• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Cavitation help

ZXR07

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
i have been reading the forum for a few years and enjoy the amount of ‘knowledge shared here. With my first post I am looking for some help. I have a 2015 AR 220 and I started experiencing cavitation last year on my boat. Last year was my fourth summer on the water with it. The problem is worse on the left side, can’t take sharp turns either side, can’t get on plane with out hitting rev limiter. I need to feather the throttles when I take off, real issue with a tube.once on plane in a straight line it isn’t too bad. Top speed with two adults and three small kids is about 36 MPH on a good day. when I pulled the boat out of the water i inspected the impellers and housings, wear rings, no obvious issues there. The intake grate looks good also. I am looking for some advice before I go to far as the boat was almost unusable by the end of last year.

thanks for any help

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What about the silicone on the inside of the pump area, missing or loose can cause issues,
Did you check your impeller clearance?

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
When you say you inspected the impellers, did you disassemble them or just take a look? I had the same issue and couldn't see anything by eye, but just my disassembling and putting them back, the problem went away. I either couldn't see the debris and it fell out when removing the impeller or the impeller shaft was just not seated right somehow.

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Over the years I've seen 3 causes of severe cavitation, which is what you are experiencing. Something jamed in the impeller and wear ring. This could be small or large. Missing silicone around the intake grate and the inside of the impeller housing. Worn impellers. If you inspected 1 and 2 then it's probably worn impellers.

Another thing that could cause it that you did not mention in your initial post is the boat being over loaded. I've been out with a full boat and trying to tube and noticed cavitation but it goes away when you unload the boat.

ZXR07

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I took the housing off tonight to get a better look and measure the clearance. no chips or gouges in the impeller or wear ring. I measured .004” to .01” clearance from the impeller to the wear ring.

what should I look for on silicone? Obvious missing silicone? Should I pull the intake grates and reseal?

thanks

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length