• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Chaparral 243 Vortex - First Service

Kparis14

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Has anyone on the board done the first service on their boat? I have 26 hours and need to do the first oil change.

My boat is a 2015 with the twin 250 Rotax engines.

Was quoted an obscene amount by dealer. I just ordered an oil extractor from Amazon, plan to pick up 2 Seadoo oil change kits at local dealer (oil, filters and new O rings) and do the service myself.

I found a great video online that walks you through the entire process.

Has anyone done this?? Just curious.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I've done it on my (old) Seadoo with the twin 215's. Make sure you have an inverted torx socket for the oil filters. Otherwise, very easy and straightforward.

Kparis14

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Thank you- any idea what size Torx socket?

Vandyman

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
you can change the oil and filters fairly easily, but I believe the computer will need to be reset as it is based on hours. I finally let a dealer do it... cost me about $300 as I recall for both engines. If it is your first service they also check hoses and such to make sure all is still tight. Regardless of who changes the oil, make sure to not overfill, and do not use full synthetic. I may invest in the CandooPro as I also have a pair of Seadoo jet skis that I do service myself.

Kparis14

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Thank you. I was told the dealer would need to reset the computer. Problem is I don't have anyone close by. My dealer offered to reset it next time they're in the area

I plan to change the oil on my own. A local shop quoted $1000 for two engines which is obscene.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank you. I was told the dealer would need to reset the computer. Problem is I don't have anyone close by. My dealer offered to reset it next time they're in the area

I plan to change the oil on my own. A local shop quoted $1000 for two engines which is obscene.
That is obscene. I thought Yamaha was expensive at $400 (200 per engine)...

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Inverted torx. I wanna say E8 or E10, but don't quote me on that.

Vandyman

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length

That is insane!! Is there a Seadoo dealership nearby? I found a local non-Chap boat dealer but they sell Seadoo jet skis and was able to reset the computer codes. My VRX was the first they serviced but think they have since seen another.

Kparis14

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Thanks, I have a plan. My local seadoo dealer is where I'm getting my oil change supplies. I will inquire about them reseting the computer for me (requires them coming out to my marina). If not, the dealer where I bought my boat has offered to swing by when he is in the area to reset it for me- incredible service!!!

BobJohnson

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
torx 10 for the oil filter. whole process is very simple. I did my 2 engines in the spring and the only issue I had was trying to tell when I had the right amount of oil in. Idea is to put in what comes out. Measure on dip. Run engine to distribute oil through filter, measure again. But, that oil is so light in color it was tough to see where the oil was hitting the stick. I knew I was in the ball park and after running the engines a little more, the oil darkened enough to see I was OK. grand is crazy for 2 oil changes.

blackhawkpilot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I bought mine with 23 hours on it and the first service was already done. What are the service intervals? I can't find them anywhere. Once again...the owner's manual is SEVERELY lacking.

Kparis14

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
This forum is so awesome- power of information sharing. Thank you all for the great comments and guidance. I just purchased 2 (I have dual engines) oil change kits (1 gallon of oil, filter and O-rings) for $65 each from local Seadoo dealership. I ordered the oil extractor from Amazon for $50 so all in my parts were: $180. I watched an excellent step by step video and will tackle this on Saturday morning at my marina.

Update on Service Cost-
I did want to clarify the dealer who quoted me $950 for the 2 engine oil change change had an typo/error in their estimate. The new total is in about $200 less which is still way too expensive for me.

Open Question-
Once the oil changes are done has anyone found a manual way to reset the computer? If not, I can swing by local Scarab dealer (also rotax engines) and have them hook up their computer to reset the engines for me.

Kparis14

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Did my first oil change today on my Vortex with 27 hours. The first engine took me a little longer as I was getting use to process. The second engine was done in half the time. All in 2 hours. This was so simple- that I will always change my own oil from now on. Now just need to have my computer reset to eliminate the Maintenance warning on the screen.

Feedback- I wish our dipsticks showed the oil level a bit more. I found it difficult to spot the level with new (clean/clear) oil. Oh well.....

Bryan mazanec

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I paid 475 for my first 10 hour service. They came to my marina and the mechanic is BRP certified.

Bryan mazanec

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I bought mine with 23 hours on it and the first service was already done. What are the service intervals? I can't find them anywhere. Once again...the owner's manual is SEVERELY lacking.
My mechanic said 10 hours and then again at 50 and every 50 after or every season

Yan Masse

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
This forum is so awesome- power of information sharing. Thank you all for the great comments and guidance. I just purchased 2 (I have dual engines) oil change kits (1 gallon of oil, filter and O-rings) for $65 each from local Seadoo dealership. I ordered the oil extractor from Amazon for $50 so all in my parts were: $180. I watched an excellent step by step video and will tackle this on Saturday morning at my marina.

Update on Service Cost-
I did want to clarify the dealer who quoted me $950 for the 2 engine oil change change had an typo/error in their estimate. The new total is in about $200 less which is still way too expensive for me.

Open Question-
Once the oil changes are done has anyone found a manual way to reset the computer? If not, I can swing by local Scarab dealer (also rotax engines) and have them hook up their computer to reset the engines for me.
You can try Candoo Pro to
reset the computer.

For the price, on my scarab it was 200$ at the dealer for a single 250 SC

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Wow, I thought only my local YAmaha dealer gouged customers for performing the first service (primarily an oil and filter change) on their boats, $800 last time this came up about 2 or 3 years ago now. Way to expensive for me.

I hope you all find a way to a manually reset your maintenance warning lights. @Scarabtech and / or @ScarabMike may have some insight here in that I recall reading one of their posts which described how to reset a warning light on a scarab jet boat with brp engines.

Just curious, why do you need an inverted torx socket for the oil filters? Are they held in place with a supplemental screw or bracket?

Last edited:

Jeff Cox

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Just had my 25 hour service from my dealer. 299.99. Boat came back with every connection lubricated, tower, everything on trailer etc...I felt price very fair for 223 with twin 250's.

blackhawkpilot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
My mechanic said 10 hours and then again at 50 and every 50 after or every season
Interesting. My dealer said my next service isn't due until 120 hours. Also...I picked it up on Saturday after getting the O2 sensor replaced and a new steering cable. The dealer cleared the P0113A code, but I now have a "Check Engine" (starboard) fault and "Maintenance Required" on both engines. Frustrating as my dealer is 2 hours away. I may take it to a different place next time.

Bryan mazanec

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Interesting. My dealer said my next service isn't due until 120 hours. Also...I picked it up on Saturday after getting the O2 sensor replaced and a new steering cable. The dealer cleared the P0113A code, but I now have a "Check Engine" (starboard) fault and "Maintenance Required" on both engines. Frustrating as my dealer is 2 hours away. I may take it to a different place next time.
How many hours are on your engines?