• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Challenging a credit card charge...whats the worst that could happen

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tige
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
So, so many lessons being learned. The short version: one of my top producing agents asked me to buy a set of very expensive, fast selling event tickets online for him. His assistant had the website up and ready to go. I questioned the charges, asked if he was ok, and then bought them.

So, he paid me, but it turns out the website is a very poorly rated online scalper/reseller and not the actual venue box office. So far though, they have not done anything they did not advertise upfront in very clear terms. The key is the fine print says all sales are final and your ticket will be available "x" date WAY into the future. He wanted them for an auction and didn't realize they would not be available for some time. Honestly, in the rush I didn't question that little detail either.

VISA has no input on the vendor, nor advice on what to do. I've online chatted with the vendor and they are a little shady and suspect, but not necessarily illegal. My guy is convinced now its a scam and wants me to challenge/stop the payment. I'm not sure what to do. In the end, he was desperate and in a hurry. Now he's cooled off, everything seems wrong. I'm not denying there are not red flags, but this is the most elaborate hoax in history if its a "scammer" and not just a crappy, unscrupulous appearing ticket re-seller that hasn't really done anything wrong...yet. And that is the key, YET.

I've read at least one person challenging this vendor via their credit card company, winning, and then just being recharged. That would be a pain in the ass.

Are there any other things I should be concerned about with my CC company if I file a dispute? ie-credit rating issues, etc.?

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
File a dispute say items have never been received and tell your credit card company to cancel that card number so it can't be recharged. That may work. I have filed disputes before but never for anything that I actually have been charged they have always been fraud claims so not 100% sure it will go down smooth but worth a shot.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
why don't you ask Moneypenny to take care it of it for you ?

on serious note. Placing a dispute will NOT impact your credit history. The issuer ( your credit card company) will most likely give you the credit right away while it is investigating your claim. If the vendor is found at fault ( which it sounds like it is not) then the credit stays on your account. If the vendor can provide proof that he/she is acting as agreed upon then you are SOL and the issuer remove the credit from your account ( aka "recharge" you).
From what you are describing the vendor is within contract, so I am afraid you dont have a case with your issuer ( CC company) .

The best bet in this case is to resolve it with the vendor directly.
The second best case is to claim this an authorized transaction. Although, morally wrong this will be the eassiest way to get your money back. Since this is an online transaction it will be hard for the vendor to prove that you authorized the transaction. I would not recomand this as it is a pain to go thought and technically you will be committing CC fraud.

Has you friend consider to auction the ticket as originaly planed and deliver the tickets prior to the event? At the end of the day the vendor will have to send you the tickets and you can always overnight them to the auction winner....

PS. if the tickets do not come on time for the even then you have a legit case to file a dispute and simply return the money raised to the person who won auction.

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tige
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks. We use that CC for a lot of online bill pay. My wife will have my nuts if we have to change the card number....

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks. We use that CC for a lot of online bill pay. My wife will have my nuts if we have to change the card number....
"I feel you" on that! LOL

--

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This doesn't sound like a scam to me, but sounds pretty normal. I have bought tickets for events way out in the future through Stubhub and Killer Seats.com and in the past if the show was big and was on sale really early before the event, then yes I had to wait for the tickets to be printed which took Months. I bought Zac Brown tickets this way, then Zac had an issue with Cocaine and cancelled the Dallas show, my money was refunded minus the fee.

Ilmmct

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@007 ... I feel and have been subjected to your pain. If the Seller advertised the product correctly and the terms of the sale/purchase were met by the Seller, you may have difficulty prevailing on this.

Can you have a good look at the "click-wrap" terms that came via email or popped-up when you accepted and confirmed the purchase?

I got snookered on 2017 US Open Tennis tickets and went through a lengthy payment dispute. You need to obtain the sale/purchase terms and see if the Seller violated terms of the sale or the marketplace terms if you used a site like StubHub. Not impossible to prevail but you need to inspect the varios terms and conditions for the transaction.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I've used disputes several times. If you have evidence, they will side with you every time.