• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Chasing a ghost!!!

GoodCubanito

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
2016 242 Limited S here.... love the boat. However, most of the time when cranking up the port engine (left) I get a steady beeping alarm and a "Check Port Engine" alert on the dash. The beeping alarm that doesn't go away and I have to mute it every few minutes, which ruins the trip. Starboard engine (right) is not giving me any alarm at all. However, other times it doesn't give me any alarm at all... took it to a couple of dealerships and nothing discovered, no codes, no fault, NOTHING... nada, nichts! Batteries are good (well above 12v), and they checked engines, had them running, no issues detected.

Any advice from any of you that might know what could be causing this? Thank you in advance.

Have you tried disconnecting the battery for a few minutes, then reconnecting?

Last edited:
Disconnect batteries. Double check they're disconnected. Triple check they're disconnected. Then touch the positive/negative cables coming from the boat to each other to clear any residual current in the system.

So, I had a similar issue on my SX195... turned out to be the Connext screen. they replaced that, alarm went away (but my screen had also become unresponsive).

I hate these electronic ghosts so hear goes......... ran across ghost in auto systems EMC before (not Yahama) I think one of your sensors is NOT reporting data fast enough on start up, tripping the alarm but the data is not lost for long enough time, to trip a recorded YSD event. Service manual states and event to be recorded it has to occur for a few seconds before it starts recording. I think one of the sensors like oil pressure, air Temp or water temp, or fuel pressure is tripping the alarm but not an event. Some of these sensors if they trip an event (long enough they will put you in limp mode ect...........

Good news an why I like having twins(motor) is I would start swapping sensors from good engine one at a time and see if I could get alarm to stop......only start the engine that has been giving you trouble, and always clear the codes before you try the next sensor. Hopefully one of these will quiet things down.

Just a thought hope this helps a little.

Last edited:
Forgot to add most of these sensors can be metered tested and pressure tested like the oil pressure switch example, they will test good by the dealer or the meter/pressure test......... but its can be sluggish and not report fast enough causing this ghost alarm response . Not an easy find for sure.

My starboard engine is doing that. Turns out to be a bad sensor. They are replacing next week

Mandiime, which sensor? Curious I have the same issue and it will be 2 months before local Yamaha dealer can look at it

Check cooling hoses, it was reported that a bent/kinked cooling hose was their problem. It was on the exit side.

You can look at 2 different exit ports and do a visual if you have a water shortage problem and that could trip a sensor or it might just be the sensor. First the pee ports on the side of boat should be a streaming both should be equal at idle............after warm up the thermostat will open and the hot engine water will exit under the swim platform above the exhaust flapper its a white plastic drain mine is pointing down and it is hot engine water direct from the thermo housing, .....again both should be equal in output if one is lower or no output at all the THERMOSTAT IS STUCK CLOSED.

At lease that is a visual of a possible clog tripping the overheat alarms.

Good luck and let us know how it ends up.

(This is why some of us almost never take our boat to the dealer.... When I reschedule myself, I know it was for a good reason. And I usually show up when I say I will. And I do the job just the way I like it. Of course, then if I mess something up, I have to yell at myself and tell me to fix it, too. But then at least I do.)

(This is why some of us almost never take our boat to the dealer.... When I reschedule myself, I know it was for a good reason. And I usually show up when I say I will. And I do the job just the way I like it. Of course, then if I mess something up, I have to yell at myself and tell me to fix it, too. But then at least I do.)

And, the redo is done at no charge, except for maybe another part or two!

Mandiime, I appreciate you updating us. Mine is still doing it. I cut the wire to the alarm and installed a plug. I leave it unplugged and keep a close eye on pee streams, oil level and watch the screen. I’ve put 20 hours on each motor so far and no issues. Obviously it’s a bad sensor just still don’t know which one.

Overheating on my MR-1s was diagnosed by taking temp readings near the exhaust manifolds. Cylinder #1 was rising over 200F. I would be careful when disconnecting a sensor. Overheating can occurr very quickly.

Mandiime, I appreciate you updating us. Mine is still doing it. I cut the wire to the alarm and installed a plug. I leave it unplugged and keep a close eye on pee streams, oil level and watch the screen. I’ve put 20 hours on each motor so far and no issues. Obviously it’s a bad sensor just still don’t know which one.
My part number for the sensor is 65L-85886-00-00

Back