• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Cheap alternative to replacing air filters on AR240

Dwain Savage

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
3B80001E-0AB7-4669-9B13-1CDB3D8EF604.jpeg A74D5DEE-6D69-42B1-ACCE-FDF12084A5DE.jpeg 144F5395-7567-44BA-9122-980C9566BD73.jpeg AC00C5C1-F513-4707-AE7A-BA00709DADCC.jpeg Not sure if it has been done before. I know I searched high and low to see if anyone’s done it. People have run no filters or gone with the expensive K&N filters with little to no performance benefit. Here’s what I did and it only cost me $50.00 to replace both filters. I went to Advance Autoparts and bought two cone filters by spectre (reusable) part number 8162. It comes with three size spacer rings 4”,3.5”, and 3”. I used the 3.5”. I removed both air boxes, and slipped the cone filters over the intake tubes. The left engine I have zip tied to keep it from flopping, since the intake tube is a soft rubber. I’m going to make a metal bracket next weekend to give it a cleaner look. I took it out yesterday not sure if there was any performance benefit, but the filters were really nasty and needed to be replaced. There was a definite wallet benefit going this route. Hope this helps

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Was that hose factory for the starboard engine. Mine just has both air boxes in front of each engine. No long hose.
How much louder if any is the engine noise while cruising?

Dwain Savage

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I bought the boat used, so not a 100% sure, but I assume it was, since my air box was mounted on the wall in front of the filter. As long as you have 4” or more. These filters will fit

No louder than normal

props2you

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I'm curious if there is any noticeable gain. Have you done the ribbon delete also? Might be a good combo, filter change and ribbon delete...

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Dwain Savage

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have not done the ribbon delete yet, I should’ve done that while I was in there. I may try it this weekend. As for the noise, to me it’s not any louder. It’s already a very noisy boat. Maybe at full throttle, but under normal cruising it seems normal. I’ll look at the RPM at wide open to see if I got anything extra top end. As for now, Im just glad I got new clean filters for over half the price.

Mohamed Z Sherif

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Dwain Savage

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Update! Got the boat out last weekend, did the ribbon delete as well. To me the boat was no louder than normal. Definitely didn’t notice any significant gains in RPM or MPH. Boat topped out at 7750 R and 7900 L. Maxed out at 51mph (GPS) with my wife and I with a full tank of gas. I did feel like the hole shot was better. Boat seems to launch harder, which is great. Could be the placebo effect though. But at the moment I’m happy with the mods. Hope everyone is enjoying their summer!!!

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Definitely didn’t notice any significant gains in RPM or MPH. Boat topped out at 7750 R and 7900 L.
Which would make sense... You are are already hitting hard rev limiter!
Your impellers much have been repitched?

--

Dwain Savage

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Could have been, I just purchased the boat used back in May from a dealer. So I’m not sure what the original owner has done already. I did inspect the impellers and they look great for a boat with 300hrs. So I can only assume they’ve been replaced.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Could have been, I just purchased the boat used back in May from a dealer. So I’m not sure what the original owner has done already. I did inspect the impellers and they look great for a boat with 300hrs. So I can only assume they’ve been replaced.
Reaching the rev limiter and going 52mph at WOT is GREAT! - I would most definitely leave it alone. Unless you experience other issues such as hole shot cavitation.

--

Dwain Savage

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Reaching the rev limiter and going 52mph at WOT is GREAT! - I would most definitely leave it alone. Unless you experience other issues such as hole shot cavitation.

--
Yeah! I’m really impressed with this boat. I had a 96 speedster before this boat and it maxed out at 55mph. I’m really happy and surprised this boat, being as big as it is, it performs really well.