• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Clean out plugs got a real workout the past two days

McMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
At least 8 separate times for sticks and general garbage. Unbelievable the crap out there after a month of rain, but we have family in from out of town that wanted to tube and whatnot while they are here. Only had to pull the boat once to get a plastic fruit cup out of the impeller. Once I figured out how to get it out on land, I was able to handle the rest on the water. Traveling through the locks on the way to Pittsburgh was the worst. Just full of debris. At one point when the lock gates opened I though I was looking at a landfill. I powered up to the crap then cut the engines and drifted through. Still picked up debris. No clean out plugs would have been a disaster. This is the first I've had to get junk out in the 45 hours that I've run the boat, but I'm sold on the plugs.

I didn't have a boat when I lived there, but I remember what the locks looked like. I couldn't imagine trying to traverse that

We went to Cheat Lake on Thursday and it wasn't much better. Floating branches everywhere. That's where I picked up the fruit cup. :(

@McMark i feel ya. I have been in my ports all weekend. Even got a taste of my first overheat after sucking up some lilly pads! All good and glad we have them.

Is there anything you can do to prevent a blowout? Other than the obvious (making sure they are in fully and locked?) Do blowouts only happen bc they were not fully secured?

Oh yea, the locks on the river are horrible. I don't think I would ever transition the locks in my boat again. It's a shame because the river (Ohio) is a lot of fun. Did a trip to Pittsburgh and had to transition 3 locks and ended up the same way. They are like garbage cans!

Is there anything you can do to prevent a blowout? Other than the obvious (making sure they are in fully and locked?) Do blowouts only happen bc they were not fully secured?

@Trevor Shipman That's the million dollar question, Yamaha says plugs only blow when they are installed wrong but we have members who swear the plugs were installed correctly and double checked and still had a blow out. The best insurance is a set of Cobra locks, inexpensive, simple formula and impossible for dogs to release if the locks are on, you would have to have the dogs to shear off to have a blow out,

Yea Trevor. Get the cobra locks.

Thanks! Just watched the YouTube on them, one of those things you don't feel like spending $50 on but would kick yourself if it ruined a boat day!

Thanks guys!

Last edited:
Last week I was in the Burgh visiting the family. While at Kenneywood riding the train, my 4 year old son looked down at the Mon and said "Gross! Is that a river?". Lol! The kid has only seen crystal clear blue waters of South Florida.

Last week I was in the Burgh visiting the family. While at Kenneywood riding the train, my 4 year old son looked down at the Mon and said "Gross! Is that a river?". Lol! The kid has only seen crystal clear blue waters of South Florida.

Don't ever tell him about the Cuyahoga River catching fire in Cleveland. :confused:

image.jpg

Reading these comments i must admit I'm shocked at the amount of debris that is mentioned in the American rivers, Living in Thailand yes we get the odd plastic bag discarded by irresponsible fishermen that gets washed into local waters but generally i never see problems like this it sounds unbelievable that local authorities allow this to happen without monitoring the situation and operating a clean up procedure, As for these blow out plugs i must admit i have never had this happen and cant understand how it happens if the plugs are installed correctly and serviced after use, When i have finished using my Boat i just drop them in a bucket of soapy water for a few days while the Boat is cleaned inside and out then rinse them off and allow to dry and use a lubricating spray to lubricate the locks and rubber seals and use the same procedure by wiping around where the locks mount and give them a spray also, When using the Boat again i refit them and give them a real good tug to check there located correctly, It stuns me to think they can blow out if fitted and maintained correctly when they seem such a good clever design, I can only think that maybe they hadn't been looked after and the locking mechanisms were sticky and not seating correctly, I have never had this happen in 10 years touch wood.

IMG_2987.JPG

Did you see the lock at Kennywood? That's the one that really had a lot of crap in it. Including a dead beaver. The rivers aren't usually this bad but it rained every day in June. That was Friday, July 3rd. If we can get a week of no rain that would really get them nice looking again.

Yes! It was nasty indeed.
Did you see the lock at Kennywood? That's the one that really had a lot of crap in it. Including a dead beaver. The rivers aren't usually this bad but it rained every day in June. That was Friday, July 3rd. If we can get a week of no rain that would really get them nice looking again.

Back