• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Charleston Boating Help

Rushfan67

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
222S
Boat Length
Hey everyone, I am looking for help from those that currently and have in the past boated in the Charleston area. As many of you know my wife and I just moved here from Orlando for my job. I travel from Savannah to North Myrtle Beach for my job and meet new people (customers) everyday and all have an opinion on boating when I talk to them or ask them for advice. So I wanted to get all of your thoughts on the different opinions I am getting.

1) Everytime I am asked what kind of boat I have and I say Yamaha Jet they look at me like I am crazy and say “ well you won’t have that long down here, jet boats are no good here” When I ask why, all they can tell me is that you need an Outboard to handle the waters here and your going to suck up a ton of stuff in the jet. I have to let them know that Yamaha has a clean out for just that issue.

2) For those of you that know Charleston, I live in West Ashley and would like to use the W.O. Thomas landing near Rivers Edge Marina to put the boat in. I have looked at others but truly think that this one is the nicest. If any other good options out there please let me know.

3) I was told the other day that for my first couple of times I should put the boat in 3 hours before low tide so that while coming back to the landing to take the boat out I can see the different caution areas within the river. I assume this is a good idea as I have heard the Ashley River has some areas you really need to be careful around.

4) I use the Navionics App so I have been studying the waterways around Charleston. My wife’s son and girlfriend are coming down next week and providing the weather is good we want to take them out on the boat. I want to possibly go out this Sunday as to try to get a little familiar with things before they get here next weekend. Can anyone suggest somewhere that we can go that is a safe trip for my first or second time out? I am pretty nervous going out from all info I am getting from the people I talk to so I need your thoughts and help. This is not my first boat... This is my 5th boat and have gone to Bimini and the Keys but for some reason I’m stressing here in Charleston.

Thanks Everyone!

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Maybe look at the member map and use the @ feature to ping somebody like
@robert843

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Patsfan67 don’t stress it bud yes the ramp you have selected is great and just follow your charts and you will be good my man. Just curious what company do you work for?

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
To go along with what @robert843 said, while in the intercoastal waterways and the rivers stay in the canal, if you get to far out of the canal it can get shallow really quick. For a nice place to eat on the water and not far from WO Thomas boat ramp, checkout the Charleston Crab House. Their dock isn't that big so if you go during normal eating times, noon for lunch & 6 pm for dinner, you might have trouble finding a spot to park. Another nice place to eat on the water is Shem Creek, I've eaten at all the restaurants there and they are all good.

If the water around the Battery is rough a boat ride up the Ashley River is nice. If the water is decent around the Battery watch your charts and don't get to close to the seawall it gets very shallow. A run up the Cooper River is nice. You should be able to make it up to the train trestle (Strawberry Bridge) and back to WO Thomas without having to refuel.

With your experience of going to Bimini and the Keys, don't stress boating in and around Charleston it is no different than those places.

Rushfan67

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
222S
Boat Length
@Patsfan67 don’t stress it bud yes the ramp you have selected is great and just follow your charts and you will be good my man. Just curious what company do you work for?
I work for a company by the name of NB Handy, we sell commercial low slope roofing, roof coatings, metal coil and metal flat sheet. We also have an HVAC division.

Rushfan67

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
222S
Boat Length
Thank you very much @robert843 and @Andy S for all of your advice. I really appreciate your help and knowledge. I am sure I am overthinking it.