• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Chaparral VRX 223 vs Yamaha 212s or x

allamerican149

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Good Morning Everyone! So we are planning on purchasing a boat soon and have it narrowed down between a Yamaha 212 limited s or x and a Chaparral VRX223. I think both of these boats will be perfect for us to use on the Intracoastal Waterway here in the Wilmington North Carolina area. I would like to hear everyone's thoughts on the two models and which you feel is the better option. The boat we purchase will probably be a 2017 or newer depending on the price. Thank you for all your input in advance!

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Personally, I prefer the Vortex layout. One issue for some boat owners is finding a shop to service the Vortex (Rotax) engines. If you go with the Chap, make sure you can get it serviced in whatever is a reasonable drive for you. there is a private Facebook page for Chaparral Vortex owners that you can also join.

Jim

allamerican149

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Personally, I prefer the Vortex layout. One issue for some boat owners is finding a shop to service the Vortex (Rotax) engines. If you go with the Chap, make sure you can get it serviced in whatever is a reasonable drive for you. there is a private Facebook page for Chaparral Vortex owners that you can also join.

Jim
Thanks for the info Jim! I am looking into that now actually. Since chaparral has the same engines as seadoo I'm hoping the shop here will work on them.

zpaul

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Thanks for the info Jim! I am looking into that now actually. Since chaparral has the same engines as seadoo I'm hoping the shop here will work on them.
Some sea-doo dealers refuse to service Chaparral as well. So make sure they do and don't change their mind later.

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have considered both as possible upgrade options. I like the hull and design of the VRX better as well as more/higher horsepower options than the Yamaha. The downside is support. It seems more “digital” to me than some of the earlier Yamaha 21 footers and there has been a lot of talk around dealers wanting/choosing to avoid supporting the boats despite commonality with the skis. If you are not afraid to get technically deep DIY style, the VRX is a cool niche boat. If you want broader support options and a little more simplicity (in most cases) the Yamaha is a safer bet. Lastly, I don’t know how prevalent weeds are up that far on the intercostal; but the cleanout ports on the Yamaha are definitely a plus if they are a common condition.

Dave burke

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Agree with everything that’s been said. When I bought my 212X in 2017 I seriously considered the 223 VRX. I tested it as well. I liked the fit and finish better than the Yamaha and the performance was similar depending on which engine options you chose.

Ultimately I went with the 212x because I liked the Yamaha all-in pricing (chaparral nickels and dimes on the options), the swim platform, clean out ports and the fact that the engines were also made by Yamaha, not a third party.

I don’t regret my decision at all but still believe that the Chaps fit and finish is better.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I was in this same, exact situation. I had the Yamaha SX-192 (for 3 years) and was looking to upgrade to the 212. While shopping, I came across the 223VRX and fell in love with the design. Everything that "bugged" me about the 192 was corrected in the 223 in regards to the layout and the fact I didn't have to step over the back seat to get in. I also liked the quality of the 223. It felt more sturdy and solid. Also like the fact there was hardly any wood anywhere. I picked up a 2017 223VRX with twin 250s and have no regrets. This thing is very quick and very fast. Love the electronics and being able to dial in "true neutral". Cool stuff...

With all that said, if you're comfortable working on engines and don't mind getting your hands dirty trust me, you'll be happier with the 223VRX. It also pays to have a dealer within a few hours of your home just in-case. If not, I'd go with the Yamaha. There are a ton more dealerships that can support your boat and all your boating needs. And, since they're still in business, they're coming out with very cool stuff that make them better and better.

Any SeaDoo dealership could work on the engines, as they are the same, but may choose not too. But, you can always get parts from them (as I do).

One other thing, my 223 came out towards the end of 2017 and I got the "maintenance free" superchargers. An easy way to tell are the cats are black and not grey.

Weeds?!? I live in the Tampa Bay Fl. area. Certain times of the year, they can be challenging. On the Yami, they were a nightmare. The drain plug is most definitely required. The Chap has a patented drive system (shaft inside of a tube) that "almost" eliminates this problem. I've only had couple instances, where I could not get up on plane and had to putt home.

Finally, the engines have it's own cooling system, similar to your car. This means (salt) water from the outside never comes in contact with the engine. The outside water is used to cool the exhaust manifolds and that's it. "Flushing" (after salt water use) still takes place but only to rinse the exhaust; not the motors.

Good luck in your decision. Boating creates some of the best memories I have. Looking forward to making more...:winkingthumbsup"

allamerican149

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I appreciate all the information. It's still a toss up for me, however if we were to go the chaparral route I would like to find one that is a 2017 or newer to avoid the supercharger rebuild. I found a place locally that would work on them however his reviews don't seem to be the greatest. Hopefully we will make a decision in the next couple weeks!

EJG5150

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 ID
Boat Length
Good Morning Everyone! So we are planning on purchasing a boat soon and have it narrowed down between a Yamaha 212 limited s or x and a Chaparral VRX223. I think both of these boats will be perfect for us to use on the Intracoastal Waterway here in the Wilmington North Carolina area. I would like to hear everyone's thoughts on the two models and which you feel is the better option. The boat we purchase will probably be a 2017 or newer depending on the price. Thank you for all your input in advance!
I researched the Vortex 2 years ago up and down and was sold on it. Then the dealer told me in 2021 done making them .I almost had to start over with my research. So I went with the Scarab 255 ID, close to the same boat , “local” dealer I actually bought my last boat from. I really like the boat a lot . Good luck with whatever you get.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
@allamerican149 We liked Chaparral boats too and we looked very closely at them for a couple years before deciding to go jet and Yamaha.

Sadly after they dumped the jet variants without any kind of service or backing, I wouldn't recommend anyone touch them. And again sadly that is Chaparral and BRP's fault for not telling BRP dealers to pick up the slack. I believe the entire drivetrain including throttles and steering are all BRP or common sourced so the only thing they might not be able fix are parts that are Chaparral specific like hulls, graphics, etc. Even things like towers, seats, and windshields are all common suppliers.

This is the kind of poor customer service that would sour me on a Chaparral of any kind. If they dump one, what's to stop them from dumping another or dumping Chaparral altogether since they're now owned by an investment fund, not boat builders.
😒

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I appreciate all the information. It's still a toss up for me, however if we were to go the chaparral route I would like to find one that is a 2017 or newer to avoid the supercharger rebuild. I found a place locally that would work on them however his reviews don't seem to be the greatest. Hopefully we will make a decision in the next couple weeks!
One thing that is not clear to me is the lifespan of the newer superchargers? With the Rotax switch to the newer supercharger they no longer recommended 200 hour rebuilds. Does this mean the new supercharger will last the lifetime of the engine (say maybe 1000 hours?) or will have to be replaced at some hour interval with a new supercharger?

Jim

allamerican149

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Update: We found an amazing deal on a 2017 yamaha 212 limited S with only 14.5 hours on the engines and pulled the trigger. We will be heading to Jersey to pick up the boat next weekend! Can't wait to get it home!

EJG5150

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 ID
Boat Length
One thing that is not clear to me is the lifespan of the newer superchargers? With the Rotax switch to the newer supercharger they no longer recommended 200 hour rebuilds. Does this mean the new supercharger will last the lifetime of the engine (say maybe 1000 hours?) or will have to be replaced at some hour interval with a new supercharger?

Jim
When I researched and bought my 2022 scarab, I was told and also read on my own research , they are considered “ maintenance free”. Now nothing is maintenance free obviously, but they have come a long way.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Update: We found an amazing deal on a 2017 yamaha 212 limited S with only 14.5 hours on the engines and pulled the trigger. We will be heading to Jersey to pick up the boat next weekend! Can't wait to get it home!
BE CAUTIOUS! Make sure you can water test it before you hand over the money...a 6 year old boat with only 14.5 hours is suspiciously low hours. Go over every inch of it carefully. Take a flashlight to look inside the bilge, engine, and other compartments and look for any signs of water damage, rust, cracks, or signs of abuse. Check battery condition, they should read over 12.5v. Anything less and they probably haven't been maintained and will need to be replaced. Check for signs of saltwater use and look at the intakes, pump, impellers, and anodes for signs of corrosion and neglect.

We put 12 hours on our new boat within the first two weekends and took it in for it's first service two weeks after we bought it. By the third weekend we had over 20 hours on it. Obviously we used it a lot the first summer since it was brand new, but we average 40 hours a year and currently have 169 on it by the end of the third season. Even if all you do is float on it every weekend, you still get out and drive a bit to get to your floating or fishing spot. I don't know anyone who bought a new boat and then never drove it for 6 years.

Last edited:

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
When I researched and bought my 2022 scarab, I was told and also read on my own research , they are considered “ maintenance free”. Now nothing is maintenance free obviously, but they have come a long way.
I think the biggest issue is clutch wear. Adding a blow-off valve helps release pressure in the intake when cutting the throttle and reduces clutch wear.

allamerican149

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
BE CAUTIOUS! Make sure you can water test it before you hand over the money...a 6 year old boat with only 14.5 hours is suspiciously low hours. Go over every inch of it carefully. Take a flashlight to look inside the bilge, engine, and other compartments and look for any signs of water damage, rust, cracks, or signs of abuse. Check battery condition, they should read over 12.5v. Anything less and they probably haven't been maintained and will need to be replaced. Check for signs of saltwater use and look at the intakes, pump, impellers, and anodes for signs of corrosion and neglect.

We put 12 hours on our new boat within the first two weekends and took it in for it's first service two weeks after we bought it. By the third weekend we had over 20 hours on it. Obviously we used it a lot the first summer since it was brand new, but we average 40 hours a year and currently have 169 on it by the end of the third season. Even if all you do is float on it every weekend, you still get out and drive a bit to get to your floating or fishing spot. I don't know anyone who bought a new boat and then never drove it for 6 years.
we had a surveyor go out and inspect the boat and provide us with a report. He was extremely diligent and let us know what all would need to be done (not much at all) and was happy to report that the boat was in very very good condition.