• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Carport/Cover for Boat HOA and City work around.

B0at1n

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looking for some suggestions on a solution to my current predicament.

I have a 20x40 Concrete slab on the side of my house that the previous owner put in prior to the city getting crazy on building permits.

The city will let me build a car port, however the car port must be 3ft from the property line, which the concrete slab goes all the way to.
Also, to build a car port, any supporting legs must be incased in Masonry (stone or brick)

A standard car port would be $1500-2000 adding the Masonry would multiply this cost.
also, I would loose 3 feet of the concrete space because I cant build it to the end of the slab.

My main purpose for building this is the Texas sun, taking the cover on and off multiple times a week is frustrating.

I would like to be able to store it in the shade so that the interior of the boat will be protected from sun.

I am thinking something similar to a pop up canopy, would just need to be a minimum 15 by 25 and 12 feet tall.

In the winter months I am okay with it not being covered since It will be used only maybe a few times a month.

below are pictures of the front and Aerial view of the area.

94601boat parking.jpg

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Is is possible to use an awning attached to the hose that can stretch out over the boat? Can you park the boat close to the house? A lot of restaurants have these powered (or hand crank) awnings here. Just thinking out loud.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
293a3cfb-3348-452b-a881-b0b6e397e045_1.d81801568128cd2df00435ec976266c1.jpeg.jpg

Shade sail?
I have one in my back yard it does great. I take mine down when not in use, for fear of the oklahoma wind. I also did not goes as deep on my footings ( 3 feet) as I could have or probably should have. I don't know if i would attach to a house without some serious structure attaching to it.

B0at1n

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is is possible to use an awning attached to the hose that can stretch out over the boat? Can you park the boat close to the house? A lot of restaurants have these powered (or hand crank) awnings here. Just thinking out loud.
I like this idea and thought about it. We will be headed out for a little bit today and when I come back will be trying to park on the opposite side close to the house to see how that works. I foresee little issue.

I’ll have to start doing some research to see where I can find one and what they cost.

B0at1n

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
View attachment 94604

Shade sail?
I have one in my back yard it does great. I take mine down when not in use, for fear of the oklahoma wind. I also did not goes as deep on my footings ( 3 feet) as I could have or probably should have. I don't know if i would attach to a house without some serious structure attaching to it.

I might be able to do something similar, would have to use the house though. And then put removable pillars on the outside of the concrete slab, it’s kind of a wind tunnel down the side of the house so not sure how stable it would be.

Last edited:

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I might be able to do something similar, would have to use the house though. And then put removable pillars on the outside of the concrete slab, it’s kind of a wind tunnel down the side of the house so not sure how stable it would be.
That would be my fear of a carport. Wind load would have to be super high. The sail has flex. Multiple mount points to the house would be ideal. I'm sure you could add extra grommets for more than 2 connections per side. The removable poles would be a great idea. I have a 20 x 20 sail in the back and used 4x4 wood. For a more permanent I might want to use steel.

B0at1n

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That would be my fear of a carport. Wind load would have to be super high. The sail has flex. Multiple mount points to the house would be ideal. I'm sure you could add extra grommets for more than 2 connections per side. The removable poles would be a great idea. I have a 20 x 20 sail in the back and used 4x4 wood. For a more permanent I might want to use steel.

My neighbors said I should just go buy one of these Carolina car ports and put it up. They don’t think the city will do anything.
Apparently they are supposedly going to do the same at some point.

Rascalrider

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Same kind of issue here! Lake community with HOA restrictions that limit my options because I probably can't afford what they want me to build. All I need is a carport they want a garage!

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Ugh all this reminds me of Germany 1933. There ought to be a law against HOA’s