• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Channel navigation clarification

RightStuff

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I looked around for some clarification on this to get an 'official' answer, but couldn't find what I was looking for (checked local boating rules and Coast Guard inland water navigation). So I hope someone here can help answer my question. I know there is a lot of common sense/courtesy at play here too, so that's why I was looking to see what the rules are in this situation.

When approaching a set of red/green channel buoys that do not have a minimum/no wake buoy at the entrance, what speed should you take thru the channel?

Also if a boat is going slow in a channel like that, is it legal to pass when in the channel (if safe to do so)?

Very grey area here a lot more info needed to give a real good answer. Here I go anyway lol. If there is no signs to slow down then there is no real law saying what speed to enter this channel but size of the channel and if it's a blind turn common sense would tell you to slow down. As for passing yes you can pass the only coast guard rule on this would be to signal you pass with a specific horn sound to let them know which side you intend to pass on.

When approaching the bouys are you coming from outside a marked channel? Most channels are marked for speed at some point, local knowledge is key! I often think that the USCG should simplify the navigable waters in this country by using signage that my 4 year old could follow..... but no, let's post funny two colored triangles (channel intersection) and round black signs because those make sense! Ok... I'm off my soapbox.

You should use slow speed entering and exiting a marked channel. Slow speed should be maintained outside of a marked channel.

As for passing, you may pass as long as it is safe for you, the vessel being passed and oncoming traffic. If possible, pass on the port side of the vessel you are passing (sport to port).
Be aware that you are responsible for your wake. That means don't send a big roller at a sailboat or a small vessel or a vessel with standing fishermen, etc. Our boats don't make that big of a wake but when I run larger craft I will run dead straight at the slow moving boat I'm going to pass. 30-50 yards behind them I'll pull back the throttles until I settle into the water and steer past them. Doing so splits the large wake behind me and never touches the vessel I'm overtaking.

What are we defining as a channel? The entire Mississippi river is marked with channel buoys. Only the areas with no-wake buoys require slow speed. Outside no-wake zones, you can pass other boats at full speed with no issue.

I was thinking the same thing, but didn't know if I was missing anything, rules-wise. Thanks all for clarifying, would be nice to have some more specific rules from the governing bodies out there. Like you said @Murf'n'surf it really doesn't need to be this complicated...

Yeah, I should have specified. The channels I'm asking about are the ones in the middle of a lake (not under bridges, etc), usually 4-5 buoys long so pretty short distance overall, maybe 200 yards or so.

Are you referring to the one on Lake Minnetonka right outside the Yamaha Dealer? I questioned that myself. I was wondering if someone maybe ran the no-wake buoy over and sunk it last year, but there isn't one there this year either.

Yeah, there are a few on Tonka that are like what I was referring to. There is one in Wayzata Bay by Cedar Point, one on the Big Island side of the main channel, another over by Spring Park Bay, etc.

With as restrictive as the water patrol is on that lake, you would think they would have more specific rules around these channels. But I couldn't find anything official so I have always treated them as a channel that doesn't require no-wake speeds and just went thru at a "safe speed". Just was really questioning the legality of passing while in the channel buoys for boats that were going thru at no-wake speeds for whatever reason.

Back