• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Choosing a boat

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I am sorta in this same position, deciding between 2 jet ski or boat. But I am looking at the boats and deciding between the 19’ and 21-23’. I would love to get a 21-23’ because of the twin engines and I’m not sure if the 19’ would be under powered. Storage becomes an issue for me as a boat storage would add another expense but the 19’ would fit in my garage. From what I have read if you do not have a problem with storage then you will want more boat than a 19’
Buy a 19 and a jet ski :D

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Those are some great takeaways. The used vs. new dynamic is a tough one to wrestle with. Most would agree that any warranty work is painful and time-consuming.

Going used can either be a money-saving venture, or a horrible inheritance of someone’s headaches. I am definitely leaning Yamaha though. Now the supercharged vs. non s/c comes to mind...is it worth it?

I’ve been looking through Cycle Springs’ inventory, and I’ll keep looking around. It seems to me that most used units aren’t depreciating too much. I like the tower on the newer models a lot.

What issues(if any), exist with older Yamaha models of the single engine, 19’ variety?

Y’all seem like a great community, and I appreciate all of your input!
Is the super charger necessary, absolutely not. However after owning both I’ve never regretted getting my 195!

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Airplane mechanic? Really?

That turns this into a complete no-brainer. Look, you already know what to look for in inspecting an engine. You are so far ahead of the normal person, it is not even funny. Buy a used boat, look it over good, and save yourself the cash. This is not magic. Especially for you, of all people. Jump in, son! Look at some boat and see if, applying your normal aeromechanic sense, it seems right from the engine side. Then go for it. And all the rest you can figure out and we can help you with.

And remember: this is all for enjoyment. That might include fixing up something you missed or that went wrong. All part of the adventure.

FighterJett

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Airplane mechanic? Really?

That turns this into a complete no-brainer. Look, you already know what to look for in inspecting an engine. You are so far ahead of the normal person, it is not even funny. Buy a used boat, look it over good, and save yourself the cash. This is not magic. Especially for you, of all people. Jump in, son! Look at some boat and see if, applying your normal aeromechanic sense, it seems right from the engine side. Then go for it. And all the rest you can figure out and we can help you with.

And remember: this is all for enjoyment. That might include fixing up something you missed or that went wrong. All part of the adventure.
I’m definitely looking for a used one. I did a horrible thing and already looked up possible mods for it. The initial savings of several thousands could be used to turn it up just a bit. And, I may need some more metric tools

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Oh, that is a bad thing about our site. We do encourage spending money on mods. Sorry about that. We were going to hold off until after you bought one.

kyle

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am OCD about all my toys so I can't stand to think that someone before me didn't take care of their boat so we went new. The size was a big issue for us because we needed to pull it with my wife's 4runner when I was towing the camper with the truck. So we were stuck with a 19ft. I knew we would always be loaded full so I wanted the extra power of supercharger. All I can say is we freaking love it. This little boat is a rocket, tons of storage, and relatively maintenance free. One engine vs two means preventative maintenance is cheap.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Oh, that is a bad thing about our site. We do encourage spending money on mods. Sorry about that. We were going to hold off until after you bought one.
(well, we were not all going to hold off...) :rolleyes:

FighterJett

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I appreciate the consideration. However, if I don’t know what’s out there, I’ll never be able to set goals. I’d actually appreciate more products, so I can choose the next upgrade...you know, in the name of safety and economy. I’ve been reading some stories about stranded vessels. The rescue craft was too small and underpowered to evecuate the passengers and/or tow the boat to safety. I think I owe it to my fellow mariners to at least be equipped with enough dirty, glorious power, to render assistance. I’ve already set a limit though. I figure 300hp is enough, unless someone can get me to 400.

FighterJett

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I am OCD about all my toys so I can't stand to think that someone before me didn't take care of their boat so we went new. The size was a big issue for us because we needed to pull it with my wife's 4runner when I was towing the camper with the truck. So we were stuck with a 19ft. I knew we would always be loaded full so I wanted the extra power of supercharger. All I can say is we freaking love it. This little boat is a rocket, tons of storage, and relatively maintenance free. One engine vs two means preventative maintenance is cheap.
Annnnnd, the pendulum swings yet again towards supercharged.

Rowdie

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Rentz in clearwater I think has a really nice 19 AR 2016? with like ten hours on it for sale.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The Yamaha's are a great product. No, they aren't the best-built boats out there, but overall for the price, they are good. It is now "boat show season' and Yamaha may have some good incentives toward a new one that you can't get on a used. I personally have purchased two new Yamaha's (a 2009 in 2012 and a 2017 in 2017) and both have been dependable all around boats. Do they do any one particular thing exceptionally well, no, but they are great if you want to cruise, lounge at the cove, or even pull someone on a tube/board.

Since my boat spends most of the summer in Lake Tahoe and the nearest dealer from there is 100 miles and down a 7,000 foot pass, I typically don't have service things done during the season. In stead I keep a list and check it in for warranty work at the end of the season. Most of the items on my list are small...a trim question here, a leaky ballast bag, etc. Things I lived through during the season, but are now fixed.

As for buying used, if there's a good used one nearby...go for it. these boats are mechanically simple and there's tons of help here on the forum to help you out with any question that may arise.

DBamaC

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
If I was in FL looking for a used 19’, I’d at least have a few conversations with @ArmyChief (his boat is listed In the classifieds). He seems like he takes great care of his ‘15 192 and he’s done some nice upgrades...many of which you are gonna want eventually anyway. Find out how bad he wants that bigger boat.

FighterJett

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
It’s been a bit since I’ve been actively engaged on here. In an effort to be somewhat responsible, I’m weighing my crazy work schedule with my purchase timeline. I’m really leaning towards buying a boat in November now. It’ll be slightly cooler, but that’ll give me some time to master launching/trailering the boat (not crowded/rushed), without being a total asshat at the ramp. Without a full four seasons, I’m wondering if there’s any savings by purchasing at that time.

druppert

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Welcome to the forum. I was in your same spot (also in Tampa) about a year ago. I wanted something suitable for river/inland waters, a small group (4 or less except in very rare situations) & simple enough to maintain myself. The 19’ Yamaha checked all of the boxes. One thing I don’t see many talk about in the 190/195 comparison is the OTHER differences you get for the extra $5k. The interior has some significant upgrades including carpet, upholstery, materials used (black plastic vs aluminum), radio, swim deck material, & sound system just to name the things that come to mind.

Then there’s the engine & from what I’m told the difference there is also significant. It’s not so much the top speed since, as it turns out, boats under 20 feet are not very comfortable at speeds over 40 unless the water is glassy. However getting to planing speed adds to the fun factor & it’s nice to have the extra punch when needed. I was not concerned about burning 3 more gallons of premium fuel per boating trip so that wasn’t really a concern. If $10/outing is going to make your decision you probably shouldn’t buy a boat. I have heard of people buying a 190 & wishing for more power. I have yet to hear of anyone saying “I wish I had the less powerful version.”

You will love the fact that non-boating time of the year are measured in days not weeks or months but it does create much more stable prices. I bought mine new in January & got what I think is a good deal @ Barney’s ($3k off MSRP) & the promo financing was great at 2.99 for 60 mo. I ended up paying it off early but it’s a good deal to buy new for that reason.

Ilmmct

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@FighterJett I don’t think you can count on “always” getting a better deal by acquiring a boat after the primary boating season has ended. The are many reasons Sellers might “take” a low-ish price during the boating season (e.g. relocation, next dream-boat arrival, etc ). When buying in the Fall, you also have to consider the potential depreciation hit, since your “new to you” boat essentially becomes one year older, before you get much use from it.

I bought my used 2008 SX230 at a great price because the Seller moved out of state and wanted the sale closed quickly. I sold my 2008 at a great price, because my cost basis was low and my “new to me” 2013 242 LS was already on my lift.

DBamaC

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I agree with @druppert and @Ilmmct that waiting until the fall doesn't necessarily mean a better deal. One caveat might be that if you are willing to travel north, there might be deals on both new and used boats starting in about August because of their weather/boating season. It certainly seems to be the case after watching pricing for several years now.

When I purchased, I was more interested in the overall deal (price, location, accessories already on the boat, visual condition and confidence that the boat had been properly cared for (obviously, I bought used). The way I looked at it was, this was a luxury item (not really needed), but one that I planned on keeping for a fairly long period of time. I also felt like I needed something to help get my life where I wanted it (code for "middle-aged"). If I ended up paying a little more for a boat that I felt good about, over the years of ownership that difference would be negligible. That was acceptable to me and I ended up paying about $1k above my maximum I'd set in my mind. I don't regret it though. In the 3.5 years I've owned her, we've managed to rack up over 100 hours due to nearly complete reliability. That is with having serious issues with my geriatric parents that has taken a lot of my time and a real toll on my and my families psyche. I've really, really needed the time I've spent on the lake to keep my mind where it needs to be and that extra $1K would have been eaten up quickly in either repair costs and/or couch time had I not found the right boat.

If a boat is what you REALLY want, don't get overly hung up on the deal. Just make sure it's REALLY what you want.

Good luck.