• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Chicago air show

R00st

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Looking like 10-20 mph winds as of right now. Has anyone been on Lake Michigan in 15-20 mph winds? I am thinking those are some pretty good sized rollers, especially for a jet boat. Hopefully the wind forecast decreases, otherwise we may have to reconsider our plans.

shane hric

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
There is a small water craft advisory for this evening and Saturday, with showers and thunderstorms. Waves vary from 2-5 ft depending on various locations around the lake. That cancels my plans for boating tomorrow and unfortunately I can't make Sunday due to prior plans.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Screenshot_20160819-184633.png
3-6 footers with occasional 8 footer. Sorry guys but boating is not going to be good this weekend. Huge bummer. Be safe and don't try it.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I saw some of the planes as i was stuck in traffic on 94 on my way home Saturday.
Waves still saying 4-6 with occasional 8.

R00st

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Well, we tried it ! My buddy found a map that showed wave levels on the lake itself and it showed 1-2 feet on the south eastern shore line. We decided to risk it knowing we could always just enjoy the river and canal if conditions on the lake were bad.

The cal sag going in was a bit choppy but that was mostly due to the large number of Baja's that felt the need to do 50mph.... the weather warmed up around 11 and we casually made our way to the lock. Made it through and saw some moderate waves (2-4 footers) beyond the breaker wall. We tried to park in the play pen, inside the breaker wall but Chicago pd wasn't having it, so we had to move.

We ventured out into the lake and I kept it fairly slow. I knew being out there In a 24 footer was risky enough but was shocked to see quite a few 19 footers. We only went about 1/2 mile before I notoced the shoreline wasnt much calmer so we turned back. A rogue wave came up over the bow and fried my girlfriend's iPhone...it had to be an 8 footer. I was never so happy to return to calm waters. How those maniacs on 19 footers survived I don't know!

The river was gorgeous as always but I had my fill of cruising just off idle for two hours! I'm lookimg forward to the Peoria run In the coming months.

shane hric

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Well Damn...good on you for trying...ha ha ha! Well @Speedling and I are monitoring the waves for the weekend and right now it looks like 0-2 ft. waves in the Portage area. We are talking about doing some boating if your interested?

R00st

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I live in Oregon il (southwest of Rockford) so the big lake is a pretty long hike for me two weekends in a row. Im not a huge fan of city traffic either. I am following the Peoria run, so hopefully can meet some of you then (if not sooner)!

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Thunderstorms all across the area but waves are going to be low and wind out of the south. We are hoping it clears up a bit by the morning and we can go out of portage.