• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Charging battery while camping

96Pirate

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I will be taking the boat camping with us this weekend. The plan is to leave it in the water nestled in a nice little cove just off our campsite.

I am looking for options in charging the battery after each daily use. How do you charge your battery(s)? I will not be able to run power to it and cannot remove the battery since the bilge will need to be left on.

Single battery setup. Stock stereo and battery still holds a pretty good charge after daily use.

I have tossed around just getting a new battery if I am not able to recharge it. Will a new 24 class last 3 days of operation without a recharge.

Will a jump pack that recharges work?

Looking for options.

Thanks

Maybe I'm wrong but I wouldn't think you'd need to charge it if you are running the boat during the day.
Unless you are using the radio at night or something.

buy a second battery, just keep it and the tools necessary to swap it out if needed on board.. when you get the money use it to set up a 2 battery system.. $100 for a battery is cheap insurance.

I like the idea of adding a second battery and a dual battery switch. This way you know that you always have a fully charged battery in reserve if the bilge pump is unexpectedly active during the evening.
Other than that you should not have a discharge problem with a single good condition battery unless you are running the radio at rest or have excessive use of pumps without a recharge period. The charging system is designed to keep up with all standard boat electronics and keep the battery topped off as long as the boat is running. However, the charging system is not large enough to maintain all boat operations and quickly recover from a serious discharge deficit.

Maybe I'm wrong but I wouldn't think you'd need to charge it if you are running the boat during the day.
Unless you are using the radio at night or something.
No...will just be using when we are boating.

buy a second battery, just keep it and the tools necessary to swap it out if needed on board.. when you get the money use it to set up a 2 battery system.. $100 for a battery is cheap insurance.
That was the other option I was thinking of but forgot to list here. I will just need to wedge the new battery somewhere tight so it doesn't roll over. Not ready to commit mounting a tray yet.

I like the idea of adding a second battery and a dual battery switch. This way you know that you always have a fully charged battery in reserve if the bilge pump is unexpectedly active during the evening.
Other than that you should not have a discharge problem with a single good condition battery unless you are running the radio at rest or have excessive use of pumps without a recharge period. The charging system is designed to keep up with all standard boat electronics and keep the battery topped off as long as the boat is running. However, the charging system is not large enough to maintain all boat operations and quickly recover from a serious discharge deficit.
I didn't think the system recharged the batteries that well, so thanks for the correction. I do plan to install a 2nd battery and switch so buying the new battery would be the 1st step in that direction.

So, it looks like I will buy a new one to have as a reserve if needed this weekend. So here is a followup question. I had always thought I would use the current battery as the house battery and the new battery would be the starter battery. Would it be better to buy a starter battery or a deep cycle? I have $50 ready to spend at advanced auto. Any issues with there autocraft brand batteries?

Thanks everyone!

Go with the deep cycle or at minimum a dual purpose. A deep cycle is infinitely more forgiving of a few unintentional deep discharges and has considerably more reserve time.
With such small displacement motors and a warm weather sport, I can't imagine you would ever see a benefit from the added cranking amps of a dedicated starting battery.

I have no direct experience with Autocraft batteries. I'm don't necessarily trust specs when comparing brand to brand. Some get a little liberal. But weight is generally the great equalizer. If they claim wild performance advantages in the same size battery and weigh less then it just isn't so. Lead is heavy. And more weight usually translates to greater performance.

I've been at Lake Powell, with the boat in the water for 7 days, and never had a problem with only having a single battery. But we don't use the radio much without the boat running, and at Lake Powell, the boat is normally running about 5-8 hours every day - so I guess that recharges it pretty well each day. Of course, the bilge pump was left on 24/7 for the 7 days.

I did take a "portable battery backup" I got at Costco for ~$70. Provides peace of mind that if there was a problem, I could jump start the boat. Never had to use it though, for my own boat. I do keep it in the boat almost all summer long, even for day trips. I've used it to jump other people's boats, but never had to use it for myself. I also use it regularly to blow up the tube - I'll leave the tube and the battery backup (with the tube's air pump that plugs into the built-in 12v adapter on the booster) on the beach or dock, and have my son fill the tube up while I am out taking people skiing.

The kids don't like me leaving it in the boat, however, because they use it regularly to top of their bike tires - from the built in air compressor.

Ok, thanks guys! I will go with a deep cycle 24 series and give Autocraft a shot. I need to use up the $50 soon so might as well do that. I will let you know what I think.

Back