• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Centering Steering Wheel

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
I checked mine using the method mentioned above. I clamped a 2x4 on the keel to make the jet nozzle straight. Then checked the wheel - it was perfectly lined up with the 12:00 position. Now, with that being said, it almost never points straight up when under power. A slight breeze or current in any direction will require me to turn the wheel slightly to keep the boat going straight. Sometimes the pull to make it go straight is stronger than other days. On the AR195, the lock-to-lock turn is only 3/4 of a full wheel rotation. So if you want a straight indicator for pulling a skier up - just look at the Yamaha logo in the center of the wheel. If a point on the tuning fork logo points, up, you are good to go. Or take a nod to the racing world, and put a stripe of red tap on the wheel at the 12:00 position. That's a visual indicator of wheel pointed straight.
The whole point here is that the wheel is not straight. When the nozzles and keel are straight the steering wheel is cockeyed - this is why we are re-aligning the steering wheel in the first place. When you are realigning the steering wheel you pick whatever makes sense for your wheel as a 12:00 indicator, whether it be a spoke, between two spokes, or the emblem.

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The whole point here is that the wheel is not straight. When the nozzles and keel are straight the steering wheel is cockeyed - this is why we are re-aligning the steering wheel in the first place. When you are realigning the steering wheel you pick whatever makes sense for your wheel as a 12:00 indicator, whether it be a spoke, between two spokes, or the emblem.
Gotcha. That makes sense to me now.