• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Carling Switch wiring

VONCE

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I finally got my dash cut out for the new switches. Everything is a tight squeeze, but I think it's going to look neat when it's done. Most of the switches are easy to wire. But I'm having issues with the nav/anc light switch. I want the switch to turn on both the nav and anchor lights when the switch is pressed up, and the anchor when down. Turning on nav will also trigger all of the backlights on my new switches. No matter which direction it's switched, I want the bottom indicator to be on for nav or anchor. This switch is a 10 terminal switch so I keep confusing myself. If anyone has, or wants to draw a diagram, I'd appreciate it. The very top two and very bottom two terminals are for the indicator lights. Remember, I want the bottom indicator to come on with nav OR anchor. Any help is appreciated. I have attached the PDFs new wire sent me. They are informative, but I just mainly don't know how to jump for my bottom indicator to come on for both positions.

Attachments

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If you want the bottom indicator only to be on regardless of the switch position, you just have to splice the wire that would go to pin 8, to pin 10, with the wire that goes to pin 10.
If you want to have them both on in one position, and only one in the other, it gets a tad more tricky.

VONCE

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm still fighting with the wiring, but here is a sneak peak of the unfinished switches! IMG_5177.JPG IMG_5179.JPG IMG_5198.JPG

malibu Dan

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Holly batmobile that's a lot of switches... looks great with the backlighting...

VONCE

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Still not done, but here's a few more pictures. Including a picture with the dash (somewhat) in place. The close-up is from the back of the nav/anchor light switch. I counted 19 wires connected to it! But the really good news... I must have figured out the wiring because everything seems to be working with the new switches! I also went with red LEDs in the gauges. The new depth finder is bright green though - it's the only thing that isn't red. Bummer, but I'll live. Can anyone figure out my favorite color yet? IMG_5247.JPGIMG_5248.JPGIMG_5249.JPG

ratchetdu

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
What size and how many red LED's for gauge lights? Also, do you happen to know courtesy light sizes? I was waiting to get mine out of storage and then order some, but if you can tell me the size, I can order sooner. :) Tackling installing LED strips in interior, swimdeck, and an underwater light in a few weeks.

VONCE

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I plan on installing the strips too. As far as the courtesy light, I'm not sure. It's screwed in pretty good. I've seen a posting on here (or the other site) with part numbers for the courtesy light LED conversion. I'll take it out next time I get out there tinkering, hopefully later today. For the gauges, I just got some red LED wedge bulbs from eBay. They were only like $4 and came in a pack of 10. They are all the same for each gauge. Just do a search for 194 or wedge red LED bulbs. When you install them, polarity does matter so you might have to flip them 180 degrees if you put it back together and it doesn't work.

VONCE

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just looked - the courtesy light is a 1044 bulb.

sudsandbunz

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
New here. Im installing LED light strips soon too. Determining wire size (didnt see if this had already been posted) is basic math that anyone can google. Your LED kits should come with a Watts per foot or an overall total for the unit. Basic math can get you to the AMP load. Watts divided by voltage = amps. So 120 watts of led load divided by 12 volt supply power is 10 amp draw. Once that is determined, do a search for an AWG table (american wire guage). Its an adopted industry standard for matching wire size to amp loads. Find your wire size and its good to use at least one size bigger, if not two sizes bigger for your wire. Pay close attention to the LENGTH portion as low voltage loads (12v,24v etc) experience voltage drop quickly, and I watched a buddy undersize a set of foglight wires draped under his dash, and they glowed red hot till in melted all his wiring together LOL. And he was a fellow ELECTRICIAN!!! anyway, hope that helps.

This info obviously isnt for those of you that know what your doing on the thread. Just wanted to toss the info in here if it isnt already posted.