• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Changing a Flat Tire

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length
Tried search didn't see it What kind a jack do you have/use when needing to change a flat on a trailer tire while on the road, and where do you store it?
I have a half circle (for not better term) jack that I used to use on my Jet Ski trailer. You would place it under/on the axle back up and and it would lift the trailer. Pretty sure it wont handle the weight of the boat.

Last edited:

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Your vehicle jack should be sufficient, but of course a floor jack is nicer. If you have a tandem axle trailer, these things work well by just running the other wheel up on it, which raises the flat tire off ground.

Homeon Wheels Camper Leveler One Curved Levelers One Blocks One Non-Slip Mats One T Level for Trailers Campers, 35,000 lb Heavy Duty Leveler Tire Chocks for RV Camper Trailer Truck Motorhome (1 Pack) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0834K25PN/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_GK8HASQPBC3A99XV4YC0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
18” long 6x6 with an angle cut on one end. Loosen lugs, pull good tire onto it to raise the flat. Similar to what @dgfreeze posted

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I caught a notorious rock wall with my trailer at the park check in shack once. I got distracted because I had just read a sign that the ramp was closed! Whaaaat? Pulled forward thinking “oh no, now what”. THUTHUMP! The front tire/rim took a beating but didn’t blow. Headed slowly to the next closest ramp, put the boat in and then just backed the rear wheel onto a concrete parking space stop after breaking the torque on the bad wheel, changed for the spare and boated on. Then I got to upgrade to alloy rims!

Tjw961

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Did this and use all the time to raise my boat up just a little more by placing under the jack as I trailer everywhere. Adds just a little more angle for keeping the nose up.

Acard7

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The wife had this for her tandem axle horse trailer, before we met anyways. She said it was a life saver when she had a flat one time. And it’ll work well for a tandem axle boat trailer too. EDIT: 15,000# capacity limit if anyone was wondering.

7B2F12C5-7BBD-430C-983F-C4EE6CA15EF0.jpeg

Last edited:

Berrie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Monterey
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I use a 12t bottle jack from Harbor Freight for my triple axle with a 10,700lbs dry weight boat on it.
Put it under the axle underneath the trailer frame, lifts it up with no problem.

four_the_kids

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
all these jacks and ramps etc are great ideas. But what is wrong with the jack that comes with your tow vehicle? I lost air on our tandem trailer on a 1700m run, and used the bottle jack that is packed with my Sierra. Worked just fine, and for as few times as I may ever need to pull it out, why carry anything else? And I am for sure not going to fill my boat with tools that I "may" use for the trailer once every 5-10 years.

Long story short, test the jack and tire iron in your driveway. If the iron fits the lugs nuts, you have all you need for that rare event.

Berrie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Monterey
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
all these jacks and ramps etc are great ideas. But what is wrong with the jack that comes with your tow vehicle? I lost air on our tandem trailer on a 1700m run, and used the bottle jack that is packed with my Sierra. Worked just fine, and for as few times as I may ever need to pull it out, why carry anything else? And I am for sure not going to fill my boat with tools that I "may" use for the trailer once every 5-10 years.

Long story short, test the jack and tire iron in your driveway. If the iron fits the lugs nuts, you have all you need for that rare event.
My boat + trailer weighs 13,000lbs. The jack that came with my truck cannot lift anything near that.

Berrie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Monterey
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I hope your not lifting the entire vehicle with 1 jack🤔
I am not. But it is safe to assume that lifting one side of the trailer puts at least 5,000lbs on the jack, and the truck jack is only a 2.5t jack, so right on the edge. When I have my fingers under a 13,000lbs weight, I want some spare capacity, and not rely on a jack that is maxed out. Even with the safety supports I use, I wouldn't trust a jack at it's max capacity.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I am not. But it is safe to assume that lifting one side of the trailer puts at least 5,000lbs on the jack, and the truck jack is only a 2.5t jack, so right on the edge. When I have my fingers under a 13,000lbs weight, I want some spare capacity, and not rely on a jack that is maxed out. Even with the safety supports I use, I wouldn't trust a jack at it's max capacity.
Well, that’s an interesting comment in a forum for jetboaters. Since most of the members here own a boat that weighs less then half of your boat. In fact, if you are towing a 13,000lb boat, my guess is your tow vehicle is packed with a jack that can lift the fraction of it safely. Otherwise, you are in trouble with your tow vehicle. Keep in mind, only the stupid tow a boat with a Prius.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
1621912379412.jpeg
1621912313828.jpeg

Attachments

Berrie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Monterey
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Well, that’s an interesting comment in a forum for jetboaters. Since most of the members here own a boat that weighs less then half of your boat. In fact, if you are towing a 13,000lb boat, my guess is your tow vehicle is packed with a jack that can lift the fraction of it safely. Otherwise, you are in trouble with your tow vehicle. Keep in mind, only the stupid tow a boat with a Prius.
Your childish name-calling effort does not bother me. It does expose you are ill-informed.
So here’s for your education: Heavy duty trucks weigh a fraction of what they can tow, and their jacks are rated for one corner of the truck, not for what they can tow.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Your childish name-calling effort does not bother me. It does expose you are ill-informed.
So here’s for your education: Heavy duty trucks weigh a fraction of what they can tow, and their jacks are rated for one corner of the truck, not for what they can tow.
What part of that was name calling, and what part of it was pointed at you? Sort of sensitive for such a big boat owner.

The point was, unless you are towing with a prius, is that the jack's capacity does not have to equate to the weight of the boat. You said it yourself. My truck weighs around 6000lbs and the jack is designed to lift whatever portion of that weight is on one corner. My boat weighs less than that wet with trailer and is on two axles. What part of that is out of capacity?

And since most of the folks on this board own a sub 28' jetboat, it's safe to say that the bottle jack in a light duty truck is going to be more than adequate (unless they tow with a prius) So as mentioned, what were you really offended about? Our statements are correct right? If you have a 5000lb or 13000lb boat, how much capacity do you need to change a tire? Can you share that math with the group, as you seem to know the answer. How many lbs should that jack be rated for. And on that same point, what is the capacity of my bottle jack in lbs? I think you know the answer, at least that is what you said.

Just curious, as you pointed out name calling, yet I see no names being called. Just pointing out facts. Again, unless you tow with a prius.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I carry my shops 3ton floor jack with me when going on long trips just due to the fact that I have it, easier access while on the road than the OE jack and it's faster. One thing to think about is when jacking even one corner of a diesel powered pickup a OE jack like this will do the trick. When jacking the boat up your not lifting 1/2 the boat/trailer weight, especially if it's a tandem or triple axle trailer, you are lifting a fraction of the weight. When you jack it from the axle, the second axle still has weight on it plus the weight on the tongue of the trailer coupled to the truck. Now if your pulling a 20k loaded trailer then yes, your going to need more than the OE jack but for almost everyone of the boats on this forum the OE jack would work.
Edit - The jack below is rated at 4,000lbs

1621958723763.png

Last edited: