• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Clanking noise near oil cooler (AR230HO)

wajetter

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Split the head from the block.
Head gasket is showing a potential leak spot at cyl 1, which may explain low compression. In addition to valve lash being too tight

Attachments

wajetter

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Took the crankshaft to a shop that specializes in polishing and grinding. Findings:
- The main of the crankshaft is not exactly straight, the shaft itself is bent.
-Cyl 4 journal diameter is 4/1000 less than #3
- Cyl 4 journal itself is not round, it is oval.
So, looks like a new crankshaft is needed

wajetter

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ordered a new #4 rod assembly, Green pair of bearings and a crankshaft.
The place I ordered from is Northern Crankshafts in New York. They recommended the Green bearings.

@Brad_Ct have you dealt with matching a new rod to old crankcase and rods with their bearings?

Brad_Ct

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ordered a new #4 rod assembly, Green pair of bearings and a crankshaft.
The place I ordered from is Northern Crankshafts in New York. They recommended the Green bearings.

@Brad_Ct have you dealt with matching a new rod to old crankcase and rods with their bearings?
I have not and have wondered about the same thing. For some reason Yamaha bearings are by color and would guess that correlates to if they are standard, .010 over etc.. If the place you are buying the crank from recommended green bearings I would think all the rod bearings should be green. I know for main bearings the color is on the outside of the block and they are not always the same, you can have 1 different than the others. When you get the new crank I would measure both the rod and main journals on the old and new one to see if there is a difference between the two. You might also want to use plastigage to verify clearances.

Last edited:

wajetter

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If the place you are buying the crank from recommended green bearings I would think all the rod bearings should be green.
I ordered only the pair of green bearings for #4 ,not others. Sounds like I'll need to buy the plastigauge and measure clearances for all main bearings and all journal bearings.

Brad_Ct

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I ordered only the pair of green bearings for #4 ,not others. Sounds like I'll need to buy the plastigauge and measure clearances for all main bearings and all journal bearings.
If you don’t have one go buy a decent digital micrometer, they are not that expensive and will give you more exact measurement.

wajetter

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you don’t have one go buy a decent digital micrometer, they are not that expensive and will give you more exact measurement.
I have one from Harbour Freight. But, I have hard trouble trusting it.