• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Check engine light port side overheating

Joeymorea

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have this strange issue that recently started. When I start up the boat it works great. I am on a canal so it takes about 10 - 15 mins of no-wake speed to get out to open water so engines are at temp at that point. Then when I start cruising 25-30 mph and it takes about 10-15 mins of cruising then I get a random over temp port side. Happens the same way every time. It also goes into limp mode on that side and won't go higher than 3k rpm. wait a few mins turn it back on and over-temp sensor is gone but the check engine light is still on. at that point it will let me run it at any RMP and runs fine. Felt the pissers and didn't notice a temp change between them. Also made sure the batteries were in full charge the last time I went out to make sure that was not the issue. Does anybody have an idea on what this issue could be?

Check your strainer on the port side jet pump. Maybe you have some buildup or there. Look inside the rear of the pump and you’ll see a white rectangular screen. On the outside of the pump you’ll see the rectangular cover for it. Open that and give is a look. Also while you’re down there give your impeller and intake grate a good inspection. Any dings or chips in your impeller as well? Do you notice any cavitation?

Edit - See this thread for how to clean the strainer https://jetboaters.net/threads/how-to-clean-the-cooling-water-intake-strainer.1011/

Check your strainer on the port side jet pump. Maybe you have some buildup or there. Look inside the rear of the pump and you’ll see a white rectangular screen. On the outside of the pump you’ll see the rectangular cover for it. Open that and give is a look. Also while you’re down there give your impeller and intake grate a good inspection. Any dings or chips in your impeller as well? Do you notice any cavitation?

Edit - See this thread for how to clean the strainer https://jetboaters.net/threads/how-to-clean-the-cooling-water-intake-strainer.1011/

I did inspect that and it was clean and nothing on it.

I have this strange issue that recently started. When I start up the boat it works great. I am on a canal so it takes about 10 - 15 mins of no-wake speed to get out to open water so engines are at temp at that point. Then when I start cruising 25-30 mph and it takes about 10-15 mins of cruising then I get a random over temp port side. Happens the same way every time. It also goes into limp mode on that side and won't go higher than 3k rpm. wait a few mins turn it back on and over-temp sensor is gone but the check engine light is still on. at that point it will let me run it at any RMP and runs fine. Felt the pissers and didn't notice a temp change between them. Also made sure the batteries were in full charge the last time I went out to make sure that was not the issue. Does anybody have an idea on what this issue could be?

I had similar problem and found PN#13 was bad
Here's my thread on it.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-12-03 at 6.03.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-03 at 6.03.40 PM.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 16
Yamaha has a history of faulty heat sensors so If the engine is not really overheating "check exhaust manifold and muffler with a non contact thermometer " then you may have a bad sensor, been there with a 2014 model once , they replaced a sensor and the issue went away. My issue was not as constant as what you described but it would act up all the time and send the engine into limp mode then after a few minutes of being shut off the engine would work fine .

Back