• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Choosing a boat

FighterJett

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
greetings! As an evolving adult living in the Tampa Bay Area, I decided to quit screwing around and get a boat. It’s time to get rid of the Harley’s and get a “family friendly” recreation platform.

With the information overload at my fingertips, even deciding on a unit has become a full time job. I’ve been looking at the 2006-2012 Sea Doos (Challengers mostly though). With the supercharger and wear ring issues, I shyed away from those a bit. I’ve been leaning heavily towards the AR190/192. The aft seating looks like a huge plus for beaching on a sand bar and swimming with the kids.

My limiting criteria: 7’ garage door height(I think I’ve read 20 threads on this); 2 car garage(not very deep(possibly 21’); searing for 5+; towing with a 2016 Ford Explorer (for now).

Any ideas, opinions or advice would be outstanding. I’ve dealt with airplanes and motorcycles for 20 years, but this is a new arena for me. I look forward to some ideas!!

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I was in the same situation last year. Wanted to buy used, ended up buying new. After my research, Yamaha was the only way to go. If you buy new, the dealer will come out and see if the boat will fit in your garage before purchase. If you go that route, I reccomend finding the cheapest place in the country and making your dealer match. Sunset (I think that is what they care called) down in Ft. Meyers would match, Barney's St.Pete would not, Cycle Springs would. Cycle Springs also offers a refund on your Yamaha warranty if you don't use it in the extended years, and lifetime engine warranty. Service from them is a different story but the sales process was really smooth, and they took us out for an hour or two to teach me how to drive it, dock, and trailer.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm for buying used when it relates to boats. Depreciation is a falling brick, and most painful issues tend to happen during the warranty period, if any.

You can save a great deal of money and pay cash or fix yourself quickly if you ever have a problem, vs. big money and long waits with frustrating dealer after purchase service, that's already paid for, so you have zero leverage when things don't go your way.

Many have a good experience buying new, but there are enough dealer warranty horror stories, and enough initial quality complaints, and such large depreciation that it seems to me the "new" cost is not offset by the benefits, while buying used is a slam dunk.

There are many opinions on this on the board. That above is only my humble opinion.

If you like boating, this is an awesome investment. You will get years of fun, but you have to use it often for it to pay off. That's where the "happy when bought and sold" saying comes from. Must be used often to be enjoyed.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
If you like boating, this is an awesome investment. You will get years of fun, but you have to use it often for it to pay off. That's where the "happy when bought and sold" saying comes from. Must be used often to be enjoyed.
This. I will have my boat out probably 40 times this year. If I only took it out 10-15 times, it would be a waste of money IMO.

Lpennington

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We bought our 1st boat last fall. I had a hard time finding anything used within a few hours of us so I had to go new. I would definitely look for used. Re: your garage you will have to check if height will work but also double check your garage width. The garage depth seems fine if you get a 19 footer.

Shiver

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am sorta in this same position, deciding between 2 jet ski or boat. But I am looking at the boats and deciding between the 19’ and 21-23’. I would love to get a 21-23’ because of the twin engines and I’m not sure if the 19’ would be under powered. Storage becomes an issue for me as a boat storage would add another expense but the 19’ would fit in my garage. From what I have read if you do not have a problem with storage then you will want more boat than a 19’

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Love our 190. We have it loaded when we head out. See the Yamaha Challenge youtube video. Aside from all the gear we usually have 2 families aboard as well. Never had a problem. We tuck the boat in our garage and fold the tongue, no issues. Its been a dream owing our Yamaha, easy towing, easy maintenance, easy ownership, and easy on the wallet.

FighterJett

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Those are some great takeaways. The used vs. new dynamic is a tough one to wrestle with. Most would agree that any warranty work is painful and time-consuming.

Going used can either be a money-saving venture, or a horrible inheritance of someone’s headaches. I am definitely leaning Yamaha though. Now the supercharged vs. non s/c comes to mind...is it worth it?

I’ve been looking through Cycle Springs’ inventory, and I’ll keep looking around. It seems to me that most used units aren’t depreciating too much. I like the tower on the newer models a lot.

What issues(if any), exist with older Yamaha models of the single engine, 19’ variety?

Y’all seem like a great community, and I appreciate all of your input!

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The savings on used come from finding good deals, many from individuals. Dealers tack on a few grand on top, so newer boats From dealers are not the best deal. Find it before they trade it in.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
[QUOTE="FighterJett, post: 289446, member: 10395"}
I’ve been looking through Cycle Springs’ inventory, and I’ll keep looking around. It seems to me that most used units aren’t depreciating too much. I like the tower on the newer models a lot.

[/QUOTE]

This is what I found in our area. Even 14,15s where only a few grand less than what I could find a new '17 for. Add in the features added in 2017 for the 210 (hinged seats, sound deadening, connext)... it was a no brainer. I would also look into the differences between years to determine what year is best for you.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We found our 190 from an owner here on the classifieds. I liked buying from an enthusiast who was "into" boating and the jet boat culture because I got the feeling he was more interested in maintaining his boat vs a casual non boater. After speaking with him on the phone I knew I had the right boat and boat owner because we were both OCD about stuff. He explained how he didn't allow sun screen, Dorito's, Cheeto's, red wine, etc because of staining, explained how and when he waxed the boat, covered the boat, cleaned the vinyl, did the maintenance and so on.... There are some great used boats out there. Just have to take your time and find it. Don't be afraid to drive. Our boat came from NJ to GA. Boats get a few months of use in the North before being stashed for the winters.

DBamaC

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
What issues(if any), exist with older Yamaha models of the single-engine, 19’ variety?
The 19' Yamaha singles have only been around since (I think) 2012, so "older" is not really that old. As for issues, I don't think there are all that many for the 190 or 192's...maybe even less than some of the larger boats, it seems. You, of course, have one less engine to have issues with and to maintain which is great unless it stops working. I do wonder sometimes if the relatively few issues on record with the supercharged engines (other than gas consumption complaints :rolleyes:) is because there are relatively few in the wild, but mine has been reliable as have others on this board.

There are some design things that sort of annoy me:
  • Noise...that's common to all the older Yamahas
  • I don't like that a spotter can't sit backward with their back against the port console because their head will hit the windshield.
  • I hate the lift up glove box door spring....'cause it just doesn't work.
  • I hate that the radio is in the said glove box which forced me to add on an RF remote to keep from dealing with the spring.
  • I hate the one dial POS radio in mine that is being replaced this year.
  • A lot of people don't like that you have to step on the seat to get in the cockpit from the rear seating area (although that can be fixed).
  • It would be cool to have a dedicated anchor locker, but you only have so much space and deleting it was probably the wise decision.
  • I REALLY hated the stern lighting....which I changed.
To be told, the 19's are great little boats...when compared to other similarly sized and most slightly larger boats in my opinion. I don't think I would trade it for an AR210 unless it was an even trade as they have only a little more space and worse performance (than the 192s). I do occasionally find myself pursuing 212X's, but the additional cost usually straightens me out (both boat cost and tow vehicle cost...I tow with a 4Runner and I would probably have to buy a truck if I bought a 212). I definitely have no desire for a 240. If I decide to spend that money I'm going inboard...that's just me.

For the money I have in mine, I have have a boat I like and I never feel like I HAVE to get to the lake to justify the expense. I go to the lake when I want to relax...or my wife tells me to.

Last edited:

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The 19' Yamaha singles have only been around since (I think) 2012, so "older" is not really that old. As for issues, I don't think there are all that many for the 190 or 192's...maybe even less than some of the larger boats, it seems. You, of course, have one less engine to have issues with and to maintain which is great unless it stops working. I do wonder sometimes if the relatively few issues on record with the supercharged engines (other than gas consumption complaints :rolleyes:) is because there are relatively few in the wild, but mine has been reliable as have others on this board.

There are some design things that sort of annoy me:
  • Noise...that's common to all the older Yamahas
  • I don't like that a spotter can't sit backward with their back against the port console because their head will hit the windshield.
  • I hate the lift up glove box door spring....'cause it just doesn't work.
  • I hate that the radio is in the said glove box which forced me to add on an RF remote to keep from dealing with the spring.
  • I hate the one dial POS radio in mine that is being replaced this year.
  • A lot of people don't like that you have to step on the seat to get in the cockpit from the rear seating area (although that can be fixed).
  • It would be cool to have a dedicated anchor locker, but you only have so much space and deleting it was probably the wise decision.
  • I REALLY hated the stern lighting....which I changed.
To be told, the 19's are great little boats...when compared to other similarly sized and most slightly larger boats in my opinion. I don't think I would trade it for an AR210 unless it was an even trade as they don't have only a little more space and worse performance (than the 192s). I do occasionally find myself pursuing 212X's, but the additional cost usually straightens me out (both boat cost and tow vehicle cost...I tow with a 4Runner and I would probably have to buy a truck if I bought a 212). I definitely have no desire for a 240. If I decide to spend that money I'm going inboard...that's just me.

For the money I have in mine, I have have a boat I like and I never feel like I HAVE to get to the lake to justify the expense. I go to the lake when I want to relax...or my wife tells me to.
As a 210 owner, I sometimes wish I could hit 50 mph. Then I realize that I would only do that every once and a while. 44 to 45 mph on the lieometer seems ok. I have seen 48 on it, on glass with me only. I have a buddy with a 192 and with 4 to 5 people on the boat, he can't keep up with us. Especially out of the hole. In hindsight though we would have been just fine with the 192 as we typically have had no more 4 adults and 4 kids at one time. We even wakeboarded as well. Most of our friends all have boats.

The 192/ 190 is a great boat and fits it purpose. Besides we always want the bigger and badest boat. Sometimes it just breaks down to money. Like this thread has mentioned these boats don't see the depreciation of the typical stern drive boat. There is just not as many of them out as compared to the stern drives.

Brandon_SC

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
greetings! As an evolving adult living in the Tampa Bay Area, I decided to quit screwing around and get a boat. It’s time to get rid of the Harley’s and get a “family friendly” recreation platform.

With the information overload at my fingertips, even deciding on a unit has become a full time job. I’ve been looking at the 2006-2012 Sea Doos (Challengers mostly though). With the supercharger and wear ring issues, I shyed away from those a bit. I’ve been leaning heavily towards the AR190/192. The aft seating looks like a huge plus for beaching on a sand bar and swimming with the kids.

My limiting criteria: 7’ garage door height(I think I’ve read 20 threads on this); 2 car garage(not very deep(possibly 21’); searing for 5+; towing with a 2016 Ford Explorer (for now).

Any ideas, opinions or advice would be outstanding. I’ve dealt with airplanes and motorcycles for 20 years, but this is a new arena for me. I look forward to some ideas!!
I researched boats for like 11 years before making my first purchase. I always came back to the Yamaha 230 models. These can still be found in good to great shape, and the maintenance/use/payment cost to total enjoyment ratio is awesome. With my family, it is the perfect boat with the perfect layout. Jet skis are fun... have owned two... but with a family I'd encourage you towards a boat. Then when you strike it rich, buy two jet skis to go with it, lol. ;)
Welcome to the forum!

FighterJett

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Those are some great takeaways. The used vs. new dynamic is a tough one to wrestle with. Most would agree that any warranty work is painful and time-consuming.

Going used can either be a money-saving venture, or a horrible inheritance of someone’s headaches. I am definitely leaning Yamaha though. Now the supercharged vs. non s/c comes to mind...is it worth it?

What issues(if any), exist with older Yamaha models of the single engine, 19’ variety?

Y’all seem like a great community, and I appreciate all of your input!

FighterJett

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I researched boats for like 11 years before making my first purchase. I always came back to the Yamaha 230 models. These can still be found in good to great shape, and the maintenance/use/payment cost to total enjoyment ratio is awesome. With my family, it is the perfect boat with the perfect layout. Jet skis are fun... have owned two... but with a family I'd encourage you towards a boat. Then when you strike it rich, buy two jet skis to go with it, lol. ;)
Welcome to the forum!
It’s interesting you mention the skis...when I was looking a few years ago, I liked the idea of skis, but I wanted the ability to lounge with the family on the boat. In my searches, the only place I found the combo 19-21’ boat with 2 ski trailer, was in California...but that’s for after striking it rich.haha

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My 2 pennies on the new/used question:

Mine was my first boat. I mean really first: never had one growing up, never really went boating much, but had gone a few times with a friend and decided it was too much fun and I should join the club. Not really knowing anything about boats (other than what I read, researched, asked, etc.), I decided to buy new because the warranty gave me comfort and because I would not know what to look for buying new (and I am probably too cheap to get a good survey...).

Since then I have learned several things:
1) It is very, very frequently more trouble to pull the boat out and to the dealer than it is to just fix it myself.
2) The dealer is @#$@$% expensive. Oil change for my 2 engines and normal service for 10 hours was ~$500.
3) These boats are simple. Really. Few moving parts. If you have ever worked on a car, you will see there is little difference and little to learn.
4) Corollary to #3: the maintenance is really simple and easy to do.

So, if I had to do it all over again, I probably would buy used. Don't regret the prior decision, but I know more now.

FighterJett

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
My 2 pennies on the new/used question:

Mine was my first boat. I mean really first: never had one growing up, never really went boating much, but had gone a few times with a friend and decided it was too much fun and I should join the club. Not really knowing anything about boats (other than what I read, researched, asked, etc.), I decided to buy new because the warranty gave me comfort and because I would not know what to look for buying new (and I am probably too cheap to get a good survey...).

Since then I have learned several things:
1) It is very, very frequently more trouble to pull the boat out and to the dealer than it is to just fix it myself.
2) The dealer is @#$@$% expensive. Oil change for my 2 engines and normal service for 10 hours was ~$500.
3) These boats are simple. Really. Few moving parts. If you have ever worked on a car, you will see there is little difference and little to learn.
4) Corollary to #3: the maintenance is really simple and easy to do.

So, if I had to do it all over again, I probably would buy used. Don't regret the prior decision, but I know more now.
at per

That’s a great perspective that I’ve been thinking heavily about. If the depreciation was greater(or the availability of used boats was higher), I’d be all over a used 19’ boat. I am somewhat mechanically inclined, being an airplane mechanic, and wrenching on my motorcycles. Saving $5-$7,000 would make the decision a little easier. The general consensus since my first post seems to be that going used is a pretty sound decision, and outweighs the cost of going new. I’ve expanded my search area to several hundred miles from home, but folks seem to love their Yamaha vessels...but I’m on the hunt for a mutually beneficial deal.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
If you wrench on airplanes and motorcycles than these boats will be a no brainer for you. Find a used one is my vote too. Welcome to the forum.

FighterJett

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
If you wrench on airplanes and motorcycles than these boats will be a no brainer for you. Find a used one is my vote too. Welcome to the forum.
Thanks! I’m definitely looking used now. So far, the quality/reliability seems to be there with the Yamaha models. I’ve been digging pretty deep to find the dirty secrets about major issues, but I’m not finding any. A big consideration is supercharged vs non. As @djetok astutely pointed out, top speed isn’t always on the agenda, especially with family on board in often crowded channels. I haven’t found anything “cheap” enough to justify going used...but the search continues.