• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Chaparral Boats

ryanfromokc

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Hello,

I really enjoy this forum and find it very helpful.
I have money down and have been waiting on the SX195 like everyone else since January. I can't get any updates and my large dealer has no information, has no idea, etc until a shipping truck arrives.

I had the opportunity to put money down last night on a 2021 Chaparral 21 SSI with all the options and upgrades I wanted. It's currently in production and will be delivered in about 10 days. Chaparral updates dealers and they can see each boat in process. WOW! Imagine that process and system.

The 21 SSI is a larger boat, more expensive, etc than the SX195 but my family was thinking if the SX195 doesn't come, we might upgrade to the bigger chaparral that I think is made better, has a Mercuriser 250 stern drive, has huge digital display,?, etc for another about $9,000 more. Chaparral is a one price, build what you want and I don't think they are up charging for the pandemic or the shortage so it might hold it's price better?

Anyone have any thoughts, any info on the 2021 Chaparral 21 SSI's?

Right now I have money down on both, just waiting to see which comes in and which we like best. If we don't like either we can punt until next year.

Anyone had a Chaparral before?

Ryan

I looked at the Chaparral, and a couple others, right before I bought the AR210 I have now. I liked the boat a lot, the only reason I made the decision to go with Yamaha was the Jets (2 of them for redundancy and No Prop) and the swim platform. We are watersports and swimming type people, with kids. Most of our time is getting on and off the boat, changing riders and hanging out on the platform enjoying the water. If we were just cruisers it wouldn't have mattered so much. Also the cockpit felt a bit smaller on the Chaparral. Still a very nice boat.

If you want my opinion, if it was me and I wanted a larger boat than the 19' and it is not a deal breaker if it doesn't comes right away and I had a family with kids, I would get in line for a 2022 Yamaha 21' footer which may not be in this summer but which would be solid for you when it does come in and no thinking about an upgrade in the near future. IMHO

Last edited:
I looked at the Chaparral, and a couple others, right before I bought the AR210 I have now. I liked the boat a lot, the only reason I made the decision to go with Yamaha was the Jets (2 of them for redundancy and No Prop) and the swim platform. We are watersports and swimming type people, with kids. Most of our time is getting on and off the boat, changing riders and hanging out on the platform enjoying the water. If we were just cruisers it wouldn't have mattered so much. Also the cockpit felt a bit smaller on the Chaparral. Still a very nice boat.

If you want my opinion, if it was me and I wanted a larger boat than the 19' and it is not a deal breaker if it doesn't comes right away and I had a family with kids, I would get in line for a 2022 Yamaha 21' footer which may not be in this summer but which would be solid for you when it does come in and no thinking about an upgrade in the near future. IMHO
Thanks for the info. I appreciate you thoughts as always.

Hello,

I really enjoy this forum and find it very helpful.
I have money down and have been waiting on the SX195 like everyone else since January. I can't get any updates and my large dealer has no information, has no idea, etc until a shipping truck arrives.

I had the opportunity to put money down last night on a 2021 Chaparral 21 SSI with all the options and upgrades I wanted. It's currently in production and will be delivered in about 10 days. Chaparral updates dealers and they can see each boat in process. WOW! Imagine that process and system.

The 21 SSI is a larger boat, more expensive, etc than the SX195 but my family was thinking if the SX195 doesn't come, we might upgrade to the bigger chaparral that I think is made better, has a Mercuriser 250 stern drive, has huge digital display,?, etc for another about $9,000 more. Chaparral is a one price, build what you want and I don't think they are up charging for the pandemic or the shortage so it might hold it's price better?

Anyone have any thoughts, any info on the 2021 Chaparral 21 SSI's?

Right now I have money down on both, just waiting to see which comes in and which we like best. If we don't like either we can punt until next year.

Anyone had a Chaparral before?

Ryan

My brother had one he bought in 2008 ish and just traded it this year. Very well made boats - had the Volvo Penta dual prop I/O. This year he upgraded to their "surf" version with the reverse I/O - wave is as weak as the stock Yamaha "surf" boats, but it'll be interesting to see what some ballast will do. It's cool that you can trim your surf boat to impact angle of attack - not sure how that'll play into wave creation or not.

Overall they're high quality boats that last!

Yamaha quality is not very good. I advise to go for Chapparal

I’ve owned a chaparral stern drive for over 20 years and the boat still runs well. Excellent fit and finish, better than Yamaha IMO.

When I bought my 212X in 2017, I seriously considered and even tested the 223VRX. It was a tough decision but I ended up going with the Yamaha for several reasons; all in price which was a little cheaper, clean out ports, Yamaha’s engines, better swim platform.

That being said, I don’t think you can go wrong with either one. I do much prefer the jets over the stern drives, mainly from a safety and ease of maintenance perspective.

Everyone has their own priorities, so what we like you may not. Having said that, we looked at several boat makes and models when we searched for a new boat. Chaparral was high on our list along with Four Winns, and several others. After we water tested a jetboat and saw the drive system and realized the safety, lighter weight, low maintenance, high performance, roomier design, etc., we only wanted a jet. That narrowed it down and after looking at Vortex, Glastron, Scarab and Yamaha, we bought the Yamaha for the reliable engines, swim platform, and interior layout. It ticked all the boxes for us and we're very happy with the boat.

In yamaha boat the only reliable thing is the engine, but nothing else. Steering, shift cables, hool, electronics in sea conditions leave only one or two years. Huge problebs after 140 hours with all that.

Back