 2 am to get it out.)
I just installed a couple Lock'er-down safes, pretty cost effective units that do the job.
http://lockerdown.com/ld2043.shtml

jeremy0011

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I'm installing a 3MP POE camera system this weekend. Costco has a sale on them right now if your interested.

paratrooper39

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@jeremy0011 thanks I've been looking around all day at different stuff. I think I'm going to drop the coin on the Arlo system by netgear, totally wireless and solid reviews!

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@paratrooper39 This has shaken me as I do not have my serial numbers wrote down to any of my " XXXX" so I will go home and wrote them down. I also just leave it in the console of my truck so that will change as well. A definite eye opener for all of us. Sorry to hear about this situation for you.

Last edited:

paratrooper39

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@jcyamaharider I think its a wise idea. I've always kept a very detailed list of all my firearms, what I've done to them, number of rounds fired, number of rounds on hand, ect.... sounds anal but its good info to know.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have all the numbers written down but I also have digital pictures of the guns and a pic zoomed in on the serial number just in case there is any question. I have then all stored on a jump drive in my safe.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wow, that a bummer @paratrooper39 sorry to hear about your break in.

A few years ago I was hearing about a group of burglars that were targeting "soccer mom" style vehicles at a local shopping mall. The robbers would break into the car, hot wire it, look in the glove box and drive the car to the address on the registration and open the garage door with the garage door opener. Needless to say, they would have a lot of time to rob the house while the owner of the car was shopping, then calling the police and filing a report for a stolen car. Then hours later realizing that their house had been hit too. Since then, I've always cut out my address on all ID left in the vehicle.

Again, sorry to hear about your issue. Criminals are stupid and usually get caught. Hopefully they still have your valuables when they do.

I'm really interested in putting up a security camera system myself. I'd love to hear what system you go with.

jcsmith77

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
After an incident where someone got into my unlocked car which i normally double check. I had put up a wired cam with dvr and then when we moved i got a foscam wireless cam at the corner of my garage that emails me three pics when it detects motion. The pics are pretty much real time and i know when the delivery truck has come and gone and anyone else that came up the driveway. I find that the pics give me the same or better peace of mind than a cheap video solution with crappy interface. I could also video off the foscam but just haven't ever put the effort in.

http://smile.amazon.com/FI9803P-Megapixel-1280x720p-Outdoor-Wireless/dp/B00M6TD4HO/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1460518077&sr=1-2&keywords=foscam+outdoor

oh and ditto on taking detailed pics of valuables and their serial numbers. I store the pics of mine in my dropbox account.