• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Cat Certified 2008 212SS Weight on Trailer

DoubleThrust

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
4380lbs

A little over a half tank of fuel
Some towing tubes, 9 life jackets, a wake skate, jump pack, small bag of tools, one battery.
Nothing in floor storage

This was lighter than I was guessing even. Yes, I made sure they weighed with the tongue weight off the truck... it took 3 damn loops through the weigh station to get it right LOL.

What have others weighed out at?

Slightly off topic:

Unexpected conclusion: My V8 4Runner, rated at 7000lbs, feels about right for this boat. This lowers my "recommended" percentage of manufacturer tow weight you actually try to tow with. What do I mean by this? If you're a new boater (or potential new boater) and conclude "Yay!! I can tow a 21' Yamaha with my 5k rated crossover / Prius!" I advise exactly the opposite. I believe the takeaway should be "a truck based SUV with V8 is about right for a boat advertised as '3050 lbs dry' with an 1100lb trailer." Leave the 5k rated crossover for towing the jet skis. To further the point, my buddy has the same truck with a considerably heavier 21' Malibu wake boat, it's just over 6k on trailer. That 4Runner is not all that happy with it.

/off topic

Last edited:

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Alex, interesting read here. This information might be helpful to others.

73 for now

DoubleThrust

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Yeah, too bad these sub forums are so slow :)

73s

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I bet they pick up some speed over time. Our forum here is growing. I am glad you made it over.

By the way, how is the ham radio hobby treating you? Did you ever figure out a radio for your boating needs?

I am still considering adding a 2 meter radio in the boat that is capable of transmitting on marine frequencies in an emergency.

DoubleThrust

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Sadly I want through all the studying, got a perfect score, spec'd a vehicle based setup, and never got around to implementing it (time, money, and too many hobbies) LOL. When I find the time & money I'll be ready though haha. Like other things I don't do, part of the reason commonly ends up being that to do it right, I'd have to engage other projects first. For the 4Runner, I'd want to install a whole aux wiring setup first, and really do it right. Kind of like the boat and a bigger stereo and the reason that hasn't happened yet! That's ok though, I'm a do it once or don't do it kind of guy.

I did grab a hand held VHF for the boat for emergency use, haven't used it at all yet either though.

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
No worries man. I totally understand! I put stuff off all the time. There are all sorts of things I have put off doing to the boat.

If I can ever do anything to help you out, just let me know.